The Student Room Group

How to work/revise in medical school

Hi, I'm starting Medicine at university in September. I'm a little worried about how I'm going to arrange my revision material and actually revise.
What I mean is, in school you get given the notes to fill out and revise from. I'm a good learner and rote learning of vast amounts of material is one of my strong points, however, making my own notes is a major weak point, I've given it a go but I always end u writing it out near enough word for word from the textbook (for fear of missing out key words or phrasing things in a way examiners won't like) so I just reverted back to revising from my notes and books.

I know you sometimes get lecture notes and slides but I've been led to believe that you're always going to have to do some note taking or annotation of your own,then write it up at home. I can see myself struggling with this at some stage.

Can any current or past medical students give me some advice on best to go about making your own notes in terms of how much detail is required an how many sources to use and any sources to use or avoid? Also, what revision techniques do you find useful. My best technique is just reading to try and understand and get a feel for the topic, then going over it again to learn it off and then supplementing that with past paper questions. However, I want to try and expand that into other things like perhaps flash cards etc so I'm just wondering what others have found effective in the past?

Sorry if I rambled, any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Tom
Original post by Tom R
Hi, I'm starting Medicine at university in September. I'm a little worried about how I'm going to arrange my revision material and actually revise.
What I mean is, in school you get given the notes to fill out and revise from. I'm a good learner and rote learning of vast amounts of material is one of my strong points, however, making my own notes is a major weak point, I've given it a go but I always end u writing it out near enough word for word from the textbook (for fear of missing out key words or phrasing things in a way examiners won't like) so I just reverted back to revising from my notes and books.

I know you sometimes get lecture notes and slides but I've been led to believe that you're always going to have to do some note taking or annotation of your own,then write it up at home. I can see myself struggling with this at some stage.

Can any current or past medical students give me some advice on best to go about making your own notes in terms of how much detail is required an how many sources to use and any sources to use or avoid? Also, what revision techniques do you find useful. My best technique is just reading to try and understand and get a feel for the topic, then going over it again to learn it off and then supplementing that with past paper questions. However, I want to try and expand that into other things like perhaps flash cards etc so I'm just wondering what others have found effective in the past?

Sorry if I rambled, any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

I would suggest it depends on what type of medicine course you are doing. By this I mean is they course your going to study PBL or course integrated.

My course is intregrated meaning we have a lot of lectures, with tutorials, and practicals mixed in. This means I print of lecture notes, make any additional points that the lecture mentions or I want to clarify. I also record the lectures. Because the course run in this manner I only look to other sources if im stuck. If not, i just use what info we have been given!!! I think this would be very different at a PBL uni.

At revision time I take my lecture notes, condense them and put them onto posters which I then learn. Others in my year can learn by making notes, purely reading the lecture slides (i have no idea how this works but it does!!!), que cards, making up practice questions. Its trial and error to see whats right with you.

Best of luck!
Please look into finding out different methods to make your own notes, personally I put it into bullet points and memorise. I got this advice from a junior doctor, who has to take lots of patients notes and condense down information from other doctors when you hopefully enter the NHS.
Reply 3
At this stage you should really know what works for you i.e. posters/notes or just reading through the lectures or both. I agree with what Dora said about knowing the structure of your course too, my course is Integrated and so we get a lot of additional information/work-booklets it can get overwhelming but once you condense it things fall into place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending