The Student Room Group

My boyfriends dad is addicted to drugs

Since I've known my boyfriend, his father has always been his biggest problem. As a friend I listened and tried to understand, then we got together and his struggle with his dad became harder than I ever thought. Since he was a child, his dad has always struggled with drugs/alcohol and depression. He used to take strong pain killers etc but came of them as my boyfriend was growing up.

Then his dad started back up on drugs recently, unknown to my boyfriend. Then his dad offered him cocaine one night which my boyfriend declined angrily. His dad isn't a good role model and depends on his son more than he should,and doesn't look after him much. It's so sad to watch because my boyfiend loves his dad and used to view him so highly. Now he just wants away from him, but he's the only one he's got.

Last night his dad revealed that he had been taking a drug similar to heroin and now realised he had to stop. He's going to go to classes etc and is currently going through the withdrawal phase.

My boyfriend is trying to be there for him as much as he can. But I can tell this is seriously bringing him down. His relationship with his father is completely different now and they'll never be as close as they were which au can tell is breaking his heart.

I just want to take him away from it all because I can see how damaging it is for him and how bad his father is for him to be around. I'm being there for him, listening, and trying to take his mind of it but I seriously feel like he'll fall into depression. His relationship with his father has damaged his mental health so much over the years and I don't want it to happen now. And you know what? He's only 17! No one that age should have to deal with that:frown: What can/should I do to help?
Reply 1
Try and get your boyfriend away from him. And try to get off whatever drugs you are doing as well, as that can also have a bad effect on him. Make sure he is surrounded with good role models overall and he should be fine!

Quick Reply