The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Crawley, Gillingham, Portsmouth and Luton. All complete ****holes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, says a person from Coventry :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

If there's one place in the Midlands that can make Birmingham look good, it's Coventry :tongue:
Hi

I would definitely recommend visiting Newcastle, and whilst you are there visit Northumberland too! It is my favourite place in the country, so beautiful! (most parts :wink: ).

We have some great beaches in the North-East too, Seahouses, Whitby, Tynemouth, Warkworth.

Maybe you just feel homesick when you leave the south. It might be better for you to take daytrips/weekends away to the north so you are not away from home for too long?
Original post by tinkertailor
Wow, says a person from Coventry :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

If there's one place in the Midlands that can make Birmingham look good, it's Coventry :tongue:

With respect you can go **** yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been to Bristol, dump of a place. Same can be said for parts of Southampton, Crawley, Brighton, Whitechapel, Bermondsey, Northampton, and Eastbourne is probably the place people send their elderly parents to die. It has a feeling of a place full of old people waiting to die. Of course, some parts of the North are not at their best, but to say the south is cleaner than the north did make me chuckle in disbelief.
Not at all depressing. You've got the mill towns, great scenery, great music, the buzzing cosmopolitian hubs of Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle. Conversely in the south there are places like the post industrial Thames Estuary/South Essex, some of the poorest communities in England in Devon/Cornwall, the usual inner city violence in places like Brixton, St Pauls, East London and then just dreary mundane places like Gloucester, Slough, Portsmouth, and that ilk.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
I have been to Bristol, dump of a place. Same can be said for parts of Southampton, Crawley, Brighton, Whitechapel, Bermondsey, Northampton, and Eastbourne is probably the place people send their elderly parents to die. It has a feeling of a place full of old people waiting to die. Of course, some parts of the North are not at their best, but to say the south is cleaner than the north did make me chuckle in disbelief.

Which bit of Bristol? Theres a huge wealth disparity in the place.
Original post by otester
It's very comparable to Korea, the North is a dump and the South is where everything is at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or America, where the North are civilised and the South are backwards retarded inbreds.

All fun & games...

The fact that they're the more desirable and cleaner? Also the fact that they're a lot closer to London and the south east, the economic hub of Britain?

Whilst I haven't visited Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester are desirable places. As much as I love London, the northern cities have a lot to offer. Plus they're cheaper and the people are friendlier.
Reply 68
Original post by Super Cicero
Yeah, its the same in the United States

No really, in the United States, it's the other way round, the north is the rich part, whereas the south is more rural and littered with more poverty.
With respect you can go **** yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coventry still sucks though :wink:
Original post by DrugsnotLife
Which bit of Bristol? Theres a huge wealth disparity in the place.
The area where the Eastville stadium used to be, in North Bristol. I do not know what it is like around there now, but when I last went, it was where the gasworks where, and it smelled of Egg and Onions :s-smilie:. It was a awful place.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ajibola
No really, in the United States, it's the other way round, the north is the rich part, whereas the south is more rural and littered with more poverty.

and with backward rednecks as well :biggrin:
I forgot to mention, Luton is a toilet as well. No offence intended.
Coventry still sucks though :wink:

Yeah to be fair both cathedrals are a dump and the place has no history either. Wish I could be in Crawley instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cant read this thread without thinking of game of thrones...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah to be fair both cathedrals are a dump and the place has no history either. Wish I could be in Crawley instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to Crawley once. It is three hours of my life I will never get back....
Reply 76

From those places you've mentioned, it looks like you've just plucked out the best small towns in the North. The only one I've visited is Durham which is really nice. My sister Durham uni. But those places still don't make up the disaster zones of Liverpool, Sunderland, Newcastle etc where all the riff raff live :biggrin:

I'd like you take name a few of these disaster zones especially liverpool which I live pretty close to, I think theres a lot more "riff raff" in London for example or even somewhere like Nottingham. Places like Toxteth, which you will no doubt mention, have considerably changed since the 80's due to more investment and redevelopment making it an alright area to live in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that quip would have weight if Crawley represented the people here in the south, which it doesn't. It's a fairly mid sized irrelevant town. Whereas Coventry is the second biggest city in the Midlands after Birmingham. The Midlands sucks and the North sucks even more. Without the south (and particularly the south east/London), Britain would fall back into the stone age.

Although the like of Coventry, Birmingham and Liverpool seem to be already there :biggrin:
Lets see what happens over the next ten years, when there are hundreds of Shale Gas Rigs dotted all over Lancashire and Cheshire pumping out this valuable resource. It won't be long until London will want to get their greedy mits onto the money, to invest in London projects. Hate London, full of Yuppies and scumbag Bankers.
Original post by rattusratus
im from Durham and I find the opposite true

I hate the south (apart from devon and the very far south west area which is lovely) Ive been to london 3 times and Birmingham twice all 5 times it was horrible, in Birmingham we had been there less than an hour and there was a drive by shooting and my mam nearly got run over (her wheelchair tipped) by a bus that didnt even bother to stop, london I ended up sat in the rain crying on a roundabout because I had been stuck there for over an hour alone and this roundabout alone was bigger than the whole city im from not to mention how dark and crowded it always feels, I also got punched in the arm in london by a random passer by for no reason :confused:

personally anything past leeds makes me feel uncomfortable (apart from devon area as mentioned before)

Im sorry but this isnt believable...
You were in birmingham for an hour and witnessed a drive-by?

As a very young kid i've grown up around crime in birmingham, every now and then I get told a family friend or someone with a distant connection has been killed / serving in prison because of gun crime but nothing like a drive-by...

So im going to assume because you were there for less than a hour you were probably in the city centre and during the day?
Who in their right mind would let off a gun in the city centre?

Otherwise you would have to be in gangland territory like aston, handsworth, lozels and sparkhill to even hear anything about guns...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest