The Student Room Group

School Bag Organisation HELP?!

First of all, excuse me if this post is in the wrong area on TSR. I sometimes struggle to find the correct place to ask something haha.

Anyway...

Im starting Year 12, AS Levels in a sixth form this september 2013. Im obviously all new to the sixth form life so dont expect me to know much haha!

Since im about to start a 4 week course which goes up until the day before school starts, Ihought I'd get prepared and buy all my supplies/new bag early.

Ive bought a rucksack. A classic mi-pac rucksack. I tested out to see if everything would fit in it and it does perfectly. The issue is, I have to walk over 5 miles each day, and my bag is already super HEAVY! Now that's without all my notes etc which will probably start building up.

Ok so in my bag I have...

A4 Binder Folder. (currently empty)
2 Lab Books (must be taken each day)
2 Text Books (luckly only 2. Other subjects don't require me to bring them in)
Planner
Pencil Case
Calculator
Lunch box. (I don't buy lunch)
Water Bottle
Purse
Glasses case.
Hairbrush.

I was wondering whether theres any way I can make my bag lighter?! I'm not a strong girl, I'm actually really timid and small. So a huge heavy bag isn't great. I already have shoulder damage from carrying shoulder bags last year. (my reason to switch to rucksack)

Yes ive had my timetable already for next year and yes on most days I have to take both textbooks and both lab books together. (stupid biology and chemistry haha!) I thinks theres days out of my 2 week timetable where I only have to take 1 text book and 1 lab book.

Any advice/tips welcome!

Thanks!!!! :smile::wink::rolleyes:
I also use a rucksack, and I tend to carry around 2 of my textbooks or folders just across my chest instead of putting them in the rucksack. It can make you look kind of geeky, but to be honest everyone at my school does it, especially in sixth form, since you usually have all your subjects most days, so can't get away with not taking in some folders or textbooks so a lot of students find it easier to carry textbooks this way. It massively helps with the weight, and I find it much easier to carry them that way and I'm really not strong at all.

Once you get to sixth form you'll be able to plan your free periods and after school work better, so you can get away with not taking textbooks home some nights and leaving them in your locker depending on how much work you have/how much you get done at school.
Reply 2
Original post by roflcakes1
I also use a rucksack, and I tend to carry around 2 of my textbooks or folders just across my chest instead of putting them in the rucksack. It can make you look kind of geeky, but to be honest everyone at my school does it, especially in sixth form, since you usually have all your subjects most days, so can't get away with not taking in some folders or textbooks so a lot of students find it easier to carry textbooks this way. It massively helps with the weight, and I find it much easier to carry them that way and I'm really not strong at all.

Once you get to sixth form you'll be able to plan your free periods and after school work better, so you can get away with not taking textbooks home some nights and leaving them in your locker depending on how much work you have/how much you get done at school.

I suppose I could carry stuff around.
Reply 3
I had the same problem as you when i was at school. You can leave textbooks/lab books in your locker overnight, share textbooks with your friends or take yours in one week and then they can bring it in next week. Maybe put your work in an a4 folder/wallet thing and then transfer to a binder at home.

Quick Reply

Latest