The Student Room Group

I want a bigger butt

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desdemonata
That's assuming everybody has access to weights (when the whole point of that workout was you can do it at home...). And uh a lot of the exercises don't involve weights. How exactly are you meant to incorporate weights into hip lifts, frog jumps, lunge kicks and donkey kicks?

Hip lifts.
Dumbbell between legs.

Frog jumps.
Barbell/dumbbells/backpack.

Lunge kicks.
Dumbbell.

Donkey kicks.
Dumbbell.

You could also do exercises that target all of these;
Lunges.
Squat variations.
Glute-Ham raise.
Weighted glute bridges.
Reply 41
Original post by WoodyMKC
Too many reps (e.g. 30+ squats) will condition muscles but not necessarily make them grow. Lower reps (5-12) until failure will make the muscles grow, so you need to add more weight/resistance in order to get tired more quickly. So for squats, it'd be best to add weight by either holding dumbbells in each hand or a barbell resting on your shoulders. You could also wear a rucksack with something heavy in it. Bear in mind though that carrying extra weights in any way will require you to embrace your core muscles in order to keep stability and avoid injury.

Thanks, that was so really clear :smile:

Unfortunately, I don't have any dumbbells or any weights for me to use, but now that I understand the principle, I can use alternatives for the same effect.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by pandabird
Are you male/ female?

Female
Reply 43
Original post by Splenge007
I understand I need to build more muscle, but I don't understand how lifting with my arms can help :dontknow:

What exercise are you referring to when you say repetitions?

How can I add resistance?

Sorry, there's a few fitness terms/phrases I don't understand there :lol:

It might do at first, but after reading the link The Moho has given (below), you can understand the logic behind it. I think the challenge is to do 100 in one day, which doesn't seem too bad, I guess, with the right intervals.

Soz

I meant

Squat a higher weight and keep going
Reply 44

What exercise are you referring to when you say repetitions?

How can I add resistance?

Sorry, there's a few fitness terms/phrases I don't understand there :lol:

It's the same for any exercise designed to increase muscle mass - if you can do more than 10 repetitions (which I'm sure you can with bodyweight squats and lunges) then it's probably too easy and the best that will happen is the condition of the muscle will improve so it stops getting sore, but it will not noticeably change in size.

The most practical way to add resistance is with weights, or sometimes a weighted machine like a Smith machine (free weights like barbells and dumbbells are usually preferred though).

For squats, a barbell is held resting on the back of the neck/shoulders. For deadlifts, you lift a barbell off the floor. Technique is very important to do both these exercises safety.

For lunges, you can hold a dumbbell in each hand.

I know getting a barbell might not be practical for you, but perhaps you can get hold of a couple of dumbbells e.g from Argos. You can do a squat holding a dumbbell in each hand by your side.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSquat.html
Reply 45
Original post by 123formyabc
I want a smaller butt

I know some girls that like a big butt on a guy :biggrin:

But why? Is it really big?

How big? (:sexface:)
BUTT < there you go :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Female

Really?
Reply 48
Original post by nopenopenope
It's called DOMS.

Spoiler

"hurr he challenged a woman's exercise regime, attack him for feminism!1oneone!!!"
I'm not even sure how you managed to whiteknight my post, but well done.

I wasn't being derogatory to women, or the poster, I don't think it's a very good regime. Read my reply before you go making stuff up so girls will like you on the internet.

I didn't say sexist, I said derogatory.

"hurr durr he said something positive about women, must be white knight"

well done bro.
Hip lifts.
Dumbbell between legs.

Frog jumps.

Lunge kicks.
Dumbbell.

Donkey kicks.
Dumbbell.

Lunges.
Squat variations.
Glute-Ham raise.
Weighted glute bridges.

...You realise, in hip lifts, you lift your hips, not your legs. And that would probably be pretty dangerous, as would be jumping around with a weighted rucksack. And how exactly are you meant to attach a dumbbell to your leg?

Seriously how do you attach a weight to that?

And again, the point of the workout is that you can do it at home and without any weights, and it'll still be a good workout. Suggesting doing it with maximal weights is missing the point.
Reply 50
Original post by Kerch
It's the same for any exercise designed to increase muscle mass - if you can do more than 10 repetitions (which I'm sure you can with bodyweight squats and lunges) then it's probably too easy and the best that will happen is the condition of the muscle will improve so it stops getting sore, but it will not noticeably change in size.

Do you mean to say it's good enough, because it seems good enough if the muscle condition improves and changes in size

The most practical way to add resistance is with weights, or sometimes a weighted machine like a Smith machine (free weights like barbells and dumbbells are usually preferred though).

For squats, a barbell is held resting on the back of the neck/shoulders. For deadlifts, you lift a barbell off the floor. Technique is very important to do both these exercises safety.

For lunges, you can hold a dumbbell in each hand.

I know getting a barbell might not be practical for you, but perhaps you can get hold of a couple of dumbbells e.g from Argos. You can do a squat holding a dumbbell in each hand by your side.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSquat.html

Thanks for that link, I think it's really helpful how there's a description as well as a Gif. Saves me from searching up the correct way to do those exercises :lol:

Sounds like the best option is to purchase some equipment.

Original post by pandabird
Really?

Um, yes. Why, don't you believe me? :lol:
Reply 51
Original post by danny111
The workout looks good to me. I think the user was actually being derogatory implying women don't have the self control to do the full 20 (or 30) times the exercise and 3 times the whole thing.

I cannot describe in words how retarded this last sentence is.

So why do you think bodybuilders don't do the same exercise 3x20-30 and still end up looking like they do? Because they don't have the self control or what?
Original post by danny111
-

You're a whiteknight because you're protecting virtual vaginas from nothing.

My post was not derogatory to women, but to the regime and to any similar regimes. By saying I'm derogatory to women would imply that you believe I'm sexist.

well done bro xoxo

-

Oh woops, well you could put it between your thighs instead?
Replace frog jumps with weighted jump squats, as long as you do it properly you'll be fine.
Tie a string to your leg, tie a dumbbell to the string. Idky you'd do that exercise anyway tbh.

Doing 100 squats or 30 squats consecutively in one set and doing only one set is pretty pointless. If you don't have access to any weights then I guess you could do something like that, but it's still pointless to do the repetitions that the regime suggests.
Reply 53
Hip lifts.
Dumbbell between legs.

Frog jumps.

Lunge kicks.
Dumbbell.

Donkey kicks.
Dumbbell.

Lunges.
Squat variations.
Glute-Ham raise.
Weighted glute bridges.

It seems a bit much to use weights for every exercise, not to mention ridiculous.
Reply 54
Original post by Elcano
I cannot describe in words how retarded this last sentence is.

So why do you think bodybuilders don't do the same exercise 3x20-30 and still end up looking like they do? Because they don't have the self control or what?

You have absolutely no idea what my post is about, do you?

Replace frog jumps with weighted jump squats, as long as you do it properly you'll be fine.
Tie a string to your leg, tie a dumbbell to the string. Idky you'd do that exercise anyway tbh.

Doing 100 squats or 30 squats consecutively in one set and doing only one set is pretty pointless. If you don't have access to any weights then I guess you could do something like that, but it's still pointless to do the repetitions that the regime suggests.

And get smacked in the leg with the weight? :eyeball:

Actually it's 3 sets, not one.
Reply 56

My post was not derogatory to women, but to the regime and to any similar regimes. By saying I'm derogatory to women would imply that you believe I'm sexist.

well done bro xoxo

Let's be honest, you sound like the typical sexist dickhead. So, not like I would be wrong if what you say were true.

Keep it up big man.
Reply 57

well done bro xoxo
Derogatory terms aren't necessarily sexist.

I'm thinking about trying it out and using dumbbells as another poster has suggested.

Do you honestly think it is pointless?
Reply 58
It seems a bit much to use weights for every exercise, not to mention ridiculous.

Depends on your aim. If you want a bigger butt, there's no point wasting your time with these exercises that you can't add resistance to. They're more like aerobics/cardio exercises than for muscle gain.
Reply 59
And get smacked in the leg with the weight? :eyeball:

:rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest