The Student Room Group

What do you need to know for D1?!

Hey guys,

Do I need to know BASIC programming language (such as, if,next,for etc. statments) and how to draw complicated flow charts for D1? I am doing OCR MEI, but I am just asking in general as many d1 from other exam board are very similar.I have read a question asking to use BASIC language in an old MEI Structed book (2004) which the school gave me :/

Thanks
Reply 1
You do need to know this - algorithms are a key part of D1. Flow charts appear less commonly in exam papers though. I don't remember coming across any in either my past papers or exams (on AQA). I'd take a look through past papers if I were you to see how much detail you need to put in. It wasn't my strongest subject so I'm sorry that I can't be more help. :smile:
Original post by Pandora.
You do need to know this - algorithms are a key part of D1. Flow charts appear less commonly in exam papers though. I don't remember coming across any in either my past papers or exams (on AQA). I'd take a look through past papers if I were you to see how much detail you need to put in. It wasn't my strongest subject so I'm sorry that I can't be more help. :smile:

Thanks; Flow charts do come up in past paper but only asking to work out values. However, BASIC language is not used just pseudo langauge. Pseudo is much easier than BASIC.
I did MEI D1, we just had to know pseudo code.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coco_madem0iselle
I did MEI D1, we just had to know pseudo code.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Basically I was looking at this example in the MEI Strucutred book :

FOR I = 1 TO 3
PRINT I
NEXT I
will be displayed out as

FOR I = 1 TO 2
FOR J= 1 TO 2
PRINT I,J
NEXT J
NEXT I
will displayed out as
1 1
1 2
2 1
2 2

Isn't the second example 1,1 and 2,2 as the I and J variable get set at the same time? Why is it 1,2 and 2,1 aswell ?!
You need to know how to breathe, and not really much more..

Quick Reply

Latest