The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hei,
Do you think adding models to the portfolio is compulsory or does affect in any way the rate of success?
Original post by amy.notmyname
Hei,
Do you think adding models to the portfolio is compulsory or does affect in any way the rate of success?

I'm in my second year of architecture at Sheffield. Anyway no it isn't, depending on what you mean by models. For my art a-level I did actually have quite a lot of 3D work, so painting on 3D boards etc, not technically models but it does show that you have an idea about 3D space which is helpful and have a more complex sense of composition which relates to architecture.
Tutors can actually try to avoid things which are obviously aimed at them, so things where you try to make it look like you can do things they will teach you. As they will be used to looking at things like this from their students, who have been taught how to do it properly, so will immediately be compared to yours, which probably wouldn't work in your favour.
Original post by Claire888
I'm in my second year of architecture at Sheffield. Anyway no it isn't, depending on what you mean by models. For my art a-level I did actually have quite a lot of 3D work, so painting on 3D boards etc, not technically models but it does show that you have an idea about 3D space which is helpful and have a more complex sense of composition which relates to architecture.
Tutors can actually try to avoid things which are obviously aimed at them, so things where you try to make it look like you can do things they will teach you. As they will be used to looking at things like this from their students, who have been taught how to do it properly, so will immediately be compared to yours, which probably wouldn't work in your favour.

Well, i.m an international and i haven.t really had the chance to create any mock.ups before and i was wondering wether i can skip that part and only have 2d works. what did you mean by 3d boards?
Original post by amy.notmyname
Well, i.m an international and i haven.t really had the chance to create any mock.ups before and i was wondering wether i can skip that part and only have 2d works. what did you mean by 3d boards?

I'm not saying you have to by any means, but I do think doing something a little different is bound to make you stand out. It also means you can photograph in an interesting way and show off another skill in the process. ok well my work was using flat boards but stuck together into a 3D form. So for example I made a stereotypical 'house' shape and painted realistically onto that, hard to explain sorry.
Hi guys,

Basically I was thinking of doing Arch and then move into something like Product design -
but then, I've got friends studying arch at the moment and
I'm skeptical about whether I'll enjoy the assignments and building projects and construction and all,
since I prefer more aesthetics than build, if that makes sense.

do you think I should still apply for architecture? or go for a more focused course directly like Industrial design itself ?

do you think it will limit my opportunities afterwards ?

Thankyou for your help
Reply 45
Is anyone going to be looking at Architecture at the Edinburgh open day on Monday? I'm going on my own :sad:
Reply 46
I'm going! Me and my dad are flying up on Sunday
Original post by gherkinsnolives
Hi guys,

Basically I was thinking of doing Arch and then move into something like Product design -
but then, I've got friends studying arch at the moment and
I'm skeptical about whether I'll enjoy the assignments and building projects and construction and all,
since I prefer more aesthetics than build, if that makes sense.

do you think I should still apply for architecture? or go for a more focused course directly like Industrial design itself ?

do you think it will limit my opportunities afterwards ?

Thankyou for your help

From my own experience of an architecture degree, I would suggest that unless you are really motivated to do architecture, you will struggle. It's a lot of work, like the volume of stuff you're expected to churn out, if you're not feeling it, it can be really tough. But to its credit, you generally get a brief and where you take it from there is up to you. But you will be writing essays and reading books on architecture, designing buildings (to some extent anyway) and probably doing lectures in some kind of construction/technology module.

And, I think rather than aesthetics or building technologies, the most important aspect of architecture, in terms of a building, is its spatial planning and its relations to its surrounding space, which is partially addressed by its aesthetics, street facades etc... but also just levels, where windows go, where the entrance sits in relation to pedestrian traffic, which parts are public or private etc...

I have heard that architecture is quite a good transferable degree if you're just interested in some kind of applied-design career, but yeah... if you're not really interested in the actual course content, you might have to look elsewhere for a degree.
Hey guys, this I'd for a friend of mine:
He got AACU in his AS levels in History of art, fine art, physics and maths.
Will the U in maths seriously damage his application? Will it make any difference if he can push his AS maths to an E? He got a U in C2 and M1 (in C2 because he was late to the exam, so wasn't marked), but got a D in C1. He's off-the-scale dyslexic and maths is his worst nightmare, but only took it as his dream is architecture.

Say if he manages to get AACu - A*A*Be what universities do you think he should look at? He has got loads of work experience in architecture firms and is extremely talented in the arts rather than the sciences, and so would also have a pretty good personal statement (after lots of proof reading!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by natashaaarr
Will the U in maths seriously damage his application? Will it make any difference if he can push his AS maths to an E? He got a U in C2 and M1 (in C2 because he was late to the exam, so wasn't marked), but got a D in C1. He's off-the-scale dyslexic and maths is his worst nightmare, but only took it as his dream is architecture.

Say if he manages to get AACu - A*A*Be what universities do you think he should look at? He has got loads of work experience in architecture firms and is extremely talented in the arts rather than the sciences, and so would also have a pretty good personal statement (after lots of proof reading!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most unis don't require any specific combination of subjects, and take applicants with backgrounds in the arts and the sciences. I *think* that there are only 3 places that require Maths, and they're all individual Cambridge colleges. So anywhere else is fine.

You would have to email individual admissions tutors to ask whether they would accept his grades. Most look at a portfolio for Architecture, so if his is brilliant, then he stands a decent chance.

Has he considered dropping both Maths and Physics, and then doing a subject that would suit him more - History or English Literature A2 - in a year?
Original post by asacrepaye
My portfolio compared to this is nothing! :frown::eek: I better get started!

I know what you mean! But he's currently at the AA so.. :/
Original post by CoffeeAndCake
Most unis don't require any specific combination of subjects, and take applicants with backgrounds in the arts and the sciences. I *think* that there are only 3 places that require Maths, and they're all individual Cambridge colleges. So anywhere else is fine.

You would have to email individual admissions tutors to ask whether they would accept his grades. Most look at a portfolio for Architecture, so if his is brilliant, then he stands a decent chance.

Has he considered dropping both Maths and Physics, and then doing a subject that would suit him more - History or English Literature A2 - in a year?

The only reason he did so well in HoA is because of his love for the subjects of which the essays are based, the genuine interest meant that his hours of proof reading (...terrible spelling) were worth it. I don't think taking up another essay subject would be realistic, but it is very reassuring that maths isn't 'required' although he is just worried about the damage to his application. But thank you for the response!
hey, I was just wondering whether anyone could answer a few of my questions/queries -

So I'm thinking of applying for Architecture [obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here] and I'm just a bit stuck on Uni choices. I've been to Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores, Leeds Met, Huddersfield, Manchester, UCLAN and the AA. And, basically I LOVED Leeds Met and Huddersfield, whereas the others - Liverpool - I live here and I really want to move away, Uclan - the campus is appalling! AA - lovely, but expensive and living costs in London are just crazy, and Manchester - although I loved it on paper, the campus and year sizes are mindblowing - I can't cope with 179 other architecture students as well as design crammed into several large rooms for a few years so that's off the list :/

Anyway, I was originally thinking of applying to Leeds Met and Huddersfield, and a couple of others which I'm still umming over, but because Uni of Leeds doesn't do architecture, I have had feedback from uni friends, employers and some architects say that it's definitely best to go to one that's sort of, well known? As in, I'm Chinese - so I'll probably end up working in an architect's firm in China/Hong Kong one day - and no one over there will have heard of Huddersfield, for example - I mean, I didn't know that it existed before looking at League tables and stuff.

Now, one thing to mention about league tables is that although I'm not looking at numbers - top 10, 20 etc. [and I probably shouldn't - which you'll know in a bit] - I would like to go to a good uni..

On the 15th I realised that I hadn't done as well as I expected, so put it this way - with the subjects I'm doing now for A2 - Fine Art, Product Design and Physics - alongside an A grade at AS, the highest possible predicted/target grades my school and tutors will put on my application form is AAC, which isn't desirable for most unis - and this also ties in with something I'm confused/worried about.
Sadly I missed out on an A at AS art, got a B in AS prod. design, and a D in physics - messed up Unit 2 and the EMPA so badly.
Anyway, so this kinda messes things up as thinking about it now, I think I was originally thinking of applying to Huddersfield [~AAB - they do it in points]; Leeds Met [BBB], Kent [AAB], Edinburgh [BBB] and probably Robert Gordon [BBB] or something...

But the confusion I have now is that on the edinburgh website it says for the entry requirements it's BBB, and you MUST be expected to achieve at least that... does that mean even though I have a chance of upping the requirements on 2 subjects, but probably 1 grade down on physics - would they filter out my application and reject me straight on? I'm fully aware that being 1 above the entry requirements isn't *that* good, but maybe it balances out in a way... ?Also, I don't think I'll be able to go to the open day on the 28th, so I really would like some info from some of you guys - in terms of, based on what I think about Huddersfield and Leeds Met.

* oh wait, I didn't really say anything about them. But basically I'd like a small-ish Uni/year size, so around 60-80 people, and just, I don't know.. not too big like Manchester?

As for Kent, I'm liking the look of the Uni on paper, and from the impression of the prospectus, it seems like a sort of. classic... maybe, traditional style Uni? If you get what I mean that is. - I go to a Grammar School, so I can only really think of comparing Kent to it - again, I'm not sure whether I'm talking nonsense here.

But, I have doubts about Kent as not many have heard of architecture at Kent, and a few architects who are friends of my parents say that Kent is a bit iffy, so a bit like the alternatives to "main" city Unis - Sheffield Hallam, LIverpool John Moores.. Leeds Met etc.

I guess in terms of admissions I really need to email each individual admissions tutor, but I'd love to see what you guys think - thank you!
Original post by natashaaarr

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bath asked for an A in Maths when I applied, but it wasn't part of their pre-application grade requirements. In other words, they only requested it from students who'd actually taken the A-level, and didn't request the A-level itself. If he drops his maths at AS and takes the other 3 subjects onto A2 he shouldn't be disadvantaged, as some other applicants simply won't have taken Maths whatsoever.
Reply 54
If we apply to the AA, does that count as one of our 5 options or can we apply to an additional 5 universities because it's private?
Original post by Archengsculp

Now, one thing to mention about league tables is that although I'm not looking at numbers - top 10, 20 etc. [and I probably shouldn't - which you'll know in a bit] - I would like to go to a good uni..

On the 15th I realised that I hadn't done as well as I expected, so put it this way - with the subjects I'm doing now for A2 - Fine Art, Product Design and Physics - alongside an A grade at AS, the highest possible predicted/target grades my school and tutors will put on my application form is AAC, which isn't desirable for most unis - and this also ties in with something I'm confused/worried about.
Sadly I missed out on an A at AS art, got a B in AS prod. design, and a D in physics - messed up Unit 2 and the EMPA so badly.
Anyway, so this kinda messes things up as thinking about it now, I think I was originally thinking of applying to Huddersfield [~AAB - they do it in points]; Leeds Met [BBB], Kent [AAB], Edinburgh [BBB] and probably Robert Gordon [BBB] or something...

But the confusion I have now is that on the edinburgh website it says for the entry requirements it's BBB, and you MUST be expected to achieve at least that... does that mean even though I have a chance of upping the requirements on 2 subjects, but probably 1 grade down on physics - would they filter out my application and reject me straight on? I'm fully aware that being 1 above the entry requirements isn't *that* good, but maybe it balances out in a way... ?Also, I don't think I'll be able to go to the open day on the 28th, so I really would like some info from some of you guys - in terms of, based on what I think about Huddersfield and Leeds Met.

i applied to edinburgh with predictions of A*A*AA and got an offer for AAA... my friend applied with predictions of ABB and got rejected. guess it's still worth contacting the department, though i wasn't such a big fan of it :smile:
also, another one for you to consider is the mac (glasgow school of art) - as i was given an offer of ABB (i think their typical offer is AAB subject to portfolio interview etc) and they're a pretty well known school out there in the big wide world :smile: good luck!
If we apply to the AA, does that count as one of our 5 options or can we apply to an additional 5 universities because it's private?

I would imagine that it depends on whether you apply to them via UCAS or not, I'm sure that the AA faculty or the UCAS support line would be able to clarify it
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Archengsculp

Original post by clareyyyyyyy
i applied to edinburgh with predictions of A*A*AA and got an offer for AAA... my friend applied with predictions of ABB and got rejected. guess it's still worth contacting the department, though i wasn't such a big fan of it :smile:
also, another one for you to consider is the mac (glasgow school of art) - as i was given an offer of ABB (i think their typical offer is AAB subject to portfolio interview etc) and they're a pretty well known school out there in the big wide world :smile: good luck!

Edinburgh want AAA, not BBB for their Architecture course.

The entry requirements are AAA for K100, which is RIBA/ARB accredited. BBB are the requirements for KL17 Architecture in Creative and Cultural Environments, which does not qualify you to work as an architect.

I was confused by this too and asked about it at the open day last Monday. If you apply for the K100 course with less than AAA, your're very likely to get an instant rejection. Unless there are extenuating circumstances or something.
Reply 58

No it won't count as the AA is outside of UCAS. If you want to apply you have to do so through their website,
Original post by CoffeeAndCake
Edinburgh want AAA, not BBB for their Architecture course.

The entry requirements are AAA for K100, which is RIBA/ARB accredited. BBB are the requirements for KL17 Architecture in Creative and Cultural Environments, which does not qualify you to work as an architect.

I was confused by this too and asked about it at the open day last Monday. If you apply for the K100 course with less than AAA, your're very likely to get an instant rejection. Unless there are extenuating circumstances or something.

omg really? well I think that's completely off the list for me.. I have another question - hope you dont mind :P

although my AS grades BBD aren't great - some admissions thingies at unis filter out applications in terms of that your predicted must be at least their minimum requirements, so as my school will only give me the highest predicted at AAC, will all the admissions deny me straight off, or will they still pass it onto the department for sort of looking at each applicant separately? Because surely because Architecture isn't really all about grades - would they at least consider looking at my portfolio first? I'm aware that several Unis do filter out / "preshortlist" before passing it onto departments...

I'm asking this because I'm definitely going to resit the exams for product design, hoping to bump up my AS to an A, and if luckily, I might end up with an A*, even though it might be a very slim chance. -- I only really achieved BB in art and prod. design because I was struggling with AS maths last year and so that affected my art and design greatly...
As for physics, I hope I end up with at least a B in august. - I'm definitely resitting Unit 2..
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending