The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mona8
Hi, i am just wondering if you know what is the most important to Edinbiugh uni Architecture course and what makes them offer you a place or not. It's certainly not portfolio and high grades only for I had them and I still got rejected?

At Edinburgh, it seems there is a certain amount of places usually given to Scottish people. So there are lots of people applying from all over the world for very few spaces. I think you were just unlucky in this process.

Anyway, don't be too disappointed. Edinburgh is a good school, but I haven't been too impressed by the standard of education. I imagine it's probably better going to a smaller school, where the teaching is more individual orientated.
Reply 1361
Firmed Uni of Manchester:awesome::redface:
Anyone else?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mistry_4
Firmed Uni of Manchester:awesome::redface:
Anyone else?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! :biggrin: Finally, I thought I was the only one here! Have you been to the Fly On The Wall open day thing, yet?
Firmed NOTTINGHAM last night and applied for accommodation. How long do you have to wait to find out which halls you're in?
Reply 1364
Original post by Outcastnut13
Me too! :biggrin: Finally, I thought I was the only one here! Have you been to the Fly On The Wall open day thing, yet?

Hey, i've only been to a course open day which was in february. Not sure what the fly on the wall open day is:dontknow:. Have u applied for accomadation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PhilippaM98
I am. But I'm choosing between Newcastle and Cardiff. You?

I'm choosing between Manchester and Newcastle. I'm from Manchester and I want to move away from home so I think that Newcastle is going to be my first choice.
Reply 1366
Original post by J43
I've firmed Nottingham! Brookes is my insurance. And accepted a place at Cripps hall, so happy!!!!! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I firmly accepted Nottingham and the accommodation offer for Willougby Halls :biggrin: Insurance is Portsmouth :colone: OMG, actually can't wait
Reply 1367
Hi, just wanted to ask what made u firm nottingham. I like there course and campus but not sure if I should firm it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put it down as my firm because the course is really good for me - the design slightly outweighs the mechanics side of the course. The campus itself is fantastic and looks like an idyllic place to study. The Architecture tutors are really nice. The students were really friendly. And the sport facilities are fantastic! Thus, it is definitely worth firming.
Reply 1368
Original post by djnn24
Yeaaah. I've been put in Hugh stu. Originally they put me in Florence boot but I asked to change cause it was the complete opposite side of campus to architecture! What are you in?

Ahh i didn't know you could change. I got put in Willoughby which is also on the other side of campus to Architecture- i already confirmed it. Do you think its too late to change it?
Hey, i've only been to a course open day which was in february. Not sure what the fly on the wall open day is:dontknow:. Have u applied for accomadation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they sent me an email with a list of dates with this Fly On The Wall thing, once I had gotten an offer from them, it's basically a day where you can drop in during the studio time that the students have and just get a look around the MSA whilst it is in use.

I haven't applied for accommodation yet, although I think I'm going to apply for Whitworth Park. I'm going up to Manchester on the 28th to have a look at the accommodation, and then I'll apply for accommodation once I have a second choice.

What about you?
Reply 1370
Original post by Outcastnut13
Well they sent me an email with a list of dates with this Fly On The Wall thing, once I had gotten an offer from them, it's basically a day where you can drop in during the studio time that the students have and just get a look around the MSA whilst it is in use.

I haven't applied for accommodation yet, although I think I'm going to apply for Whitworth Park. I'm going up to Manchester on the 28th to have a look at the accommodation, and then I'll apply for accommodation once I have a second choice.

What about you?

Oh yeah sorry, I did attend one of those days for offer holders. I was really impressed by the facilities and how all the creative subjects were in one massive building.
In terms of accomadation, I haven't applied yet but im thinking of any self-catered in the fallowfield area.
To be honest, im not sure when you do have to apply for accomadation, for example shouldn't you apply for accomodation once you know your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1371
for the people firming Newcastle, which accommodation are you choosing?
Just rejected bath and put sheffield as insurance :confused:
Oh yeah sorry, I did attend one of those days for offer holders. I was really impressed by the facilities and how all the creative subjects were in one massive building.
In terms of accomadation, I haven't applied yet but im thinking of any self-catered in the fallowfield area.
To be honest, im not sure when you do have to apply for accomadation, for example shouldn't you apply for accomodation once you know your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't wait to have a look around, though. It sounds really promising, from the things I've heard.

No, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to apply once you've set it as your firm. I've just had a look on the Manchester Uni website and I saw this...

If you are not yet a registered University of Manchester student you must submit an application by 31st August of each year for arrival from September of that year. If you hold a conditional offer DO NOT wait until it is made unconditional.

So I'm going to apply as soon as I have a look around, really.
Reply 1374
Original post by 7mathes
Ahh i didn't know you could change. I got put in Willoughby which is also on the other side of campus to Architecture- i already confirmed it. Do you think its too late to change it?

I'm not sure. You could email or ring them and see. I just said that because architecture is quite a full on course, it would be really inconvenient if I had to go between Florence boot and the arch department every day.
Original post by tom3093
On the whole, most drop out because they want to go out more nights a week and totally underestimate the amount of work required. It's usually architecture that's not right for them, not just arch at NCL.

****k off - your a ****cunt who doesnt know anything
Original post by Masamato
I'm choosing between Manchester and Newcastle. I'm from Manchester and I want to move away from home so I think that Newcastle is going to be my first choice.

dear oh dear
Original post by MarkRodgers
i know its bad from the stories ive been told - look at the number of people who quit

Original post by tom3093
On the whole, most drop out because they want to go out more nights a week and totally underestimate the amount of work required. It's usually architecture that's not right for them, not just arch at NCL.

Original post by MarkRodgers
****k off - your a ******** who doesnt know anything

As a current student, most people who drop out do so because architecture isn't right for them. Since the start of first year, we've had 12 'pure architecture' (not any dual courses) students drop out - and only two of them went to other architecture schools - the rest are doing all sorts, from medicine to languages to computer science.
so don't anyone be put off by the statistics from anywhere! go where you think you'llbe happy (:
Original post by PhilippaM98
Hey. Are there any students from Cardiff who can answer my questions? How much studio space do you get? What is the balance between design and technical topics? What kind of structure is there - are you left to create things entirely by yourself or are you given guidelines to follow? Do you get help with the cost of materials during the course - printing crest etc? Does the department have it's own printing room? What sort of facilities are available for model making?
I know lots of questions but I can't make it to visit the uni! Thanks.

First year, you get a desk each in studio (the desks are big enough to have an a1 drawing board on with plenty of space left over), you also get loads of storage room, a small unit each which contains drawers, and also large unit to put drawings and work in. The balance between design and technology in first year is more towards design, I'd say 80/20% but as you progress throughout the course it becomes more even. In terms of structure to designs... To start with you get set objectives to complete at the start of the week, but you can still interpret these objectives as you wish, as you progress through the year, the design process is much more free and independent. For each project you get a design brief (obviously) but you can pretty much design whatever you like, there's no creativity limits. In terms of materials and printing funding- you don't really get any, although I doubt you would in many places, however at the start of the year you do get given £300 worth of equipment for free such as a drawing board, pens, rulers, pencils, etc.. which are specific to architecture. We have a plotting room which has 2 standard plotters and one large one although they're getting another two plotters as well, there's a workshop with all sorts of saws, drills, planes, sanders etc... Which is all you need for model making, and if there's a tool you need that they don't have, they're usually happy to order one in or hire one for you, we also have access to 3D printing which is over in engineering (at a price) I did a large 3D printed model for my last project which cost me £50 but if you know anything about 3D printing that's actually really cheap! We do have a small scale 3D printer in architecture but it's only for small rough conceptual models. Hope this helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshuaPeasley
First year, you get a desk each in studio (the desks are big enough to have an a1 drawing board on with plenty of space left over), you also get loads of storage room, a small unit each which contains drawers, and also large unit to put drawings and work in. The balance between design and technology in first year is more towards design, I'd say 80/20% but as you progress throughout the course it becomes more even. In terms of structure to designs... To start with you get set objectives to complete at the start of the week, but you can still interpret these objectives as you wish, as you progress through the year, the design process is much more free and independent. For each project you get a design brief (obviously) but you can pretty much design whatever you like, there's no creativity limits. In terms of materials and printing funding- you don't really get any, although I doubt you would in many places, however at the start of the year you do get given £300 worth of equipment for free such as a drawing board, pens, rulers, pencils, etc.. which are specific to architecture. We have a plotting room which has 2 standard plotters and one large one although they're getting another two plotters as well, there's a workshop with all sorts of saws, drills, planes, sanders etc... Which is all you need for model making, and if there's a tool you need that they don't have, they're usually happy to order one in or hire one for you, we also have access to 3D printing which is over in engineering (at a price) I did a large 3D printed model for my last project which cost me £50 but if you know anything about 3D printing that's actually really cheap! We do have a small scale 3D printer in architecture but it's only for small rough conceptual models. Hope this helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for all the information. This has really helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending