The Student Room Group

Do you consider regular gym-goers/'fit' people fit the negative stereotype surroundin

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Elcano
There's also no purpose for reading if you're a plumber...

... that's what you're trying to express?

Oh... That might be over thinking...

My physique, however it is, doesn't negatively impact in any aspect of my day to day activities. Essentially, rendering me goin to the gym a waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by silent ninja
Cardiovascular work has got nothing to do with the muscle pump you refer to (the ones bodybuilders chase). Nor do you have to enter a gym to work on cardio.

I've concluded you're a bit of an idiot and your responses don't make sense. I won't be replying to you. It's a waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

> ad hominem

Setting aside the rich irony. You are just butt hurt that you can't spot what you blathered.... Or just butt hurt you can't admit you didn't spot what you blathered.

Whatever the case; next time, make sure you read your own post more carefully. :wink:

Original post by roh
I almost guarantee I did more fitness training than you whilst school age, none of it would be of benefit to me now if I hadn't kept exercise up. Even elite athletes can quickly lose their fitness levels if they stop doing any exercise after retirement.

My case could be a rare exception =D

Id say the only attribute that I truly lost, is my stamina. Speed, flexibility and jazz are somewhat all still there.

Original post by tooosh
Studies have suggested (but not concluded) that significant disuse atrophy can start as early as the 3rd day of not using a muscle.

So no, what you did years ago means almost nothing now. There's a reason people who actually get anywhere call it a lifestyle.

I wasn't some body builder dude back then. But whatever...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by RedArrow
Oh... That might be over thinking...

My physique, however it is, doesn't negatively impact in any aspect of my day to day activities. Essentially, rendering me goin to the gym a waste of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what? It's a hobby, just like riding a bike or reading a lot of books can be a hobby.

It's not as if we had a higher purpose in life to which going to the gym doesn't contribute - we can choose for ourselves how we want to spend our time, and by doing it it makes sense to us. If it doesn't we can change our habits.

So to repeat - not reading books also doesn't negatively impact on some people's day to day activities - is that a reason for branding it especially useless?
Reply 62

I wasn't some body builder dude back then. But whatever...

That's even worse then. The more muscle you have when you start off, the more you have to lose and the quicker you lose it but the end result would still be better.

You are just butt hurt that you can't spot what you blathered.... Or just butt hurt you can't admit you didn't spot what you blathered.

> ad hominem
> straw man
> wrong

Obviously your workload is going really well for you intellectually.
Reply 63
Original post by Elcano
So what? It's a hobby, just like riding a bike or reading a lot of books can be a hobby.

It's not as if we had a higher purpose in life to which going to the gym doesn't contribute - we can choose for ourselves how we want to spend our time, and by doing it it makes sense to us. If it doesn't we can change our habits.

So to repeat - not reading books also doesn't negatively impact on some people's day to day activities - is that a reason for branding it especially useless?

If going to the gym is a mere hobby to you, I'd proudly say "you are wasting your time, buddy"

Your last statement is wrong on so many levels... Knowledge gained from a book is always valuable...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by tooosh
That's even worse then. The more muscle you have when you start off, the more you have to lose and the quicker you lose it but the end result would still be better.

Maybe worse for you. I feel just just fine

Original post by tooosh

> ad hominem
> straw man
> wrong

Obviously your workload is going really well for you intellectually.

Straw man?

See it however you want. Tbh, today was a good day, professionally.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
If going to the gym is a mere hobby to you, I'd proudly say "you are wasting your time, buddy"

O rly?

Care to elaborate?

Your last statement is wrong on so many levels... Knowledge gained from a book is always valuable...

Uh... yeah. 'Cause the average person reading the average book is going to get so much out of it. Have you looked at the best-seller list lately? Do you really think all these books are dishing out valuable knowledge and wisdom?

Even if they were, I doubt the majority of people reading it would actually reflect on that...

And what about riding a bike for fun? Waste of time? Yeah, of course. In case you still didn't get my point: everything is a waste of time if we don't get anything of value from it.
Reply 65

My case could be a rare exception =D

Id say the only attribute that I truly lost, is my stamina. Speed, flexibility and jazz are somewhat all still there.

Yes, you and not someone whose entire career has been built upon their freakish athletic ability, are the exception to this rule, presumably by a span 2 or 3 times that of the 3 to 1 rule.

That tells me either you never trained them above your natural genetic level or never tested them in any meaningful, quantifiable manner.

Your musical ability I can't comment upon, though I suppose once you know your scales and arpeggios jazz is something that could be like riding a bike.
Reply 66
Original post by Elcano
O rly?

Care to elaborate?

Uh... yeah. 'Cause the average person reading the average book is going to get so much out of it. Have you looked at the best-seller list lately? Do you really think all these books are dishing out valuable knowledge and wisdom?

Even if they were, I doubt the majority of people reading it would actually reflect on that...

And what about riding a bike for fun? Waste of time? Yeah, of course. In case you still didn't get my point: everything is a waste of time if we don't get anything of value from it.

#1: you can get my response on the first page of this thread

#2: believe it or not, during one of the meetings, we had Harry potter among others as a topic.

#3: Riding for fun?! Well if I'm doing it tomorrow, I'll be wasting my time.

My hobbies, likes, work.... Everything is closely connected to my professional (and personal) aspirations. Those that are not connected are obviously fading away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
My hobbies, likes, work.... Everything is closely connected to my professional (and personal) aspirations. Those that are not connected are obviously fading away.

So essentially you're making my point for me. You say you 'waste your time' with things that you think you don't get any value out of.

Now, as you may know, some people - not you, obviously, but some people - see enjoyment as a value in itself. So there you are.
Reply 68
'Tis a sad day when people actively trying to keep themselves fit and healthy have negative stereotypes attached to them yet god forbid someone call a fatty lazy or lacking in self discipline.
Reply 69
#1: you can get my response on the first page of this thread

#2: believe it or not, during one of the meetings, we had Harry potter among others as a topic.

#3: Riding for fun?! Well if I'm doing it tomorrow, I'll be wasting my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is this job that takes such a colossal amount of your time? I know guys working in high pressure environments (Big 4, BB, Magic Circle etc.) who still find time to go to the gym or have other hobbies unrelated to trading/law/consultancy/tax/whatever, you subbing for Lloyd Blankfein or something?
Reply 70
Original post by roh
Yes, you and not someone whose entire career has been built upon their freakish athletic ability, are the exception to this rule, presumably by a span 2 or 3 times that of the 3 to 1 rule.

That tells me either you never trained them above your natural genetic level or never tested them in any meaningful, quantifiable manner.

Your musical ability I can't comment upon, though I suppose once you know your scales and arpeggios jazz is something that could be like riding a bike.

By bad on the jazz bit. I didn't literally mean jazz. Just forget about it... "jazz" was meant to be synonymous to etc.

After leaving school, I never got into sports/athletics. But, on a rare weekend I do play game or two at the park. And I can notice the changes on a superficial level..

True, to the last bit of your post

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Elcano
So essentially you're making my point for me. You say you 'waste your time' with things that you think you don't get any value out of.

Now, as you may know, some people - not you, obviously, but some people - see enjoyment as a value in itself. So there you are.

The way you think is fine.

I just don't agree, in good tastes, with people when they say they-like-working-out-in-the-gym.

Original post by roh
What is this job that takes such a colossal amount of your time? I know guys working in high pressure environments (Big 4, BB, Magic Circle etc.) who still find time to go to the gym or have other hobbies unrelated to trading/law/consultancy/tax/whatever, you subbing for Lloyd Blankfein or something?

I work for an investment company as an analyst. Apart from thAt a few months ago, I along with a good friend set up a consultancy firm in the hope exploiting some viable opportunities. Things are goin well tbh.

And for knowledge purposes, I'm also pursuing acca certification. Since its Ramadan here, the "corporate" scenario is somewhat relaxed. Hence you finding me here more often?

And I'm also trying to engineer a move to the big 4 for better exposure... Got any advice? =p

Original post by Ultimate1
'Tis a sad day when people actively trying to keep themselves fit and healthy have negative stereotypes attached to them yet god forbid someone call a fatty lazy or lacking in self discipline.

Felt bad reading that.. Sort of.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
I just don't agree, in good tastes, with people when they say they-like-working-out-in-the-gym.

Well but some do. Me for example. I like it. I like the results.

What now?
Reply 72
Original post by Elcano
Well but some do. Me for example. I like it. I like the results.

What now?

Well... Depending on your goals I'll either remark you are wasting your time or wish you good luck.

So long

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Riku
We have an obesity epidemic in the UK and USA. Therefore promoting a more active and healthier lifestyle is imperative for the vast majority of people.
Apart from this, biologically we're more inclined to be attracted to more 'in-shape' mates. It indicates health, longevity, the ability to take care of oneself and others in the wild. We may not live in the 'wild' anymore here, but we can't overcome this entirely, it's a natural instinct.

At the same time, looks aren't everything, and our minds should have developed far enough by now to be attracted to non-physical qualities.
There's a myth surrounding fitness culture that somebody in excellent shape must (if they're not a professional) be vain, arrogant, conceited-or be very insecure in their personality and have few other responsibilities to tend to. Does being ripped mean that you've become narcissistic, or there's something wrong with you?

I'm interested to see what people think, and where you draw the line. (This is probably going to be a biased thread because I'm posting in the Fitness forum, bear that in mind).
Surely it all lies in the balance? Or does it lie in the goal (athletic prowess being less vain than aesthetics for example)?
Obsession is never good, it can have terrible consequences for some people-but few people will go this length. Its opposite, apathy, is possibly worse when it comes to your own well-being, isn't it? Maybe not.

I commend anybody who sets goals and pushes hard to achieve them, be that an aesthetically pleasing body or to improve for various sports. A goals is a goal and who are we to question why somebody's want a particular goal.

Although some gym go'ers do fit the ******* stereotype, I think that they'd be *******s even if they never set foot in the gym. The reason people find lots of *******s in the gym is due to it being a place they congregate not a reason they become *******s.
Reply 74
Gyms are full of dicks.
Reply 75
Original post by McHumpy92
Gyms are full of dicks.

Apparently, so's the rest of the world.
Its true though!
Original post by Rob4rugby
There's two types of people who go to the gym.

1. People who want to get fit. Just normal people, or sportsmen/ women or whatever they just want to stay in shape.

2. Dickheads who love looking in the mirror. Wear 'tank tops' or what I can only describe is a thread of material covering nipples and nothing else.

Wrong.

You associate 'dickheads' with tank-tops and looking in the mirror.

I love looking in the mirror because I'm proud of my appearance. I love the way I look, is there anything wrong with that? I don't ask others to stare.

As for tank-tops, what's wrong with wearing them? As opposed to a T-Shirt or a Hoody say? I love wearing tank-tops in the summer because I feel more comfortable. If a fat guy wears a tank-top it is usually deemed okay because he's fat, but if a 'ripped' person wears a tank-top they're a 'dickhead'?

If you judge someone entirely on what they wear, then you're the 'dickhead', not them.
Fat guys wear vests all year round. If a guy with a half decent physique wears the same he's a poser.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A girl with a mountain of cellulite on her thighs is fine to wear short shorts too.

Quick Reply

Latest