The Student Room Group

I am not travelling enough whilst young

I'm 23 now and I'm not travelling anywhere. The problem is I don't have many friends and I don't have friends to go travelling with.

I wouldn't mind travelling on my own if there was a project behind it ... for example if I was going abroad for half a year to work or volunteer in some charity organisation. But just travelling to another country or ocuntries for a few weeks I wouldn't do by myself.

I actually feel disappointed that I'm not making the most of my youth and seeing the world and I don't know where to start. I feel like it's too late!

Where can I start??
I'm bored
Reply 2
I went when I was 24, spent two years traveling, just saved up and left, flew into Beijing, never booked flights home.

There are thousands of guys and girls backpacking themselves all over the world, you would be on your tod for max 1-2 days, you will find someone on the same boat, and you will travel together, and meet more folk along the way, it's the best way to do it.

Don't sign up to any volunteer organisations, just travel and help out where you can along the way.
So you went to Beijing and what were the first things you did and where did you bump into others?
Reply 4
Original post by mylifeisover999
So you went to Beijing and what were the first things you did and where did you bump into others?

The first thing I did was struggle to find my hotel, I don't speak Mandarin, and STA travel had given me the hotels address written in English, no taxi driver could read or speak English, but as I was standing looking very confused a guy who was on my flight who luckily spoke mandarin came and told the driver where to take me.

I only booked the hotel for 2 nights as I knew I would be knackered after I landed, but from then on it was Youth Hostels, that's where you meet kindred spirits. After my two nights I booked into a hostel, met a couple of German guys and some Irish girls who were going to Chengdu, so I tagged along, and then met an Aussie in Chengdu that I basically travelled with for a year, through Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand etc.... and we are very good friends now, been out to see him a few times, he's been to Scotland also.

My friend recently left to go to South America by himself, and almost unbelievably, he bumped into a fellow Scot on the second day, so they're both traveling together now, and according to facebook, seem to be surrounded by South American hotties 24/7.

just book flights, don't think about it, once they are booked, you have no choice but to get organised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending