The Student Room Group

Girls: what would you say is the main cause of your insecurities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I'm going to sound like a massive arrogant tosser here, but I don't have many insecurities. I like how I look. I don't see the point in disliking how I look, this is me so I'm going to make the best of it. I like my figure, I think I have a fairly attractive face, and I always look nice. People come up to me and comment on it. So yeah, I like it.

However, I wasn't always confident. I was bullied massively at school for having big boobs and fair skin dark hair, was told I was ugly and looked like a man. I used to be insecure about having visible hair on my arms because I'm naturally black haired with fair skin so I used to think it was obvious and people used to take the piss, but now I don't care. At the time I used to be a bit insecure but now I'm alright. If someone doesn't like how I look it's not my problem. I know I look good.

I don't think I'm photogenic at all though.

Just like my Tyrone. I used to have insecurities too a few years back - but I managed to shift through all of them with much haste. I love the way I am now.

Unfortunately the media imo has a claw into the heads of young girls. Especially with the proliferation of social media sites nowadays, where images are shared at an even faster rate than ever before.

Though this is also prevalent in men - there are a lot of 'short guy' hate campaigns going on Twitter, ran entirely by women - I think social media has an even greater effect on people than magazines and TV - as these messages are being regurgitated and distributed at an alarming rate.

Just my two pennies :tongue:
Being a Chinese girl born into a Western country with their own ideas of beauty and getting called ugly by Western men because they can't understand my brand of beauty :dontknow: ...to my face, I might add! How bloody rude.

On the other hand, seeing impossibly beautiful women in the media doesn't bother me. I must be the only woman who enjoys looking at such perfection, even if it is unattainable.
Reply 22
Thanks! Yeah I know I'm not perfect, I just don't have a problem with it. I don't live to please others. I try to help others be confident as well :biggrin:

I feel the same (I realise I'm not a girl so my place on this thread is a bit obsolete but the principles are the same). I know the weaker points of my personality and appearances and where I'm happy I'm happy and where I'm not I do things to try and make them more how I want (not how I and not how others want). :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by nicatre
Because it's what they who publish it want their product to look like. The issue with the media here is that they aren't working with attraction they are only working with a product which sells their work.

Again, the media can do what ever they want but without those who buy into it it's worth incredibly little; people choose to attempt to live up to impossible images because they perceive it to be desired. I don't personally know any males who find digitally enhanced girls preferable over natural ones and very few females who actively think it's how they "should" be.

I get what you're trying to say. I sat here trying to think what to write in response but I think you are actually right in saying that it's the way the public perceive what the media produces that may be causing all the insecurities. But remember that girls of 12 and 13 are very easily influenced by what they read or see, and in that way the media can be very very damaging to a young girl's self-esteem.

I remember as a young teen I used to flick through girly magazines and feel like absolute **** because I didn't have skinny thighs and long glossy hair like the girls in the photos.
This is an interesting thread! Although I'm not massively insecure, we all have our 'bad days' and I guess for me, it's kinda my desire to always better myself. As in, I hate being average (at anything) and I just tend to think 'oh, if I had thinner legs' or 'if my hair was like hers..' and so on. Sadly!
Reply 25
Original post by shezshez
Guys, probably.

As in them making comments?

Original post by SmallTownGirl
My mental health problems and my eternal singledom...

I'm with you on the second one in some ways...
Reply 26
I've probably worded it wrongly, but lack of appreciation. As in 'no one ever likes me, it must be something to do with my looks/personality/interests etc'.
Reply 27
Original post by fallen_acorns
I wasnt born into a 'girls' body - and as such 20 years of testosterone has given me a hideous and awful body.

HRT is slowly helping this, but it still makes life near un-bearable..

imagine waking up with realy broad shoulders, hair everywhere, no breasts, etc. - yet still being a girl, - its not pleassant :frown:

So yes, this is the main cause of my insecurities..

I'm sorry you have to deal with that situation, it doesn't sound fun at all. :hugs:
Reply 28
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I get what you're trying to say. I sat here trying to think what to write in response but I think you are actually right in saying that it's the way the public perceive what the media produces that may be causing all the insecurities. But remember that girls of 12 and 13 are very easily influenced by what they read or see, and in that way the media can be very very damaging to a young girl's self-esteem.

I remember as a young teen I used to flick through girly magazines and feel like absolute **** because I didn't have skinny thighs and long glossy hair like the girls in the photos.

I know that's true and it's horrible and a lot of the time it seems to be other girls who actually make it worse for each other which is completely dumb.

I hope that when girls start getting to know boys they realise that they're not looking for these images but that they're looking for real, un-airbrushed, people :smile: imperfections and quirks are interesting anyway. Not only is "perfect" inaccessible and ill-defined it is bloody boring!
Original post by Spontogical
Just like my Tyrone. I used to have insecurities too a few years back - but I managed to shift through all of them with much haste. I love the way I am now.

Unfortunately the media imo has a claw into the heads of young girls. Especially with the proliferation of social media sites nowadays, where images are shared at an even faster rate than ever before.

Though this is also prevalent in men - there are a lot of 'short guy' hate campaigns going on Twitter, ran entirely by women - I think social media has an even greater effect on people than magazines and TV - as these messages are being regurgitated and distributed at an alarming rate.

Just my two pennies :tongue:

I agree, the media is a nasty piece of work. I don't pay much attention to it myself, I've never been conventional with personality or looks so I've never really cared, but I understand why other people do. One that gets me is this picture

http://lolzstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/What-Bra-Size-Letters-Really-Stand-For.jpg

I know it's stupid but I know people with small boobs and big boobs who've been made to feel really inadequate by this and it goes round social media all the time. What is the point?!

Another one that annoys me is putting other people down in order to feel good. Real women have curves vs Fat women are disgusting, it's like what why? You can appreciate one bodytype without putting someone else down. What's wrong with "I like curvy women" and "I personally prefer smaller ones" [curvy is a shape but that's another rant~] why do you have to insult someone?
Reply 30
Original post by hollieeilloh
This is an interesting thread! Although I'm not massively insecure, we all have our 'bad days' and I guess for me, it's kinda my desire to always better myself. As in, I hate being average (at anything) and I just tend to think 'oh, if I had thinner legs' or 'if my hair was like hers..' and so on. Sadly!

I get that too :rolleyes: I sometimes find myself saying "oh if I had such and such I would be so much happier", but Ive come to realise that just isn't true. You gotta learn to love who you are now or you'll never be happy. Now I just gotta take that advice haha.
Original post by nicatre
I feel the same (I realise I'm not a girl so my place on this thread is a bit obsolete but the principles are the same). I know the weaker points of my personality and appearances and where I'm happy I'm happy and where I'm not I do things to try and make them more how I want (not how I and not how others want). :smile:

I'm glad you're happy :tongue:
Reply 32
I agree, I think everyone should be confident. It makes me really sad that a lot of women dislike how they look. I spent too long disliking myself to give a fraction of a **** what anyone thinks of how I look. I don't read women's magazines, and I don't watch typical things with celebs and models in. Plus I've never really found them very attractive anyway :tongue:

I really recommend reading this
http://fullerfigurefullerbust.com/

It's written by George who's a size 18 and really body positive. If you like her on Facebook, you'll see all the cool stuff she posts.

Thanks I shall check it out! :h:

It makes me sad when I see larger girls who are clearly confident in themselves walking down the street in say a short skirt, and you see girls or guys taking the piss out of them behind their backs :sad:
The fact that people have told me I'm pretty, but I never get any attention from guys at parties.

Original post by Lucy96
People calling me anorexic because I'm thin. :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. It's horrible, and so insensitive when I'm making a huge effort to put on weight.
Reply 34
Original post by nicatre
I know that's true and it's horrible and a lot of the time it seems to be other girls who actually make it worse for each other which is completely dumb.

I hope that when girls start getting to know boys they realise that they're not looking for these images but that they're looking for real, un-airbrushed, people :smile: imperfections and quirks are interesting anyway. Not only is "perfect" inaccessible and ill-defined it is bloody boring!

It's nice to hear you think this way. A lot of guys on this forum are very insulting about women's bodies.
My first wave of massive insecurity came from when I was around 13, I was standing with a group of friends, who were talking to this boy, trying to cheer him up because he was sad that he couldn't get a girlfriend (such problems for a 13 year old.) Anyway, he said something like 'I'm so desperate, I would go out with any of you. Well... not you (to me) but everyone else I would.' My 'friends' at the time did a sort of mock shocked face and said things like 'omg Tom you can't say that' all playfully, trying to hide their laughter etc.

That comment was kind of the final straw for me, lead to a massively destructive eating disorder, depression, self harm, dropping out of sixth form, it's only really in the last few months that I managed to get things together again.

So yeah. Main cause of insecurities - comments from others.
Thanks I shall check it out! :h:

It makes me sad when I see larger girls who are clearly confident in themselves walking down the street in say a short skirt, and you see girls or guys taking the piss out of them behind their backs :sad:

Yeah I really hate that. Some larger ladies are absolutely beautiful. It's like I get that it's not your preference but where;s the need to insult them?! It's horrible
Reply 37
I get that too :rolleyes: I sometimes find myself saying "oh if I had such and such I would be so much happier", but Ive come to realise that just isn't true. You gotta learn to love who you are now or you'll never be happy. Now I just gotta take that advice haha.

Very true. Everyone has traits which makes them attractive and aspiring to have every possible one (thinner legs, fatter legs, taller, slimmer, nicer hair, more buff etc) is just absurd. Playing to your individual strengths for the win :smile:

I'm glad you're happy :tongue:

:smile:

Yeah, that's exactly right! Always want what you can't (in some cases anyway) have huh?! It's true - you need to learn to love yourself. In general, I am a really confident person, but not always self confident (if that even makes sense) but I just try to stick by 'fake it until you make it' to be honest. Yesss, you do, take it - or else! :colone:
I did break one guys nose. :teehee: Didn't stop it though ha.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending