The Student Room Group

How would you handle being called a paki?

Ok, so i know race related questions are looked down on on here but here me out. If there's a specific section for this, please point out.

My mums english and my dads burmese and i look indian, i'm christian.

Some college friends made terrorist jokes about me and i ditched em as of what people said on here.
I don't know why but everytime i get called a paki i just get upset for a long duration.
Today while i was playing xbox my mum overheard some girls in the next door garden saying she dated a paki and how i'm paki skin colour.

I look like my mum but im brown like my dad and i just feel like lightening my skin. i had a talk with the neighbours but my mum said not to and the mum said she didn't hear anything. Well my mum called the police and their on the way now.

What would you do in this situation?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ignore and move on. Racism is a fact of life.
Reply 2
Original post by Longshot700
Ok, so i know race related questions are looked down on on here but here me out. If there's a specific section for this, please point out.

My mums english and my dads burmese and i look indian, i'm christian.

Some college friends made terrorist jokes about me and i ditched em as of what people said on here.
I don't know why but everytime i get called a paki i just get upset for a long duration.
Today while i was playing xbox my mum overheard some girls in the next door garden saying she dated a paki and how i'm paki skin colour.

I look like my mum but im brown like my dad and i just feel like lightening my skin. i had a talk with the neighbours but my mum said not to and the mum said she didn't hear anything. Well my mum called the police and their on the way now.

What would you do in this situation?

Bro you're still extremely young, by the sounds of things. Be happy with who you are - what you consider a 'negative' now will be a positive for you in the future believe me on that one!

Never EVER consider altering anything physically about yourself! You should be proud of who you are and where you've come from.

Seriously focus on your studies, meet more like minded people and be surrounded by positive people - many of whom will be the same race as you, you'll laugh about this stuff in the future.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
wait...your mum's calling the police because your neighbours called you a paki? :lolwut:
Reply 4
Don't waste police time lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
If its the same person saying it consistently and you don't like it tell them to stop, firmly. People should start to respect you when you do this. If you are not telling people this then its likely to continue. I would only de-friend someone once you had already told them to stop and they didn't. Also I would advise taking some of it on the chin, they probably don't intend any harm.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I'd be surprised because I'm English and white.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think I have an unusual view on it. To me, the word itself isn't any different than calling someone a Brit. It's just a short version of where you're from. In your case it's different because you're not, BUT since you made the thread, does anyone else think like me?

I just wondered if I'm really that strange!

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I meant if it doesn't have a negative tone to it is it still offensive?

Also, just to clarify, I don't go round calling people Pakis just because I wondered about this. Ya know, before everyone hates on me. It was just a curious question! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Beckyweck
I think I have an unusual view on it. To me, the word itself isn't any different than calling someone a Brit. It's just a short version of where you're from. In your case it's different because you're not, BUT since you made the thread, does anyone else think like me?

It's use has clear racist connotations. And it's use is to offend.
Original post by Venom123
It's use has clear racist connotations. And it's use is to offend.

Sorry I meant to say if it wasn't said in a nasty way. I thought it and never typed it. xD
Reply 10

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I meant if it doesn't have a negative tone to it is it still offensive?

same here
If I were called "paki"? I would be a tad bemused, as I am white.
Reply 12
It's difficult for you to really put yourselves in the OPs shoes, as you cannot feel the same anxiety he/she would feel.

To the extent that s/he'd consider lightening their skin is alarming
It's another way to offend. People get called ugly, fat etc all the time.

I don't care what people call me and I always laugh it off, but if it effecting you then tell them to stop. Not sure what else you can do.

If they know it gets to you, they will just continue.
Reply 14
If someone calls you a paki, face them, and tell them to stop.

If they continue being rude, walk away, for they are very ignorant and not worth wasting your precious time on.
Reply 15

Totally not. I think you're an idiot. For your second question, I think it's also an idiotic one. What does negative tone even mean in the context of racist labels?
Reply 16
You feel like lightening your skin? That won't stop you being half Burmese. And who said having white skin was the precedent that we all have to aspire to?

You should be proud of your heritage and skin colour. If the tables were turned do you think that all your neighbours or whoever else was being racist towards you would want to be tanned if you were calling them racist names? I highly doubt that.

What they said was very wrong, but changing who you are isn't going to make things better. Standing up to this kind of behaviour and showing bullies/racists what they are doing is wrong, is what you need to do, don't let anyone make you feel less of a person or that you're not good enough because you're not white!
Reply 17
Sorry how do I create a thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yothi5
Totally not. I think you're an idiot. For your second question, I think it's also an idiotic one. What does negative tone even mean in the context of racist labels?

I don't think Beckyweck meant anything offensive, I think she just worded it wrong which we all do sometimes.

Also, with her last question, I think she meant people can joke with being offensive. I know, this is not the case here. People jump to the racist mark far to quickly nowadays, and I think that can effect the way someone reads something.
You're incredibly lucky.. I would absolutely LOVE to be of a mixed heritage. By the sounds of it, your neighbours sound ignorant/jealous because it's always the mixed raced girls who look the prettiest :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest