The Student Room Group

How would you handle being called a paki?

Scroll to see replies

looooooool, I mean I'm brown but if you're going to be so sensitive about it, people are going to keep calling you it because they get off on the reaction, brush it off and move on, after all it's only a word.
Reply 41
Call the the feds as well
Original post by qr95
Call the the feds as well

Get dem roti's out, :rofl:
Reply 43
Original post by James A

He's more likely to get into trouble than his neighbour for wasting police time tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Some other notes:

It's the community police not the actual police.

The family were Jamaican.
Original post by College_Dropout
You're roti better be round

They're my mums. Of course they're round :biggrin: That being said, my own are somewhat round :smile:

Original post by James A

Give them as a peace offering :biggrin:
I'm a pakistani and i sometimes don't like it when people say 'paki'. I myself say 'paki' because I am one, its like blacks that can say the N-word but we cant. Although i do allow some of my close friends to say paki because obviously i know they wont say it with the wrong intention. But if someone said it in a convo, i'd tell them not to say it (if they wernt a pakistani) and justify it. If someone called me a paki in a bad way then i'd simply just let them get away with it by not doing anything; because they're only saying it to get a reaction out of me and hence i wont give them what they want :smile:
Reply 47
It depends in what context the word is used tbh.

Get the helicopters out

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Someone gets called 'paki', everyone laughs it off.
Someone gets called the 'n-word', everyone loses their minds!

Silly people.
Reply 49
Why call the police over this? Their comment included you as they were comparing your shade of skin to someone else? Why are you deeply offended? I am Pakistani and I'd be annoyed if someone called me paki as a racial remark to my face but I'd say something back I like the way I am, don't lighten your skin those products are extremely dangerous And mixed raced people have beautiful glowing skin
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd find it kinda weird because I'm white.

Spoiler

Reply 51
Original post by Longshot700
Some other notes:

The family were Jamaican.

That's okay then. Only whites can be racist tbh.
Reply 52
I'd be like, "I'm Bengali, you ****"

And watch their faces twist in confusion as they realise that there exists a third type of brown person.
Reply 53
Original post by MancBoy
Someone gets called 'paki', everyone laughs it off.
Someone gets called the 'n-word', everyone loses their minds!

Silly people.

:eyeball:

I'd have thought it was the opposite.
Original post by TheAsian
:eyeball:

I'd have thought it was the opposite.

I agree with him to be honest. When you can't even type the word you're referring to and have to resort to saying 'the N word' then you know which one is considered to be worse.
Reply 55
Original post by Wilfred Little
I agree with him to be honest. When you can't even type the word you're referring to and have to resort to saying 'the N word' then you know which one is considered to be worse.

I'm thinking in terms of which is said casually more often. You'd hear "ma niqqaaaaaaaa" a lot more than "my paki" (that doesn't even sound right), although both are said with friendly connotations.
Original post by yothi5
Totally not. I think you're an idiot. For your second question, I think it's also an idiotic one. What does negative tone even mean in the context of racist labels?

I don't really know how to describe it, certainly not without sounding offensive and have everyone yelling at me for trying to explain. I guess it's like, if no one had ever used the word Paki to be racist would it be any worse than Brit currently is. I imagine at some point it was a word to describe origin or something, just like how a lot of words weren't originally intended to be offensive. There's some people here that sums up the tone thing:
Original post by TheAsian
I'm thinking in terms of which is said casually more often. You'd hear "ma niqqaaaaaaaa" a lot more than "my paki" (that doesn't even sound right), although both are said with friendly connotations.

Original post by nana14
I am pakistani myself, and to be honest it depends on the context someone uses 'paki' in.. if they're clearly trying to offend me then yes it'd annoy me but i'd allow them to feel happy in their spitefulness however if someones saying it but not in an offensive way or as a joke (just say a friend did ) i wouldnt care...

Original post by MedMed12
I'm Pakistani and don't use the term myself just because it would be double standards if I wouldn't want someone to say it to me but refer to it myself.
I understand fellow Pakistanis use the term, thats understandable sort of as its shorter, but I wouldn't like a non-pakistani saying it at all!

^That's what I was trying to get at.

Original post by natninja
That's the whole point - calling people it because of their colour regardless of where they are from, a lot of the people who it gets said to find it equally offensive as a black person would if they were called a ****** or a wog. It isn't like calling someone a brit at all...

I suppose my reply above sort of is aimed at you too. I was asking about what people think about the word, not the way people use it. Of course no matter what now, it will always be offensive because people have used it to be offensive. But in centuries to come it's surely possible that Brit might be on an equal footing in insult whereas to us it's nothing. Just like when our grandparents were young, it was perfectly acceptable to use the word ******. My friend's Gran had a black cat called ****** and my Mum had a black rabbit called Sambo after the Story of Litte Black Sambo book. Sorry I'm rambling, I just find it quite difficult to explain. xD
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
I don't think you have proof of that whatsoever...(to dot dot dot you)
Reply 58
Original post by Longshot700
Ok, so i know race related questions are looked down on on here but here me out. If there's a specific section for this, please point out.

My mums english and my dads burmese and i look indian, i'm christian.

Some college friends made terrorist jokes about me and i ditched em as of what people said on here.
I don't know why but everytime i get called a paki i just get upset for a long duration.
Today while i was playing xbox my mum overheard some girls in the next door garden saying she dated a paki and how i'm paki skin colour.

I look like my mum but im brown like my dad and i just feel like lightening my skin. i had a talk with the neighbours but my mum said not to and the mum said she didn't hear anything. Well my mum called the police and their on the way now.

What would you do in this situation?

I am not from Pakistani descent so I wouldn't be offended at the word itself but I would get very angry at the fact someone dared to insult me (for no reason). So I would probably challenge them..
I meant that people used it to refer to their origin, not to be offensive. I know where it's come from. :P I admit I wasn't very clear though and that did make me look a bit thick! xD

Quick Reply

Latest