The Student Room Group

GCSEs for Chemical Engineering?

Hey! I'm interested in Chemical Engineering and have taken the appropriate A Levels for such, but I was wondering do universities place much emphasis on GCSEs and what will the average applicant have?

I just left a pretty bad state school and am predicted to get either 3A*s 2As 3Bs and a C or 5As 3Bs and a C, do I stand a chance in chemical engineering?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone? :smile:
Original post by Marcum
Anyone? :smile:

Pretty much the standard stuff I believe. At least a C in GCSE English and Maths (for some universities, a B in Maths and English is required), sciences are also looked at and should be at least grade C (But mainly Maths and English).

Your A-levels take up the bulk of concern for universities (unless they're super-selective). I got 2As, 5Bs, a C and a D at GCSE. But I still managed to get offers for chemical engineering and I'm studying at UCL. Of course, times change, but if you show a solid growth and progression you should be fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks mate! Congratulations on getting onto the course, and in a decent university also! :smile:

Does anyone else have an opinion on whether I'd be able to study chemical engineering at university with those GCSE grades, even with the latter set of them? Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest