The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2014 Applicants

Thought I'd get this cycle's thread started and hopefully get the news out early that things are changing.

Please note, as the specifics of the process are being decided during the summer break, the details are subject to change and I will update it with any information that is received. This is however, the current information I have managed to get from the admissions department during recent outreach programmes :biggrin:

So, as of this year there are a lot of changes coming it at Southampton for the standard 5 year course:

Interviews
BM5 applicants will now be interviewed as part of routine practice.

UPDATE: This is going to be, a group interview and an individual interview.

Selection Dates:
Currently the dates are scheduled as follows (please note this is subject to change):

Tuesday 10 December 2013, BM5 applicants

Thursday 12 December 2013, BM4 applicants

Thursday 23 January 2014, BM4 applicants

Friday 24 January 2014, BM4 applicants

Tuesday 28 January 2014, BM5 applicants

Thursday 30 January 2014, BM5 applicants

Tuesday 11 February 2014, BM5 overseas applicants

Wednesday 12 February 2014, BM5 overseas applicants

Tuesday 11 March 2014, BM5 applicants

Wednesday 12 March 2014, BM5 mature non graduates/graduate applicants

Wednesday 19 March 2014, BM6 applicants

Any applicants invited for interview will be expected to attend on the given date where possible. Due to the nature of the selection process, it is unlikely that we will be able to offer an alternative date.

Personal Statement
While this has previously been crucial for a Southampton applicant, due to the introduction of interviews, it is no longer the case. It continues to be judged using the same criteria, but now forms part of a bigger process, potentially shaping interviews.

UKCAT
-previously used with a cut off score of 2400, anyone below discounted.
Applicants will now be ranked according to UKCAT score. Individuals will be invited to interview starting with the highest UKCAT score, continuing down until they are no longer interviewing. The cut off also still applies.

Entry Requirements
The entry requirements should remain AAA however there will an additional requirement of an A at AS. Other qualifications (BTec etc) will continue to be accepted.

GCSE's are now 7 A*-A to include Maths, English LANGUAGE, and either double or triple science - whichever taken has to be all at grade A).

Resists

Students resitting (GCSEs OR A Levels) will not be considered unless the resit is to improve an acceptable grade. For example resitting to bring English Language GCSE from a B to an A is not accepted, however resitting GCSE Maths to bring it from an A to an A* will be fine as an appropriate grade is already achieved.

Resitting within the 2 years of A levels is acceptable

Otherwise, good luck to those applying!!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you know how many international students they accept each year ?
Reply 2
Original post by dexter-morgan
Do you know how many international students they accept each year ?

I can find out as I don't know exactly, but there are always lots of international student in the year as far as I can tell :biggrin:
Reply 3
Sound pretty hellish - So glad I got in this year round..!
Reply 4
Original post by Djinne
Sound pretty hellish - So glad I got in this year round..!

Congratulations :biggrin: It's looking like a written piece of work, a group and individual interviews but nothing confirmed. From one end to the other. Oh well :smile:
Awww they gonna do interviews? Great now one more worry :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Joannywhite
Awww they gonna do interviews? Great now one more worry :frown:

I am afraid so. I think there is only one uni left that doesn't now.
Original post by BethaneyJ
I am afraid so. I think there is only one uni left that doesn't now.

which one?
Reply 8
Original post by Joannywhite
which one?

Queens in NI apparently. Glasgow don't interview all and some people say Edinburgh, but it is not a reason to choose a university :no:.
Reply 9
Edinburgh don't interview. And at sot'on open day the minimum gcses are 7as, and I think this must include English maths and sciences not sure about inclusion of maths and sciences but definitely English.

Atm it's probably my 5th choice, but that could change very quickly, in regards to ukcat anyone have a predictor of what would be ok? Also are they just using total or subset scores, did crap in VR.
Reply 10
Original post by t()m
Edinburgh don't interview. And at sot'on open day the minimum gcses are 7as, and I think this must include English maths and sciences not sure about inclusion of maths and sciences but definitely English.

Atm it's probably my 5th choice, but that could change very quickly, in regards to ukcat anyone have a predictor of what would be ok? Also are they just using total or subset scores, did crap in VR.

I think it is the total score as they use a total score as a cut off, I would imagine it'd be the same. I can try and find out what the average UKCAT score has been in the past but as they've never done this before and as the application is totally different I imagine it will change.

Also, I thought you could only choose 4 places for medicine on UCAS?
Wow massive changes! I'm most surprised about the UKCAT ranking, it seems they now do a similar interview selection to Glasgow? I'm not surprised about interviews though, I was interviewed for 2013 entry (I'm starting the 5 year program in Sept) and found it absolutely fine, but then it was a panel interview. I think interviews are better for selection as the uni can really see your personality, something which is important for a medical career.
hey!!
I'm an int'l student!!

So according to what's been said here.... interviews are gonna be tougher.... ya???

What is the interview gonna be like??? what's usually gonna be asked out there???? :smile:

I'm taking my UKCAT on the 1st of Aug (that's the day after tomorrow!!)!!!
Anyone doing the same???:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Sharanya S Kumar
hey!!
I'm an int'l student!!

So according to what's been said here.... interviews are gonna be tougher.... ya???

What is the interview gonna be like??? what's usually gonna be asked out there???? :smile:

I'm taking my UKCAT on the 1st of Aug (that's the day after tomorrow!!)!!!
Anyone doing the same???:biggrin:

Hey! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well they are going to be way harder as until this year they didn't have them :wink:

Read above for details on what is likely to happen. I don't think even the staff know what will be asked as they are currently planning it all :wink:

I imagine the individual interview will be based on your PS though :yes:
Reply 14
Hey I was thinking applicants that dont have an "Education background" Do they still take that into consideration when reviewing applications as this could not only affect their UKCAT score but also their grades
Reply 15
Original post by AhmedDavid
Hey I was thinking applicants that dont have an "Education background" Do they still take that into consideration when reviewing applications as this could not only affect their UKCAT score but also their grades

I imagine this would be decided on a case by case basis and you would need to contact the university. However I am not sure how lenient they'd be as they have BM6 as well. They're usually pretty strict on grades etc.
Reply 16
I think it is the total score as they use a total score as a cut off, I would imagine it'd be the same. I can try and find out what the average UKCAT score has been in the past but as they've never done this before and as the application is totally different I imagine it will change.

Also, I thought you could only choose 4 places for medicine on UCAS?

Yeah of course.

And yeah I know but I have 4 I like but If I can't apply to them sot'on is 5th in my rankings so it a back up atm
Hey! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well they are going to be way harder as until this year they didn't have them :wink:

Read above for details on what is likely to happen. I don't think even the staff know what will be asked as they are currently planning it all :wink:

I imagine the individual interview will be based on your PS though :yes:

OKay!! thx!!:smile:
Reply 18
I imagine this would be decided on a case by case basis and you would need to contact the university. However I am not sure how lenient they'd be as they have BM6 as well. They're usually pretty strict on grades etc.

Contact them I shall, thank you very much
Original post by t()m

What did you get overall in your ukcat?