The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yep I'm applying to Barts for GEP with:

2:1 MChem Chemistry from Oxford, pharmacology option and thesis
720 UKCAT Band 1 SJT
-------
2 years working in heathcare consulting in the city
2 months working in Kings as Honorary Observer (Paed surgery and cardiology)
Week with GP, week in community paediatrics
Palliative care hospice for a year

Hoping that will get me an interview, fingers crossed! Best of luck to everyone.
Hey guys, I'm applying for both the A100 and A101 for Barts.

I have an upper second class honours in biomedical sciences alongside a UKCAT score of 3120 (570, 780, 900, 870 and Band 3 for the SJT).

Original post by MJK91
Hi guys and girls, who else is applying to Barts GEM this year?
...My background:
-1st in Biomedical Science with a year in an NHS laboratory dealing with fungal disease;
-UKCAT: 640, 680, 800, 840 (740). Band 1 SJT...

Where else are you applying to Dr. Kneale?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by MJK91
Hi guys and girls, who else is applying to Barts GEM this year?

My background:
-1st in Biomedical Science with a year in an NHS laboratory dealing with fungal disease;
-UKCAT: 640, 680, 800, 840 (740). Band 1 SJT;
-As part of that I helped participate in a public health initiative dealing with education and improving diagnostics for fungal disease in developing countries;
-Voluntary work in a local hospital and at Oxfam;
-Part-time carer at home;
-Shadowing experience in respiratory medicine, infectious diseases and vascular surgery. Potentially GP experience soon.

Woah... that's a seriously good application you've got there!!

I went to the UoL information day a while back and had a wonder around the Queen Mary's Mile End campus and the Whitechapel campus. Thought the W campus was really dreary at first, although the ME campus is nice. Been thinking recently that actually I'd like to be in London and really don't fancy doing the BMAT, so had another think about Barts and it just makes perfect sense for me to apply to the GEP course here.

Yesterday I went and had a wonder around the W campus and the Charterhouse Square campus. Thought the CS campus was beautiful and, although the W campus is quite dreary, it's what you do inside the buildings that counts. I also totally get the East London advantage thing they bang on about. W campus and CS campus are probably only a mile or two apart, yet the different populations they cater for are completely different. I also like how the uni is not self-assuming at all, it just seems like a really modest, down-to-earth uni unlike others that are clearly quite pompous. All in all, it's certainly a positive choice for me. :biggrin:

Edit: Should probably write something about myself!

Applying for GEP course.
777.5 average UKCAT (3110; 620, 690, 900, 900; Band 2)
2:1 Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol
(A2 - AAAAB, GCSEs - 8A* 2A)

- Shadowing work in paediatrics, fetal medicine, A&E, obstetrics and gynaecology, and a whole day in the operating theatres observing all sorts from obs/gynae to orthopaedics to maxillofacial. Also saw keyhole surgery, which was pretty cool and a caesarean preganancy, which was incredible!
- Volunteering work in a post-operation surgical care ward at a local hospital and also in the A&E department of the same hospital.
- Week spent in pharmaceutical communications
- Week spent in medical education
- 8 week internship as a research intern in my university's epidemiology department
- Attended a number of medicine lectures during uni
- Starting medical administration work soon and SJA training
- Studying the full Chemistry A level this year, teaching myself the guitar and learning to drive (neither of the latter two are relevant but hey, at least I'm being vaguely productive!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Congrats everyone, seems like you've got some great results and voluntary work done!

I'm a soon-to-be MPharm graduate (EU), UKCAT 3190, Band 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone have any guesses on the cut-off?
Original post by applicant111
anyone have any guesses on the cut-off?

No, since they haven't invited anyone yet. It's definitely going to go up judging off other universities, so I'm just hoping it stays below 2960...

Latest

Trending

Trending