The Student Room Group

Subject ranking vs overall ranking

Hi everyone

I am interested in the civil engineering program of Cardiff.

It is pretty good at the subject.

But the overall ranking is quite bad.

Is it good to get in ? 

Or should I study one more year and get in university like Sheffield or Bath?
A great deal of nonsense is written on TSR about Rankings.

Here are a few things that are worth thinking about:

1. League Tables are compiled using a whole of data that has no bearing on u/grad courses - like research funding and how many books a Professor in a totally different area published last year. Its actually pretty meaningless stuff and you really dont need to get hung up on it when applying for an u/grad course.

2. Universities go through 'fashions'. One considered the coolest one year isnt the next. Opinions on courses come and go. And ultimately, your degree result wont be dependent on 'the Uni', but on how much work you do.

3. Rankings will never tell you if you will enjoy the course, or if you are likely to get the required A levels, or if you'll be happy at that Uni. The two things that will help you choosing a Uni/course are 'reading the course description' in detail, and going on an Open Day.
Original post by Goose.
Hi everyone

I am interested in the civil engineering program of Cardiff.

It is pretty good at the subject.

But the overall ranking is quite bad.

Is it good to get in ? 

Or should I study one more year and get in university like Sheffield or Bath?

Can you visit the university? That would be your best bet. I think Cardiff sounds great, but that's just me. But you should put your own happiness before what looks better on a piece of paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Coffeetime
Can you visit the university? That would be your best bet. I think Cardiff sounds great, but that's just me. But you should put your own happiness before what looks better on a piece of paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cannot visit the university unfortunately
Original post by Goose.
I cannot visit the university unfortunately

Understandable. I'm in the same position then. I suggest going onto YouTube and looking at videos of the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest