The Student Room Group

3-parent IVF

3-Parent IVF is the next up-coming medical advance and could be a great step for the UK in terms of overcoming mitochondrial disease. mitochondrial disease has a range of severities: from no symptoms to organ disease, and death. it is a result of failing, or in efficient mitochondria and impacts 1 in 6,500 children in the UK

the procedure:
the mother and donors nucleus' are removed from the eggs. the donor's nucleus is then disposed of and replaced with the mother's nucleus; leaving an egg with healthy mitochondria and the mothers nucleus.
this egg is then fertilised and then re-implanted into the mother.
the child then contains 1% DNA from another person, and that DNA will also be passed on to future generations within that family.

i am studying the topic for an extended project as part of my a-levels and im interested in what everyone has to say about whether you think it should be allowed and why you have come to your reasons considering both the medical and ethical side of the argument

thanks for your input! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
You might want to give us a bit more background...

Posted from TSR Mobile
A child with 3 different biological parents ?
Reply 3
Original post by mmmpie
You might want to give us a bit more background...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ive added more information, hope that helps!
Reply 4
Original post by DuncanMono

some people believe it results in three people, some people say the third party isnt really a parent, because only 1% of the DNA is from them, what do you think?
Reply 5
Original post by DuncanMono

Not quite. The only genetic information from the 'third parent' (the enucleated donor egg) is the mitochondrial DNA, so only 37 genes - the nuclear DNA, which determines the genotype of the child, is from the parents. Essentially, the third parent only provides mitochondria and a 'house' for the nucleus from the mother :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 6995
ive added more information, hope that helps!

I thought it might be nuclear transfer.

If the technology is safe and mature, which is a technical question for embryologists, then I see no problem. I don't see why we shouldn't use technology to prevent disease, none of the ethical questions associated with genetic engineering or human cloning arise. And as a technology, it's related to several other important developing areas such as same-sex reproduction and artificial gametes, both of which hold lots of promise for the future.
Don't know why anybody would have a problem with it, as usual :colonhash:

Allows for gay couples to have truly their own children. How is that not ****ing awesome?! :lolwut:
Original post by 6995
some people believe it results in three people, some people say the third party isnt really a parent, because only 1% of the DNA is from them, what do you think?

I think I don't,t know enough to opine one way or the other, but that many great minds will find an innumerate quantity of arguments and counterarguments
Reply 9
I'm uneasy about this, if I'm honest. Only two people are needed to create a child, no more, no less.

Why can't we try and find medicines for these conditions rather than tamper with nature?
Reply 10
Original post by MangoFreak
Don't know why anybody would have a problem with it, as usual :colonhash:

Allows for gay couples to have truly their own children. How is that not ****ing awesome?! :lolwut:

If it's used for designer baby purposes then I will have a problem with it.
Original post by MangoFreak
Allows for gay couples to have truly their own children

No it doesn't. Both maternal and paternal DNA are still required otherwise there will be a whole world of problems related to imprinting
Reply 12
Why don't people just adopt if they're that adamant to have a child? Helping the world at the same time.
Reply 13
for your EPQ are you planning on focusing on the ethical dilemma? that can go in so many different directions, such as should the child know the identity of their third parent like a donor parent, is it safe, should we use extraordinary means to create life in an already over populated world etc.
also what is your title?
sounds very interesting and i'd love to read your essay when you're done
Original post by 6995
thanks for your input! :biggrin:

'3 parent' IVF is a bit misleading.

Without the genetic material the third donor (of the egg cell) has provided next to nothing.

The child is still pretty much inheriting the genetics of it's two intended parents.

Original post by 419
Why don't people just adopt if they're that adamant to have a child? Helping the world at the same time.

This. Adoption needs to stop being seen as a side story to child-parent relations.

Blood alone makes not a loving parental-child bond.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending