The Student Room Group

Has anyone got anthing yet for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Oops pressed post before I'd written anything sorry!! I meant to say I'm the same, I keep buying things and saying 'oh it's for uni so it's ok' to justify it haha! I need new uni boots right? :tongue:
I've bought all my notebooks and pens etc, I don't need house stuff because I'm living at home. I just need a bag now and a new laptop and I'm done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by sarahmay17
I have a spreadsheet all ready for what to buy and how much. Oh the joys of having OCD XD

Lol you're like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
I hope you guys realise how exciting this all sounds to those applying to uni this year! :tongue:
Reply 83
Original post by Serenade
Lol you're like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankfully not the only one then :smile:
I'm waiting till results day until I buy anything, just in case! Have been "collecting" things like pens, notebooks etc. that I've found around the house though aha :")
Reply 85
Original post by Ollymurslove
I'm waiting till results day until I buy anything, just in case! Have been "collecting" things like pens, notebooks etc. that I've found around the house though aha :")

PENS! I l don't know how i hadn't thought of writing pens down considering how i'm down to coloured pencils and sharpies :facepalm:

I'm still waiting for results day as well, at least for the bigger things like linen and stuff... to tell the truth, i've only actually bought is a few notebooks and a load of posters
I now have a toilet brush for Uni! First item purchased xD Off to IKEA this weekend to hopefully get plates etc.
Reply 87
I've made copious lists and have researched extensively on the internet.
My plan is to order a big bulk of stuff off ikea and get it all delivered to my uncle's house (lives near the uni). Fly over a few days before freshers, go shopping and buy whatever else I need for starting off and then continue to collect stuff as I go along if need be.
Even now it sounds like a brilliantly flawed plan but c'est la vie!

Did mention that I would need to buy stuff to mum yesterday and she got a bit freaked out... "what so you mean you'll be needing to bring pots and pans with you!?". God knows what she was thinking, though she did offer to buy me a toastie machine so at least she's prioritizing :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 88
I have a few small bits that I've picked up over the last few months (laundry bag, tea towels, some bedding and some stationary in the whsmiths sale) but I'm waiting for my accommodation confirmation before I buy anything else. I've had my unconditional since november but it still doesn't seem real, and probably won't until I throw down my £300 halls deposit.
(Thanks Bangor, I didn't have to work a million hours at minimum wage to pay for that or anything.)

How much is everyone budgeting for stuff they need to buy? I have a 3 page long list in my filofax and I've estimated it will probably work out as about £170-£200 (So I'm budgeting £300 just in case).
Original post by Kirstyae
I have a few small bits that I've picked up over the last few months (laundry bag, tea towels, some bedding and some stationary in the whsmiths sale) but I'm waiting for my accommodation confirmation before I buy anything else. I've had my unconditional since november but it still doesn't seem real, and probably won't until I throw down my £300 halls deposit.
(Thanks Bangor, I didn't have to work a million hours at minimum wage to pay for that or anything.)

How much is everyone budgeting for stuff they need to buy? I have a 3 page long list in my filofax and I've estimated it will probably work out as about £170-£200 (So I'm budgeting £300 just in case).

I'm dreading the money! I've got 5 lists in my filo (although one of them is just paperwork that I need to take). My parents took me to ikea with a £100 budget and I couldn't believe how little I seemed to get for it! I've saved like £2000 for uni, but I'd like to take as much as I can to uni rather than just spend it on stuff for uni, if you get what I mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Willbean
I mean what you need to take such as cutlery, plain books, washing stuff etc for September?

I'm looking at lists now on what to take but we still have a month and a couple of weeks left to get ready. I feel it's too early to get prepared.

I don't think there is anything like being 'too early'. I started making my list in October the year before I went to uni and ended up with an Excel List (divided in different columns according to categories) with over 300 items none of which were cutlery since I lived in a catered hall. I'm sure I could have added another 100 or so for kitchen accessories if I was in self-catered. I put them in categories of clothes, stationery, first aid, electronics, food, cosmetics, and miscellaneous. For that reason I was the most prepared one out of all my friends and whenever they needed anything I had it and for myself I never needed to ask anyone for anything.

If you are like me and you love lists, start with a list and try to get everything together and buy things asap and don't leave anything to the last minute. It will make life easier for you later on.
My parents have bought me things with the weekly shop over the last few months but I still need to get most of my stuff.
My next door neighbour had a new kitchen last month and she (very helpfully and kindly) offered me all her old stuff that she was otherwise going to throw out. I turned down things like the mug tree but did get some good cutlery, and an exciting egg slicer!
I'm most pleased with the Italian cookbook I picked up at the charity shop. It has loads of healthy, easy and 'real' recipes that I can't wait to cook. :-)
Reply 92
Original post by lascelles
I'm dreading the money! I've got 5 lists in my filo (although one of them is just paperwork that I need to take). My parents took me to ikea with a £100 budget and I couldn't believe how little I seemed to get for it! I've saved like £2000 for uni, but I'd like to take as much as I can to uni rather than just spend it on stuff for uni, if you get what I mean?

Yeah, a lot of the stuff we need is pretty expensive stuff (who knew quilts were so pricey????)

Yeah I know what you mean. Luckily my loan + grants means I don't have to worry about money but I'm hoping I'll have some of my savings left after I get everything I need o.o
Reply 93
As far as saving money goes: you need a lot less pots and pans than you think. Seriously, a lot less. Some of the piles that people turn up with are excessively oversized, and generally completely unnecessary. A frying pan, a saucepan or two (or a nest of billies if you're that way inclined), and you can do pretty much anything (especially if you get either billies or saucepans with metal handles, so you can put them in the oven).

Oh, and in a more long-term money saving thing: lots of plastic containers that you can freeze food in. Not only is it cheaper, faster and less awkward to cook several days worth of food at a time, but you can also build up a mass of frozen stuff before particularly busy times (exams etc.) so you don't have to cook during exam periods.
Original post by Willbean
I mean what you need to take such as cutlery, plain books, washing stuff etc for September?

I'm looking at lists now on what to take but we still have a month and a couple of weeks left to get ready. I feel it's too early to get prepared.

I have 90% of the stuff I need boxed up and labelled in the spare room, ready for the 22nd Sept. I started shopping in March. Last year.
Reply 95
Been saving up for ages, but I'm very reluctant to spend it haha

But so far I have got pots and pans (got a brilliant deal in Tescos - 3 pans and 1 frying pan for £6).
Some notepads and pens and some bedding.

I'm just taking forks, knives, plates, mugs etc from home as I have tons of spare.

Already got all my clothes packed also.. seeing as I work 2 full time jobs (one in the day, one at night) so I rarely wear clothes that aren't pj's or my uniform haha
Can't wait to pick up a social life at uni. :biggrin:

Dundee, here I come.

I also don't get to keep ANY of my loan :frown: which sucks.
So I doubt I'll be staying at university long.
No money coming from parents either.
(edited 10 years ago)
I have a duvet cover and pillow cases because I got them for my birthday. And I've got spare tea towels but I'm going to start a list tomorrow of what I need. It's kind of annoying that I don't get the loan till 9th sept (the day I start, move in on the 7th) so I have no money to buy anything, so have to borrow money off my dad then pay him back. It would be easier if they just gave it two weeks in advance or something. I'm hoping I can get kitchen, bedroom and stationery for £350 (budgeting money is not my strong point, no idea if thats okay or way off but I'm going to see tomorrow.)
Reply 97
I'm budgeting £500 for my move to uni, excluding the laptop (which is going to be another £400-500). £500 sounds like a lot, but that includes things like hair straightener and dryer and clothes -- I have sisters so I've been used to borrowing their straightener/dryer and things like cardigans but now that I'm moving I'm going to need my own stuff!

Already have an amazon wishlist, a detailed word document of what to bring, and an excel spreadsheet of items and prices. *Sigh* this is what happens when you mix OCD with too much free time.

Haven't bought anything as of yet, but I'll be starting this week -- just starting off with duvet and pillow sets though.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm still at the start of the stockpiling stage.. bought some travel sized shampoo/conditioner and cotton pads/buds just in case I move in and have no time to go out and buy toiletries and all that. Also got a little shower caddy because I'd be sharing a bathroom, which reminds me, I probably need a bathrobe or everyone will see me running around butt nekkid.

Otherwise, I'm gonna be heading to IKEA next week to get bedding, hangers and organisational stuff (and probably a few more things that I may or may not need). Packing is going to be a chore :headfire:

Probably going to be a paranoid parrot for the next few weeks, because my checklist keeps growing ughhhh
I'm not exactly sure how big of a list one would need for uni, surely you just take stuff to decorate your room and cooking and stationary essentials with toiletries included, what else is there to need?

Quick Reply

Latest