The Student Room Group

Dealing with 12-hour shifts

Hey,

So I've just started working at a factory for the summer, which has 12-hour shifts and already work 11-hour shifts at a care home every other weekend.

It's boring as hell - I'm wiping the sides of coleslaw and potato salad containers and actually felt sea sick from watching the convey belt go past.

Basically how do others deal with having most of their day taken away and getting up so early (5.30am start!)?
Reply 1
I just focus on what I am doing after and what I have to look forward too (i.e. a night out, free weekends, gigs, etc etc) I know getting money is great but it'l make you miserable unless you spend some on urself, and if you are doing 12 hour shifts plus odd weekends in a care home I'd say your earning a fair ammount

take the days you do have to recoup (rest relax have fun) or do somin you really want to and enjoy such as a new films a gig, playin football etc

I also find gym helps get over work blues, when I've had a realy tough day I go into the gym and use it as motivation, thinking about how much better it will be when im stronger, healthier, fitter in general lol (its fairly motivating)

Lastly, I dont really like my job most days but when I finish I dance down those stairs, yes dance.. just taking small moments in your day to enjoy somthing simple is key imo to coping with parts of your life you dont really like

So do a little victory dance when you finish (assuming the area is safe to do so lol) raise your fist and shout YES! (assuming your boss isnt right behind you lol) and march out that door knowing your out of it until the next day lol :P

seriously though the dance makes me feel better, I probably look a right fool tho lol
I just think of the money that I am earning, and imagining what I can do with it. Going out and going to the cinema. Things like that get me through very long days at work.
I think of the money when i'm working 13 hour shifts at work
Reply 4
Original post by LukeM90
I just focus on what I am doing after and what I have to look forward too (i.e. a night out, free weekends, gigs, etc etc) I know getting money is great but it'l make you miserable unless you spend some on urself, and if you are doing 12 hour shifts plus odd weekends in a care home I'd say your earning a fair ammount

take the days you do have to recoup (rest relax have fun) or do somin you really want to and enjoy such as a new films a gig, playin football etc

I also find gym helps get over work blues, when I've had a realy tough day I go into the gym and use it as motivation, thinking about how much better it will be when im stronger, healthier, fitter in general lol (its fairly motivating)

Lastly, I dont really like my job most days but when I finish I dance down those stairs, yes dance.. just taking small moments in your day to enjoy somthing simple is key imo to coping with parts of your life you dont really like

So do a little victory dance when you finish (assuming the area is safe to do so lol) raise your fist and shout YES! (assuming your boss isnt right behind you lol) and march out that door knowing your out of it until the next day lol :P

seriously though the dance makes me feel better, I probably look a right fool tho lol

:smile: The whole dance thing made me smile

Yeah exercising does help a lot. It's a 25 min cycle from my house and I love cycling so hopefully that will help.

So just try to be a bit more optimistic, focus on the holidays I have got sorted.

Cheers mate :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by DashingHero
:smile: The whole dance thing made me smile

Yeah exercising does help a lot. It's a 25 min cycle from my house and I love cycling so hopefully that will help.

So just try to be a bit more optimistic, focus on the holidays I have got sorted.

Cheers mate :smile:

Lol people usualy like that, I just enjoy "hometime" too much lol victory dance is a must.

Tbh cycling is a good hobby and a great way to get some quality excersise on your way too and from work! ever considered a cycling club? can be a good way to meet new people and a healthy hobby (though some charge for events and club kit etc)

yeh, thats what its all about tbh, like most people dont like their job or working in general but it pays for the things you do like and do want to do, and focusing on those things helps make work less bleak lol

and aha where ya going? or just time off in general? I went on a camping trip recently, helped recharge the batteries so to speak lol.

all the best
Reply 6
Original post by LukeM90
Lol people usualy like that, I just enjoy "hometime" too much lol victory dance is a must.

Tbh cycling is a good hobby and a great way to get some quality excersise on your way too and from work! ever considered a cycling club? can be a good way to meet new people and a healthy hobby (though some charge for events and club kit etc)

yeh, thats what its all about tbh, like most people dont like their job or working in general but it pays for the things you do like and do want to do, and focusing on those things helps make work less bleak lol

and aha where ya going? or just time off in general? I went on a camping trip recently, helped recharge the batteries so to speak lol.

all the best

Never thought of a cycling club, will look into that :smile:

Urg I'd hate myself if I ended up doing a job I hated for too long.

Peak district for a week and Cardiff for a few days. Where abouts did you go? Got anything else cool planned? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DashingHero
Never thought of a cycling club, will look into that :smile:

Urg I'd hate myself if I ended up doing a job I hated for too long.

Peak district for a week and Cardiff for a few days. Where abouts did you go? Got anything else cool planned? :smile:

Theres a local one here I was thinking of joining, you see them cycling about the area in their snazzy looking kits all the time lol, they do charity events and races n all, sounds fun.

Ah nice getting out in the "great outdoors" is always nice, and my bro lived in cardiff for years, I hard its a great city,

I went into the mourne mountains and climbed the highest peak (though you dont need ropes or anything its mostly scalable by walking/crawling lol, it was great but at like 7am the heat was unbarable in the tents so everyone was up way too early lol

and nah not really at the moment, Im at work for a while now until I can use holidays again, think id perfer some time off in october or september, no "propper" holidays though, might just head over to england for a while to see my old mates lol,

and yeh being in a job you dont like for a long time can be hard but if the money gives you the lifestyle you enjoy then it does until finding somthing you actually enjoy doing for work lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending