The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Can I switch from MEng to BSc in order to do my master degree somewhere else?

Hi everyone! So, I got accepted into Southampton's MEng in Computer Science programme, but I am considering doing my master degree somewhere else.

My first question is if I can switch. I believe it should be possible since the first two years are almost the same and it's harder to get into the MEng programme.

Also, how well is a Southampton undergraduate degree seen when applying for top universities' master degree? I'm thinking both Oxbridge and USA's Ivy League.
Reply 1
Original post by greencarrot
Hi everyone! So, I got accepted into Southampton's MEng in Computer Science programme, but I am considering doing my master degree somewhere else.

My first question is if I can switch. I believe it should be possible since the first two years are almost the same and it's harder to get into the MEng programme.

Also, how well is a Southampton undergraduate degree seen when applying for top universities' master degree? I'm thinking both Oxbridge and USA's Ivy League.

Yes you can :smile:

Ideally you should be switching before your third year starts, but I've had friends who switched right at the end of the third year as well (to take up a PhD offer in Soton) so that's doable at a stretch.

I've got no idea about the latter, but job prospects are quite good, and we've got lots of staff with strong links with MIT and Oxford so might help somewhat :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending