The Student Room Group

Population question

"Suggest why changes in population age structure alone are not necessarily a reliable predictor of population trends."

I have no idea how to answer this question.

My thoughts are that they do not show the actual birth rates or death rates. They do not show how the population changes, just it at any one point.

If you have any ideas please tell me - I can't think of anything.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
"Suggest why changes in population age structure alone are not necessarily a reliable predictor of population trends."

I have no idea how to answer this question.

My thoughts are that they do not show the actual birth rates or death rates. They do not show how the population changes, just it at any one point.

If you have any ideas please tell me - I can't think of anything.

Thank you :smile:

Exactly that. It doesn't take into account birth rates, death rates, immigration/emigration, natural/environmental effects on population eg volcano's, pathogenic diseases. It gives you the size of the population at any one time, but without many of these or other important pieces of data it's unreliable to predict population trends.
Reply 2
Original post by Eloades11
Exactly that. It doesn't take into account birth rates, death rates, immigration/emigration, natural/environmental effects on population eg volcano's, pathogenic diseases. It gives you the size of the population at any one time, but without many of these or other important pieces of data it's unreliable to predict population trends.

Thanks so much :smile:
The developments in population are not predictable, because the changes of living conditions are not predictable in the future. The better the living conditions the higher population in a region. Think about the black death which was broken out in the whole world in middle ages. Two-thirds of the whole human population in the world was died at the worst time. But when the Black death was fought in the following centuries and the industrialization came into being, the living conditions got better from time to time (although the living conditions were very awful for many humans at work in the heyday of industrialization, no matter whether in factories or underground). The industrialization laid the foundation to break the number of one billion in the 19th century. As you can see the living conditions (and circumstances) are most important.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending