The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can any one post the notes for finger-printing? (DNA hybridisation) or else correct my notes
1. From a sample of human tissue, DNA is extracted and cut with restriction endonuclease.
2.Fragments are then separated to bands by electrophoresis through a gel
3.Pattern is then copied by a nylon membrane and radioactive probes are applied. (probe = short length of DNA)
4.complementary probes bind by hydrogen bonding and an autoradiograph is made.
5. Autoradiograph causes exposure of film and bands of dark lines are seen.

I know it doesnt sound interesting and u would tend to skip it. I did too but i saw one quesiton in a pastpaper... So better take a min or two and memorize it
usman_s
NAS books are good for learning when the topic is taught in class.
Those books are not meant to be revised with. Use a revision guide, "Make the grade" .. NAS series is the best one i can tell u.
Do the old pastpaper questions at the back of the NAS books.

thanx bro!

would you happen to know if ''advanced biology for you'' is good?
Reply 22
can we do the ecology stuff next.... coz i just dont get ne of it and when i start to revise it, it puts me to sleep for real
Reply 23
"advanced bio for u" Ive gone through it and i liked it too. Yeah it can be taken for revision as well, but make sure u make short notes of ur own.
Reply 24
What exactly on ecology do u want to discuss?
usman_s
"advanced bio for u" Ive gone through it and i liked it too. Yeah it can be taken for revision as well, but make sure u make short notes of ur own.

wats better do u think...the normal edexcel nelson books or the advanced bio for you ...i do edexcel board and i read a couple of pages from the advanced biology and found it very easy to absorb however it missed out anabolism catabolism definitions that were in the other book?

wat do u think?
Reply 26
NAS books, they are precise and written for Edexcel. Well some people find it hard and boring to read NAS. But if u read NAS and know all what it says. Ur confirmed to get an A
does the advanced bio for you cover everything because this is definitely easier to understand...i was thinking of reading it in the holidays and then move on to NAS during term time

btw dude thanx for your help! very helpful!

:smile:
Reply 28
Advanced bio for you doesnt cover certain things which are important..
Well If u want a degree in biology or ur intending for a course at uni that involves bio then u should go for "Advanced biology" The fat book..
When you read around that book you will be very well prepared for the exams plus for the uni.
Well here are the books which are the "essential" ones for bio at A level
1)Collins for unit 1, 2 and 3 <---------- the best revision guides i ever came across
2)NAS books
3) Make the grade

These are more than enough. For reading chapter by chapter use NAS. When exams come closer use Make the grade together with collins.. and ur done

Advanced biology for you is a little simplified... keep it as a side kick. When ur bored u can njoy the diagrams in it.
Best of Luck
thanx.

i was thinking of reading advanced bio for you topic first until i understand it and then switching to the NAS where i will learn from it (granted it should be easier after having read the textbook). i have decided not to let my holidays waste so i will be ahead.

what u think of this technique or do u think i should just return the advanced biology book and revise/learn from nas
Reply 30
Well I think ur technique is good. Go for it and im sure NAS would sound easier to you when you read it after advanced bio for u. Im impressed buddy.. what are u predicted at GCSEs?
Reply 31
To dearest usman and wrestling...
can u discuss erm... the proper reference book in other thread?
^^ i think the others wan to you to explain wat's the content instead of name of reference book. hehe. Enjoy~
Reply 32
Good morning to all lovely, hardworking fellows~

How's revision for yesterday's topic?
Today... as we are going to revise on...

5B.2 Control of growth in plants

5B.3 Biodiversity
Classification
Distribution of plants and animals
Succession
Population
Conservation

Ready for them????
Later i'll share some way to revise bio in a fun way~
Reply 33
A fun way to beat a msn-jerk, in the mean time learning bio.
Yesterday, i was blogging while a guy add me in msn.
He requested to play miniswepp
if he win, i need to take off my clothes one by one.
So, it's quite fun.
In stead of playing tat stupid game.
I wan him to ans my biology questions.
If he got them right, i'll strip.
But he end up losing in game. so.. therefore, i blocked him.
he is such a jerk. luckily he is not a bio student.
Otherwise, i need to be naked. lol.
Reply 34
Nandoz
can we do the ecology stuff next.... coz i just dont get ne of it and when i start to revise it, it puts me to sleep for real

Upon your request :smile:

Ecology Summery:
Defination[ i know u hate this, but by hook or by crook, memorize em]
Population: Is a number of organism of the same species living in the same area at a particular time.

Community: Is a group of populations held together in an area by feeding or competitive interactions.

Ecosystem: Community of organisms interacting with their environment.

:cool:
Reply 35
PART II

1. If a population is not changing,the growth rate will be zero. Numbers in a population can increase due to birth and immigration. Decrease due to death and emmigration. (so easy,man~)

2. Population is growing at a its maximum rate, with births higher than deaths. This occurs when a species colonises a new habitatand no factors, e.g food, space, light, limit the population growth.

3. Exponential growth cannot continue. Population number will reach a level where there are too many individuals and intraspecific competition occurs for resources, so growth rate declines.

4. A sigmoid growth curve (if u dunno wat it is, read ur textbook!!) shows that intraspecific competition is a density-dependent mortality factor.

5. The proportion dying increases as population density increases because the level of competition for resources.
Reply 36
PART III

Abiotic factor vs. measurement technique
1. pH- pH meter/ soil testing kit with indicator
2. oxygen content of water- oxygen probe
3. light intensity- light meter

Ecological technique:
(A) Plant
1. using a frame quadrat.
2. an area is defined using a table of random numbers to provide coordinates.
3. The 0.25m2 quadrat is placed at the coordinate and the presence or absence of a species is recorded.
4. Repeat the experiment.

Percentage frequency = (number of quadrats in which the species was present) x 100 / total number of quadrats

Limitation:
1. Do not take into account the cumpling of organisms.
2. Some areas are left unsampled.
3. The same area could be sampled more than once.
4. Do not take into account seasonal variation.

(B)Animal
mark-release-recapture

estimated size of the population = 1st capture x 2nd capture / 2nd capture with marks

Assume no emigration or immigration, birth or death...
Reply 37
usman_s
Can any one post the notes for finger-printing? (DNA hybridisation) or else correct my notes
1. From a sample of human tissue, DNA is extracted and cut with restriction endonuclease.
2.Fragments are then separated to bands by electrophoresis through a gel
3.Pattern is then copied by a nylon membrane and radioactive probes are applied. (probe = short length of DNA)
4.complementary probes bind by hydrogen bonding and an autoradiograph is made.
5. Autoradiograph causes exposure of film and bands of dark lines are seen.

I know it doesnt sound interesting and u would tend to skip it. I did too but i saw one quesiton in a pastpaper... So better take a min or two and memorize it

Nice note. thanks. [Add-On]
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_quicklearn.asp?loc=ql&topic_id=7&quicklearn_id=3&subject_id=3&ebt=73&ebn=&ebs=&ebl=&elc=13

study hard!!! :cool:
Reply 38
Q1. (a)(i) Photolysis of water with the present of light.
(ii) To form ATP or reduce NADP.

(b) mitochondria will produce e- without light. But in Tube C, colour remain
unchanged after 20 mins. Photolysis only occur with present of light.

Q2.(a) The exicited electron caused by photon of light will pass through the electron transport chian. Energy released is used to form ATP-photophosphorylation.
(b) ATP are made during respiration as well, because energy are need for the transportation of ions from soil to root cells, synthesis of macromolecules, active transport...

3/(a)(i) and (ii) Anyone know the ans??? (b) as well...
Reply 39
tutorial for Ecology:

1. Define the following ecological terms:[if u got them all right, u deserve a break~ congratulate!]
(a) community
(b) ecosystem
(c) Succession
(d) Species
(e) Population
(f) Intraspecific competiton
(g) Niche

2. A field has been burnt and left bare.
(a) discribe the changes that will take place over the next ten years.
(b) What usual agricultural practices take place which prevent succession?

3.Suggest factors that may influence the length of time taken for a wild population to reach the carrying capacity.

4. A graph shows the population change over 24 hours in yeast cells following introduction into a large volume of well-aerated nutrient solution.
Point A to B shows a decrease.
(a) Suggest why the population changes between points A and B?
(b) Suggest two factors that may determine the population's carrying capacity.

5. An estimate of a mobile population can be calculated using the Lincoln index.
(a) Name two methods of marking the animals.
(b) What assumptions have been made?

=Try them=

Latest

Trending

Trending