The Student Room Group

Does this dress look horrible with big boobs?

Poll

Will this dress look OK on an hourglass figure?

It's my friend's party next week and I really want to get this dress:

DR07090_041_a.jpg
DR07090_041_b.jpg

The problem is, I don't have a figure at all like the model in the picture. I'm petite (around 5 foot) and have a very hourglassy figure. I have a slim waist and am in good shape but unfortunately my shoulders and boobs are huge for my height (32D) and my hips are also fairly wide.

Will this style of dress (shift dress) look horrible on me? I'd go to the store and try it on, but they don't have it in my local Lipsy.

What do you reckon? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, I think shift dresses look better on boyish figures. I have a smaller bra size than you but I wouldn't wear that dress either because I always look awkward with such a high neckline.
32D isn't huge, it's actually quite average. I'm sure it'll look fine.
32D is a fairly average bra size.

But I don't like shift dresses on big boobs
Reply 4
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
32D is a fairly average bra size.

But I don't like shift dresses on big boobs

It looks weird on my height though, I'm literally around 5"1 :s-smilie:

Do you reckon it would look trashy on my kind of figure?
Original post by La belle jolie
It looks weird on my height though, I'm literally around 5"1 :s-smilie:

Do you reckon it would look trashy on my kind of figure?

Measure yourself according to this I have a feeling you're in the wrong bra size

http://voluptuouslythin.wordpress.com/measure-yourself/

I don't think it would look trashy, I just think there's much more flattering dresses you could have
Reply 6
For a second i thought your arms were on strings
Reply 7
Original post by Astra_K
For a second i thought your arms were on strings

Are you sure you're posting on the right thread?
I guess it depends on your figure, personally I have big boobs and know that the dress would look odd on me. As someone else has said, shift dresses suit more boyish figures. Shame as it's a nice dress haha :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by La belle jolie
Are you sure you're posting on the right thread?

I'm not daft.
Original post by Astra_K
I'm not daft.

Your comment doesn't make sense?
Reply 11
I think it's the pose you're pulling in the first pic
Original post by Astra_K

That's not OP in the pics......
Original post by Astra_K

Lol, that isn't her.
Original post by Astra_K

That's not me, else I wouldn't be asking if I should buy the dress?
Reply 15
As others have said D isn't that large - it should look fine. Does the website offer free returns? If so then I'd order it then just return it if it doesn't look right :smile:
Reply 16
I personally agree that this sort of dress suits more boyish figures - my mum gave me a really nice black shift from when she was younger and I used to wear it when I was 15 (just turned) then just before I turned 16 and after I hit the last bit of puberty and my hips got a lot wider and my boobs are a bit bigger (nearing a 34D whereas I was a 32B/34A at one point of wearing that dress. I was a 34C at one point but I am tall) and nowadays it looks bad - like I don't know how to dress my size and I'm 5'7. :frown:

EDIT: as the above user said, f you can return it for free (not sure if Lipsy allow in store returns) and you have enough time it's worth a shot!)

PS - I have one of these (in royal blue which is no longer stocked) http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/dresses-442/fit-flare-dresses-562/cap-sleeve-flippy-tunic-43548?refinements=category~%5b257491%7c208523%5d&bi=1&ps=200 and it is the most flattering dress type ever for my figure. If you can find something similar - or wear black with a statement necklace and matching statement shoes - I would with how you described yourself :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Measure yourself according to this I have a feeling you're in the wrong bra size

http://voluptuouslythin.wordpress.com/measure-yourself/

I don't think it would look trashy, I just think there's much more flattering dresses you could have

There is noooo way i'm a 32E!! I've wore a 34B for years!

:confused:
Original post by curved
I personally agree that this sort of dress suits more boyish figures - my mum gave me a really nice black shift from when she was younger and I used to wear it when I was 15 (just turned) then just before I turned 16 and after I hit the last bit of puberty and my hips got a lot wider and my boobs are a bit bigger (nearing a 34D whereas I was a 32B/34A at one point of wearing that dress. I was a 34C at one point but I am tall) and nowadays it looks bad - like I don't know how to dress my size and I'm 5'7. :frown:

EDIT: as the above user said, f you can return it for free (not sure if Lipsy allow in store returns) and you have enough time it's worth a shot!)

PS - I have one of these (in royal blue which is no longer stocked) http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/dresses-442/fit-flare-dresses-562/cap-sleeve-flippy-tunic-43548?refinements=category~%5b257491%7c208523%5d&bi=1&ps=200 and it is the most flattering dress type ever for my figure. If you can find something similar - or wear black with a statement necklace and matching statement shoes - I would with how you described yourself
:smile:

Really? Not my usual style but might try one out :smile: Does it look good with flats too?
Everything looks good with boobs.

Latest