The Student Room Group

gay marriage allowed, not mentioned on news

Last night I watch most of the national 6pm news on bbc and itv. There was no mention of it. I watched all of the 10pm bbc news, incased I missed it. Nothing.

Am I going mad, or was it not mentioned at all !?!?

I had to google it, to check that it had gone through !

Especially after all the coverage of debates, protests and campaigns.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was also conspicuously absent from the Daily Mail and the Express yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You know what this disgusts me how a TV show which is supposed to be unbiased doesn't cover a massive event just because of what backward homophobes think.
Original post by mmmpie
It was also conspicuously absent from the Daily Mail and the Express yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Daily Mail needs time to work out how to twist it as much as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
But to the OP, it was a breaking news alert on the BBC website/app almost immediately after, I'm not sure if they had an article in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess heart radio is one of the few media thingys that aren't homophobic...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by shadowdweller
The Daily Mail needs time to work out how to twist it as much as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Telegraph were very quick to tell everyone how this oppresses the church and will bring about sunset on the Empire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
But the BBC article says it is hoped that the first marriages will take place next summer. If it is law now, why a whole year? That tells me all the different proposals/laws/whatever haven't been fully legalised? You can tell I don't really know how it works, but do you know what I mean?

Because when California legalised gay marriage it was breaking news and I swear the first marriage took place on like the same day.
Reply 8
Because it doesn't matter. It panders to the minorities AGAIN at the expense of the morals and ethics of the majority
Reply 9
Original post by lou_100
But the BBC article says it is hoped that the first marriages will take place next summer. If it is law now, why a whole year? That tells me all the different proposals/laws/whatever haven't been fully legalised? You can tell I don't really know how it works, but do you know what I mean?

Because when California legalised gay marriage it was breaking news and I swear the first marriage took place on like the same day.

There's about 8000 pieces of secondary legislation, it's going to take a while to set everything up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found this strange, I didn't even know it had gone through until my cousin posted about it on Facebook (He's gay so it was a big deal to him)! I think it's unfair there's been such little coverage about it, especially seeing as it's quite a big thing to be changing. But I suppose there were bigger things to be reporting about.

I'm not a big watcher of the news, but it's always on in the background at my house.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Harrow.7
Because it doesn't matter. It panders to the minorities AGAIN at the expense of the morals and ethics of the majority

It's not actually at the expense of the majority, most polls have shown the majority to be in favour. But either way, how is it at the expense of their morals/ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I read it on facebook too, watched sky news this morning but I didn't heard anything. I was wondering, is it legal in Scotland too? I read somewhere it was for England and Wales only. Legislation about gay unions/marriage can be confusing :confused:
Reply 13

The majority is going to suffer what exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sbladi7
I read it on facebook too, watched sky news this morning but I didn't heard anything. I was wondering, is it legal in Scotland too? I read somewhere it was for England and Wales only. Legislation about gay unions/marriage can be confusing :confused:

No, Scotland's bill is separate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by shadowdweller
It's not actually at the expense of the majority, most polls have shown the majority to be in favour. But either way, how is it at the expense of their morals/ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it is unnatural and creepy
Reply 16
tbh its absolutely ridiculous how much power the media have over the common people's knowledge. for example, an american veteran was driving to a mosque with 500 people inside it intent on blowing them up; his car boot was full of explosives. despite being arrested, the news wasnt broadcast by a single major news station. if he had been called 'Mohammed' or 'Abdul', however, it would be a completely different story. acting in the public interest my ***
Reply 17

So there's no actual detriment to anybody then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are Boohbaa, but that's still a hit with the kids.
Maybe it's because this is a formality, we all knew it was going to be legalised. I doubt it's due to rampant homophobia in the media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending