The Student Room Group

What to do when there is literally no jobs??

Ugh, im going to uni in September and reaallly wanted a job so that i could support myself! I live in Belfast,and there is NOTHING,i have checked every day from the beginning of summer and theres either nothing or a store/restaurant requires you to have *this amount* of experience, but ive never had a job before so i can't apply!

can anyone give me advice on how to deal with this?
Reply 1
Try looking for voluntary work for non-profit organisations e.g. charity shops, shows you're willing to put time aside to learn while working for free and gives you the attributes for a retail environment. It's not paid work of course but due to the current economic standards it's harder to find a company that will hire you (especially in the retail sector) without prior experience. If push comes to shove, when you're contacting possible vacancies you could say you're willing to work under a trial period to prove yourself.
Reply 2
Ah yes, you carn't get a job without experience, you carn't get experience without a job...been there.

To be honest though I think a lot of the time it's a bit of a equphamism for 'credability'.

I mean it must be hard for employers taking someone on with a blank CV, they could show up to the interview looking smart, saying all the right things, maybe behave themselves for a couple of weeks, months even, then turn out to be a complete waste of space.

Obviously if you've volenteered in a charity shops shop or something, probebly not going to be the case, paper round even is better than nothing.
Reply 3
Volunteer work. It will give you work experience and if you move up to assistant manager you can get paid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending