The Student Room Group

Accountant apprenticeship?

So I have just had to leave my college and do not wish to join another one after the year I have experienced. I was wondering what the best apprenticeships to look for in accounting would be for someone like me who has just completed their AS-levels.

Any suggestions?
Reply 1
Depends what you're interested in and your location.
What is your ideal career path?

Personally, I have been on a gap year but I have been applying for apprenticeships since April and it has been an extremely unreliable and displeasurable experience.

Originally, I was applying for Business & admin because there were so many of them listed, but then upon discovering Accounting Apprenticeships being advertised by a local college, I went in to discover that they only provide the academic side to it. They said they do not help you find an apprenticeship and you have to do all of that yourself and to then come back to them when you have a work placement. This was very misleading considering on their website they stated otherwise. When searching for apprenticeships in accounting I've had no luck, there are none advertised in my area, there are a couple which are being advertised 40 miles out. I am now looking at higher education courses to start in September as the Apprenticeship searching was a complete waste of time for me.

Back to your question, I would say if your location offers you these oppurtunities then sure, go for it. But be wary of the entry requirements because some of these Accounting apprenticeships require 2 A Levels at grade C or above. Others may just require your GCSE grades.

Hope this helped.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sh9
Depends what you're interested in and your location.
What is your ideal career path?

Personally, I have been on a gap year but I have been applying for apprenticeships since April and it has been an extremely unreliable and displeasurable experience.

Originally, I was applying for Business & admin because there were so many of them listed, but then upon discovering Accounting Apprenticeships being advertised by a local college, I went in to discover that they only provide the academic side to it. They said they do not help you find an apprenticeship and you have to do all of that yourself and to then come back to them when you have a work placement. This was very misleading considering on their website they stated otherwise. When searching for apprenticeships in accounting I've had no luck, there are none advertised in my area, there are a couple which are being advertised 40 miles out. I am now looking at higher education courses to start in September as the Apprenticeship searching was a complete waste of time for me.

Back to your question, I would say if your location offers you these oppurtunities then sure, go for it. But be wary of the entry requirements because some of these Accounting apprenticeships require 2 A Levels at grade C or above. Others may just require your GCSE grades.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for the reply, So the best and most worthwhile accountant apprenticeships will probably require A-Levels anyway? Glad I found that out
Reply 3
Original post by jordan223
Thanks for the reply, So the best and most worthwhile accountant apprenticeships will probably require A-Levels anyway? Glad I found that out

Your best bet is to simply search for jobs in the local area for AAT trainee's. If you're serious about a career in accounting, you could look further afield, because the chances are you'll be earning around £14,000, so could afford to live away from home if the right vacancy arose.

I am currently in this exact same position myself, the school I go to for A-levels is a snob fest, and I would love to stay, but I just can't face it! haha. Unfortunately I live in the rurality of Lincolnshire, so I have virtually no chance of finding a trainee position locally.
So I have just had to leave my college and do not wish to join another one after the year I have experienced. I was wondering what the best apprenticeships to look for in accounting would be for someone like me who has just completed their AS-levels.

Any suggestions?

Accounting apprenticeships are probably the most rewarding in terms of qualifications/future prospects, but are very competitive to get as many people are considering this option rather than something like uni or college. The more qualifications you hold, the better chance you can have of getting interviews or getting accepted on to one as employee's/training providers want to cut down on possible candidates they consider. So maybe looking at gaining work experience in accountancy can be a advantage to you as you only have as levels, but dont count this as a disadvantage as the requirements are generally 5 A to C's in gcses.

Overall if I was you I would start applying to vacancies that are in your area or you can travel to, soon as possible because it is quite hard to get onto one. Also if your open to other apprenticeships look into business admin and IT, as more vacancies are available in those areas.
You could sign up for the Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Enterprise by the Peter Jones Academy. Here's a link to it: http://www.pjea.org.uk/courses/level-3-advanced-apprenticeship-in-enterprise ! They have a significant marketing and enterprise element in the scheme !

:auto:
Reply 6
Thanks for all your help :smile: I dont quite know what I want to do yet :/
Thanks for all your help :smile: I dont quite know what I want to do yet :/

You will most likely need to find and apprenticeship that leads to completing the AAT then you can progress further to other accounting qualifications after completing AAT.
Reply 8
Original post by Tokyoround
You will most likely need to find and apprenticeship that leads to completing the AAT then you can progress further to other accounting qualifications after completing AAT.

So dont bother unless im going to get an AAT qualification from it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending