The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi.
I am from south-east Asia and I am not very sure about the terms used to describe different practices. May I know what's the difference between private practice and general dental practice? Thank you so much.
I got 2 A* 5 A and 5 Bs in GCSE. Would i be able to get into dentsitry?
Reply 62
Original post by farzana2299
I got 2 A* 5 A and 5 Bs in GCSE. Would i be able to get into dentsitry?

Definitely, what were the Bs in? Just make sure you meet the requirements
Original post by Jitesh
Definitely, what were the Bs in? Just make sure you meet the requirements

I got
A* - maths
A* - childcare
A - biology
A - chemistry
A - physics
A - further maths
A - RE
B - english lit
B - english lang
B - spanish
B - business
B - history
Reply 64
Original post by farzana2299
I got
A* - maths
A* - childcare
A - biology
A - chemistry
A - physics
A - further maths
A - RE
B - english lit
B - english lang
B - spanish
B - business
B - history

Yeah some unis prefer/want A in Eng Lang
It might be a good idea to focus on unis which have a lower GCSE emphasis and if you do well in UKCAT / BMAT (leeds) you should be alright

Someone in my year is resitting Eng. Lang as he's in a similar boat, I'm not sure if Unis are always keen on this
Hi guys, I was looking to find some work experience, but its proving really difficult. I have visited many sites but none seem to offer any. Does anyone know any dental hospitals that offer or any sort of work experience that will prove helpful?
Reply 66
Original post by Sunshine98
Applying for dentistry at QMUL, King's, Dundee and Queen's Belfast.
GCSES 1A*, 4As, 5Bs
AS AABB (RS, Chemistry, Maths, Biology)
A2 predictions A*AA (RS, Chemistry, Maths)
UKCAT today.
EPQ on lung cancer, Grade A
Volunteering at Centre of the Cell, 2 weeks work exp at a care home, work exp at The royal london hospital in the anaesthetic dept. in November plus dental shadowing.

Any suggestions/comments?

I didn't know you could drop biology at A2 and still get in dentistry. I dislike the way biology is taught at my sixth form can i drop it and still have a good chance at studying dentistry next year?
Reply 67
By "2 weeks", what does it mean exactly?

A) 14 days at a GDP.
B) 10 days at a GDP (working week).
C) 2 days for a couple of hours over two weeks.
D) 2 days for a couple of hours over 3+ weeks.

Can anyone clarify pleaseeeee?
Original post by 123chem
Hi guys, I was looking to find some work experience, but its proving really difficult. I have visited many sites but none seem to offer any. Does anyone know any dental hospitals that offer or any sort of work experience that will prove helpful?

Hi - if you are looking for dentistry work experience we can definitely help. You can find out how you can get involved at http://www.gapmedics.co.uk/placements/dentistry-work-experience/ and if you have any questions at all just give us a ring on 0191 603 111 or email [email protected]

Speak soon!
Lauren
Original post by Gap Medics
Hi - if you are looking for dentistry work experience we can definitely help. You can find out how you can get involved at http://www.gapmedics.co.uk/placements/dentistry-work-experience/ and if you have any questions at all just give us a ring on 0191 603 111 or email [email protected]

Speak soon!
Lauren

Thanks! I had a look but i found all placements to be outside UK. I would be very interested if there are any placements within UK. Do let me know if there are any offers in UK! Thanks again.
Reply 70
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding what is appropriate to say "thank you" to the dentists you shadowed?
Of course some nice "thank you" cards came to my idea, but what else? Can I bring some cake for example? Won't be that anyhow inappropriate?

Thanks!

Anna
Original post by AnnaOlk
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding what is appropriate to say "thank you" to the dentists you shadowed?
Of course some nice "thank you" cards came to my idea, but what else? Can I bring some cake for example? Won't be that anyhow inappropriate?

Thanks!

Anna

Cake is a bit over the top i feel :P but it depends on how well you got on with dentist. A card should be fine
Original post by Marrow
By "2 weeks", what does it mean exactly?

A) 14 days at a GDP.
B) 10 days at a GDP (working week).
C) 2 days for a couple of hours over two weeks.
D) 2 days for a couple of hours over 3+ weeks.

Can anyone clarify pleaseeeee?

Just bumbing this, same question here.
Reply 73
Quick question, I've done 2 weeks of work experience with my father (he's a dentist and it took place at his practice.) I mainly worked with him, although a little time was also spent with the nurses and the reception.

One of my friends told me that universities disregard any experience gained with your parents and that I need to do it again somewhere else, is this true?
Original post by 123chem
Thanks! I had a look but i found all placements to be outside UK. I would be very interested if there are any placements within UK. Do let me know if there are any offers in UK! Thanks again.

Hi - all of our placements are outside of the UK yes, however we do offer placements in Europe if you are looking for something close to home. Any questions just let us know :smile:
Reply 75
Hi guys I applied for dentistry last year and recieved three interviews and three offers. I have been where you are now and understand applying for dentistry can be a stressfull process. I am providing a tuition service to help those wishing to apply for dentistry so any who are interested or simply want to learn more, feel free to pm me.Good luck!
What sort of things do you do during dental work experience?
I start tomorrow for two weeks but I'm a little nervous and am extremely shy.
Quite often, not much!
Which is a shame!

But make sure you try and take in as much as you can.
And ask the dentist as many questions as you can without being rude or disrupting the pt appointment.

Be curious, and research things you come across.

Any more help, message me.
D.I.Prep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
I'm looking for possible work placements, preferably before the UCAS 2017 Deadline for dentistry.
I'll really appreciate it if you can may know/suggest any places for dentistry experience (somewhere previously done is ideal) in Kirklees or Leeds, please message me!
Thank you!
Original post by a_syeda
I'm looking for possible work placements, preferably before the UCAS 2017 Deadline for dentistry.
I'll really appreciate it if you can may know/suggest any places for dentistry experience (somewhere previously done is ideal) in Kirklees or Leeds, please message me!
Thank you!

Im in the same situation. Finding it really difficult to arrange workexpeirence at dental practice. Ive done work placements in other health related places but If anyone knows a place in Preston or Lancaster that would offer placement in a dental practice please could you let me know!
Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile