The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Just firmed Warwick for BSc Chem - can't wait :biggrin:
Anyone firmed university of reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura0072
Can't decide between York and Glasgow? Any ideas?

I can't speak for Glasgow, but I absolutely love York. The university, the town, nightlife, and chemistry department. I love the feel of the town during the day, it's very quaint and feels cosy. At night quaint becomes lively, (willow is a must visit club), with many bars, cocktail bars, clubs and pubs to choose from.

As for the university I think its great. I wanted a campus uni and all its benefits, and I found it incredibly easy to settle in, even though I was very worried about moving up north! The department are extremely supportive, always willing to talk to you, in person or by email with literally ANY problems. The staff really do care, and many study academic teaching (what the best way to teach undergrads is) so they are always welcome of feedback, and really try to help you learn.

Labs are an absolute asset to the chemistry department at York. The brand new teaching labs have been a pleasure to use, and with the challenging yet extremely achievable and guided laboratory practical course, this is my favourite aspect of the course.

Hope that helps, hopefully someone will tell you about Glasgow!

Any other questions feel free to ask.

L
Stuck between Liverpool and Newcastle university to study Chemistry??!

I've been offered ABB for both universities to study Chemistry BSc. I have visited both universities twice and i like both of the cities. I think i prefer Newcastle as a city, but the Chemistry department in Liverpool. Could any one advise me on either department? and i didn't have a chance to look at Newcastle accommodation. Is the department more important or where you are living/the university on a whole. And does anyone know how flexible the unis are if you weren't to achieve your grades? Thanks so much!!!
Has anyone firmed Manchester? What's the chemistry department like... I'm doing a foundation year first and then hoping to do chem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oonic0rn

I've been offered ABB for both universities to study Chemistry BSc. I have visited both universities twice and i like both of the cities. I think i prefer Newcastle as a city, but the Chemistry department in Liverpool. Could any one advise me on either department? and i didn't have a chance to look at Newcastle accommodation. Is the department more important or where you are living/the university on a whole. And does anyone know how flexible the unis are if you weren't to achieve your grades? Thanks so much!!!

Hey,

I graduated from Newcastle Uni last summer so I might be able help with some of your questions :smile:

I didn't do Chemistry, but maybe I can point you in the right direction to find out what current/recent students think about it :smile: Our School of Chemistry homepage has some student profiles here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/chemistry/study/undergrad/profiles/ and you can get in touch with current students in NU:Kem (our student-run Chemistry Society) through their Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/nukemncl

You can see the latest accommodation brochure here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/flippingbook/accommodation/student-accommodation2015-2016/ and you can find blogs from current students talking about their accommodation here http://www.oncourse2ncl.co.uk/index.php?s=accommodation

In answer to your question about not achieving your grades, this is what our Admissions Team said:

All applicants who narrowly miss the conditions of their offer are reconsidered again together when the results are published in August. Whether we are able to accept near miss students depends on the number of applicants who have met the conditions of their offers and the number of places we have available on our programmes; however preference is given to those who have committed to us as their firm choice.

If you have any questions about living in Newcastle or about the Uni in general, let me know! Hope that helps! :smile:

Persephone
Original post by ScrivoChem
I can't speak for Glasgow, but I absolutely love York. The university, the town, nightlife, and chemistry department. I love the feel of the town during the day, it's very quaint and feels cosy. At night quaint becomes lively, (willow is a must visit club), with many bars, cocktail bars, clubs and pubs to choose from.

As for the university I think its great. I wanted a campus uni and all its benefits, and I found it incredibly easy to settle in, even though I was very worried about moving up north! The department are extremely supportive, always willing to talk to you, in person or by email with literally ANY problems. The staff really do care, and many study academic teaching (what the best way to teach undergrads is) so they are always welcome of feedback, and really try to help you learn.

Labs are an absolute asset to the chemistry department at York. The brand new teaching labs have been a pleasure to use, and with the challenging yet extremely achievable and guided laboratory practical course, this is my favourite aspect of the course.

Hope that helps, hopefully someone will tell you about Glasgow!

Any other questions feel free to ask.

L

Thanks! I think I might put York down as my insurance choice, are you a student there?
Original post by oonic0rn

I applied/visited both. I can't remember a lot about the department at Newcastle, I found it relatively middle of the road, not good or bad, would be fine. I was a big fan of the Liverpool department - I don't know if they've expanded a bit more since but they seemed to be a slightly smaller department that were more involved with each other. Very personal and very homely.

Newcastle's accommodation I remember was quite varied, and generally I wasn't a fan of most of it - having been to about 10 universities, I had seen a lot better. It was functional, and mostly seemed very social, but in terms of the buildings themselves they were quite bare. Certainly the communal areas of the Richardson Road ones might as well have been more like prison cells - the whole concrete block thing coming through, and the rooms had painted brick in a similar fashion. Liverpool's I remember being alright, not particularly stand out, but I think it was more like a bus ride away? I think most of Newcastle's was well located. Certainly there was a bunch very close to the (very good) sports facilities.

Both aspects are important (Iiving/department) but if you like both enough then i'd put department above living. Both cities and universities will offer a wide range of activities, societies, and events going on so I imagine you'll get on fine with either. You will spend a fair bit of time in your department though, and especially if you later decide to switch to an MChem - you'll be there 30-40 hours a week. You also sound a bit more sure about a departmental preference, but a bit less so about the cities.
Is anyone else intending to do MChem with a year in industry?

Ive applied for BSc with a year in industry but i will hopefully switch to MChem after the first year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UzairSamad
Is anyone else intending to do MChem with a year in industry?

Ive applied for BSc with a year in industry but i will hopefully switch to MChem after the first year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive applied for Mchem with year in industry, what uni have you applied for it at?
Original post by chem@uni
Ive applied for Mchem with year in industry, what uni have you applied for it at?

University of Reading. You?
University of Reading. You?

Durham University
Durham University

Wow really good. What do u wanna work as? Im not so sure atm
Wow really good. What do u wanna work as? Im not so sure atm

Yeah I am not sure either, possibly research, any ideas yourself?
Yeah I am not sure either, possibly research, any ideas yourself?

Not too sure, maybe working in the pharmaceutical, or for gas/oil companies. Possibly going into chemical engineering with an extra year but not too sure as of now
Original post by hunteronetwo
I'm doing Med & Bio at Edinburgh currently, and you don't need it, I did Physics and I've barely used it!

Hi, sorry to bring up an old post, but I'm deciding at the moment between Strathclyde (Chemistry with drug discovery MChem) and Edinburgh (med bio, same as you i think) and I was wondering if you could tell me what it's like at Edinburgh? and does anyone know anything about Strathclyde to help me choose? I've been to visit both uni's and I really liked them both and I really can't choose...:s-smilie:
Any one else a year 14 Student here?
I got BBB last year (3 UMS off of an A in maths :frown: )
So I'm retaking a whole bunch of papers, firmed Bristol for A*AA (they're likely to accept AAA) but that means I have to get an A in Biology which seems impossible seeing as I don't enjoy it as much as Chem and Maths.
If all else fails Nottinghams my Insurance, or i may change course in clearing, having second thoughts about chemistry.
Do you know last year good universities in clearing for chem? And with ABB?
Original post by hanni1996
Has anybody else firmed Cardiff for Chemistry? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have! :-)
Original post by Atkins
Do you know last year good universities in clearing for chem? And with ABB?

I saw liverpool (but no idea what grades they wanted) last year but obviously you cant bank on any uni being in clearing, why where have you got offers for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending