The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

I've seen some other subjects start discussions, so i thought it would be useful if there was one for us 'chemists' :wink:

Whether you are going to/ have/currently study/ed/ing chemistry, feel free to give any useful tips and advice for future applicants here! :biggrin:

I'm currently studying Chemistry,Maths,Biology and History (hopefully dropping history)
I want to apply to study MChem/MSci at Southampton,Bath,Bristol,Nottingham and (yet to decide on 5th choice).

Any opinions from current chemistry students would be brilliant!

Thank you all!

Be sure to check out the Chemistry applicants 2014 wiki too!!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Chemistry_Applicants_2014
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi :h: I'm also hoping to apply for chemistry this year!
I'm studying chemistry, maths and biology to A2, and I've just picked up further maths AS. (I just dropped psychology.)
My current university choices are Durham, Warwick, and St Andrews (all for MChem/MSci) and Cambridge for Natural Sciences :smile:
I can't believe how quickly application time is coming around :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Nottingham has that great Professor Polyakoff bloke from the Periodic Table videos.
Southampton when I looked around it was very nice, a proper campus too. I liked Southampton as a City too.
Bristol has fantastic new labs and is a nice City.

I go to Imperial (going into 4th/final year). Back when I applied I put Southampton as my Insurance because it was my only sub-AAA offer. I suspect most will be asking for AAA, or higher now.

As for advice on preparation for doing chemistry at university, the most important thing to keep up with is your maths. Knowledge of A Level chemistry is not particularly important. Integration and differentiation inside-out is much, much more important. Also converting powers of ten (e.g. nanometres to centimetres) which is simple but under exam pressure can trip a lot of people up. Matrices (which a lot of people who didn't do further maths hadn't done) would also be good to know. Quantum mechanics will be a major part of a chemistry degree, so if you've not done A Level physics then read a bit of background on it (quantisation of energy, how it was proved by photoelectric effect, particle-wave duality) will be useful.
Applying for MChem this year, but where I apply depends on my predicted grades.

I got AAB in AS chemistry, computing, and maths, respectively. Going to resit 1 or 2 maths modules :/

At the moment York is where I'd like to go, but they're asking for AAA :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Just got into Imperial for Chemistry, and recieved all 5 of my offers (they're in my description) so if you have any questions, ask!
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
Nottingham has that great Professor Polyakoff bloke from the Periodic Table videos.
Southampton when I looked around it was very nice, a proper campus too. I liked Southampton as a City too.

I go to Imperial (going into 4th/final year). Back when I applied I put Southampton as my Insurance because it was my only sub-AAA offer. I suspect most will be asking for AAA, or higher now.

As for advice on preparation for doing chemistry at university, the most important thing to keep up with is your maths. Knowledge of A Level chemistry is not particularly important. Integration and differentiation inside-out is much, much more important. Also converting powers of ten (e.g. nanometres to centimetres) which is simple but under exam pressure can trip a lot of people up. Matrices (which a lot of people who didn't do further maths hadn't done) would also be good to know. Quantum mechanics will be a major part of a chemistry degree, so if you've not done A Level physics then read a bit of background on it (quantisation of energy, how it was proved by photoelectric effect, particle-wave duality) will be useful.

damn, imperial is amazing. do you think you made the right choice in university? The only, only thing I dislike about Imperial is the fact that it's in London, I don't think I'd really fit into the big cities, it's the only thing putting me off applying for Imperial.
Original post by Funtry
Just got into Imperial for Chemistry, and recieved all 5 of my offers (they're in my description) so if you have any questions, ask!

I can't seem to find it, so if you don't mind me asking what universities you applied to? I'm having trouble deciding on the last 3, thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by theCreator
I can't seem to find it, so if you don't mind me asking what universities you applied to? I'm having trouble deciding on the last 3, thanks :smile:

Just saw your last post so you probably won't like this, but Kings (w/biomed(don't do biology!)), Queen Mary's, and UCL, and then my only non-London one was York. Kings and QMUL aren't RSC accredited though.
Original post by Funtry
Just saw your last post so you probably won't like this, but Kings (w/biomed(don't do biology!)), Queen Mary's, and UCL, and then my only non-London one was York. Kings and QMUL aren't RSC accredited though.

ahahah bit of an obsession with london I see. Biology is my nightmare, I'm getting my results in 30 minutes and I think it is going to ruin my application. But we'll see....:s-smilie:

to be honest there are 2 universities I have in mind and if I don't get in I'll resit the year because I can't imagine going anywhere else, so I'm wondering if I should even apply to 5. I might do it just for the sake of it and the experience haha

edit: I got 4 A's :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I posted this in a separate thread but in my experience of starting threads (limited) very few people reply - so I'll post my question here:

I just got my AS Level results and Chemistry is my lowest (88.3%) compared to my others - Maths, Physics and Geography (I'm dropping Geography) are all over 90%. Will universities look at this and think that I shouldn't be doing Chemistry because its my lowest? It has been my lowest in all the modules and practicals - when compared to Physics.
Original post by ps321
I posted this in a separate thread but in my experience of starting threads (limited) very few people reply - so I'll post my question here:

I just got my AS Level results and Chemistry is my lowest (88.3%) compared to my others - Maths, Physics and Geography (I'm dropping Geography) are all over 90%. Will universities look at this and think that I shouldn't be doing Chemistry because its my lowest? It has been my lowest in all the modules and practicals - when compared to Physics.

Universities do not see your actual exam/overall percentages, the only thing they see is like Maths - A, for example. Only Cambridge request that you fill in an extra bit with your percentages. With Oxford you can send in your percentages but it is unnecessary and most people choose not to.
Hi all! Hope everyone is pleased with their results.
I'm hopefully applying to Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Warwick and possibly Manchester to do MChem!
Took Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths AS. Dropping Physics for A2 and doing my EPQ on graphene. Haven't found any work experience :frown:

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I want to do chemistry!!!!!
I would like to apply for Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Nottingham and York
Good luck everyone!
Original post by coco_madem0iselle
Hi all! Hope everyone is pleased with their results.
I'm hopefully applying to Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Warwick and possibly Manchester to do MChem!
Took Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths AS. Dropping Physics for A2 and doing my EPQ on graphene. Haven't found any work experience :frown:

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think work experience is really expected for chemistry applicants, but there'd be no harm in getting some!
Reply 14
To every one that is thinking or doing chemistry right now

I just got my AS result and i got

B in Econ(very close to an A)
D in Chem (was expecting a B)
D in Maths (was expecting a B aswell)
E in Phy (which i am dropping):mad:

I know i didn't do too well but i wasn't expecting this and was quite shock, i will do a few retakes and try to bump up my grade but does it mean that I will not stand a chance in getting a place in a good uni(requiring AAA/ABB) to do chemistry?

Or should I do something related to Business now that i can't get into Chemistry in Uni?
Original post by milworthy
I want to do chemistry!!!!!
I would like to apply for Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Nottingham and York
Good luck everyone!

From what I've seen and heard about your results, you my friend are a genius. Future Oxford Chemist right there :tongue:
Reply 16
From what I've seen and heard about your results, you my friend are a genius. Future Oxford Chemist right there :tongue:

Thank you but I'm really not :biggrin:
Here is my AS results:

* A in Chinese

* A in Maths

* A in Economics

* B in Chemistry

* C in Further Maths

* C in Biology

I used to aim the Chemistry course at Imperial College, but my chemistry result is not as good as I expected, so I started to question myself whether I can still get a place at Imperial, UCL, Durham or other top unis.

Please help meeeeeee:'( I really don't know what to do.......
Second Year Imperial Chemist here ! Feel free to ask any questions !

Original post by AnythingButChardonnay

Yeah, first year QM with Bearpark is amazing.... :P

I personally applied to :

Oxford, UCL, Durham, Imperial and Nottingham. I had offers from all but Oxford.

Quick Reply