The Student Room Group

Right to all you meatheads. Going gym twice a day!

I'm taking a year out people of education to pursue things I want to live a little. I deffered my Kings offer so all is good. However, I want to hit the gym and i know i need to bulk up and i am eating approx 200g protein amongst other things however i want to lose weight and become toned at the same time, how do i do this? I was thinking going the gym twice a day as i have alot of free time and doing an hour of cardio everyday as well as htting weight hard?

What are cons and pros of going the gym twice? I have one rest day tho peeps!

Scroll to see replies

Going twice a day will deplete your glycogen stores so really you won't have an effective 2nd workout. The best thing to do is get your strength up first so you have a on good starting base to build on. I would recommend the programme called icreamfitness 5x5 on bodybuilding website.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
no pros. Just do 4 days and 4 sessions a week. 1hour sessions are fine if you hit it hard or 1hours and a half. Wouldn't bother doing more, you should get everything done in that time.
Chest and triceps-Monday
Back and Biceps-Tuesday
Legs-Wednesday
Shoulder, forearms etc-Cardio-Thursday
Rest the other 3 days
Plenty for rest for muscle to repair and grow.
It's not always about how much your are lifting and how long for. You would be worse off working out twice a day really!
Reply 3
200g of protein, daily? You're already off to a bad start, consuming that much isn't beneficial and may be harmful.
Reply 4
Original post by Mockery
200g of protein, daily? You're already off to a bad start, consuming that much isn't beneficial and may be harmful.

How much should I consume?
Reply 5
Original post by jarasta
no pros. Just do 4 days and 4 sessions a week. 1hour sessions are fine if you hit it hard or 1hours and a half. Wouldn't bother doing more, you should get everything done in that time.
Chest and triceps-Monday
Back and Biceps-Tuesday
Legs-Wednesday
Shoulder, forearms etc-Cardio-Thursday
Rest the other 3 days
Plenty for rest for muscle to repair and grow.
It's not always about how much your are lifting and how long for. You would be worse off working out twice a day really!

I do everything on separate days bar bicep and triceps which I do on same day, should i just not run 15 mins every day? That surely is beneficial?
Reply 6
Original post by ArianaGrande
Going twice a day will deplete your glycogen stores so really you won't have an effective 2nd workout. The best thing to do is get your strength up first so you have a on good starting base to build on. I would recommend the programme called icreamfitness 5x5 on bodybuilding website.

Thanks I'll check it out.
Reply 7
where should i start then? It's so frustrating because I know workouts etc i just need see some results to motvate me
Reply 8
can anyone link me a diet that can get me to build myself
Reply 9
Original post by Thenearlyguy
I do everything on separate days bar bicep and triceps which I do on same day, should i just not run 15 mins every day? That surely is beneficial?

you do triceps when you do chest exercises like bench so chest and triceps makes more sense. otherwise if you do chest then triceps and biceps, triceps are already tired vice versa. 15mins is fine, warming up and all.
By cardio I meant longer that 15mins.
Original post by jarasta
you do triceps when you do chest exercises like bench so chest and triceps makes more sense. otherwise if you do chest then triceps and biceps, triceps are already tired vice versa. 15mins is fine, warming up and all.
By cardio I meant longer that 15mins.

Ahh okay!

Well how do i build basic strength up? I sturrgle to curl 12kg man its so downgrading
Reply 11
where should i start then? It's so frustrating because I know workouts etc i just need see some results to motvate me

results in terms of body take long, but strength ones are usually faster I found, you have to be very patient with it if you are nat, you won't really get that hench in a year, but you will look good still if you are rigorous etc. If you are fussy eater, become less fussy.
Diet is probably the hardest part, preparing food etc.
It's hard to tell you how much protein,calories etc you should be eating without knowing you body mass etc and bodyfat percentage.
I recommend tuna, lean meat, nuts (not filling and high in protein), as my favourite protein sources. But if you google body-building diet, you will find good ones, some sights even some websites that will tell you how much of what you need to eat depending on your 'stats'. cant remember the site though :/
Reply 12
Ahh okay!

Well how do i build basic strength up? I sturrgle to curl 12kg man its so downgrading

don't worry about impressing anyone. Start were you are comfortable and go up. I started on 5kg and went up to 12kg in no time.
Original post by jarasta
results in terms of body take long, but strength ones are usually faster I found, you have to be very patient with it if you are nat, you won't really get that hench in a year, but you will look good still if you are rigorous etc. If you are fussy eater, become less fussy.
Diet is probably the hardest part, preparing food etc.
It's hard to tell you how much protein,calories etc you should be eating without knowing you body mass etc and bodyfat percentage.
I recommend tuna, lean meat, nuts (not filling and high in protein), as my favourite protein sources. But if you google body-building diet, you will find good ones, some sights even some websites that will tell you how much of what you need to eat depending on your 'stats'. cant remember the site though :/

I weigh 62kg and have id say 30% body fat, I want to get ripped but big at same time is it possible?
Reply 14
I weigh 62kg and have id say 30% body fat, I want to get ripped but big at same time is it possible?

join bodybuilding forums and you will get much more help there than here.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

that's quite high bodyfat man :/, you need to lose it. Anyway visit that link and sign up for more advice. I have to go now, so I can't really help right now
can anyone link me a diet that can get me to build myself

Keep it real simple, it will be easier to stick to. Porridge for breakfast, mix protein powder with the milk if you're feeling like a ****ing monster, other two meals, just cook a lean bit of chicken breast/turkey breast/salmon/any fish and boil a bunch of veggies, take a multivitamin+mineral, drink 3+ litres of water daily and you'll be making all kinds of gainz
Ahh man i dont want to waste this year i want there to be a huge difference man and im scared there wont be
I'm going ham!

is insanity a good workout?
Reply 17
Ahh man i dont want to waste this year i want there to be a huge difference man and im scared there wont be
I'm going ham!

is insanity a good workout?

Insanity is good for losing weight, don't expect to put much muscle on. It's amazing for shredding away fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
Insanity is good for losing weight, don't expect to put much muscle on. It's amazing for shredding away fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will i get a six pack if i stuck to it? Also I can burn and add muscle at the same time surely? I.e eat well and keep training whilst losing weight by doing insanity? How hard is it?
how much is the insanity dvd?

Quick Reply

Latest