The Student Room Group

Right to all you meatheads. Going gym twice a day!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A random human
These all seem relevant to what im going to post. I too started out with 3x5 and then moved onto 5x5 because i too fell into the trap that 3x5 or 5x5 will "build me slabs upon slabs of muscle instantly". I was constantly bombarded with "GOMAD, oats and squats will make you big". Instead i just got really fat, however i did get much stronger!

Getting stronger on the big lifts which is what you need to start out with. Get strong on those, but it is not enough to build the muscles you desire.

If you want to get bigger you are going to need to do more volume. Now you could do it by doing 10 sets of 3, but you could also do it as 3 sets of 10. Im not entirely sure which would build more muscle, but i have a feeling 3 sets of 8 will as time under tension and muscular contraction is very important in building hypertrophy, and its easier to do this with higher reps.

You could do a set of heavy bench followed by a lighter set of higher reps. I do this. For example i may do a set of 5 reps or maybe a tripple on bench, the heaviest i can manage. After this i will drop the weight and do either incline bench or incline dumbell for higher reps for about 4 - 5 sets, around 10 reps each set. I will still be working very hard, squeezing the reps and pushing myself to the limit. Dont think that you have to drop the weight a whole lot. Drop it, but make sure it is still heavy, and lift that for many reps (in the higher rep range, 10 - 12). I do incline because it brings out the upper chest area, which stands out a lot when wearing a shirt. I find this method helps a lot as the nervous system is excited to a higher level when you do a very heavy set. When you then return to a lower weight, it feels much easier as the threshold for the nervous system has been raised, and thus you can lift more. In addition to this it helps with maintaining and gaining pure strength. But ultimately it is up to you, you could skip the heavy set and just do high reps.

To lukem90 guy. there are so many factors it would take too long to say it here but generally, the human body is capable of much more than we think. Some people max out on squats 6 days a week! These people squat a very large amount. Then come the people saying "how does this work, they are not resting, they are not recovering, but how are they lifting so damn much". Same thing with people who get jacked while in prison. The nutrition is absolute crap but how do they get so big? They are breaking all the rules to bodybuilding right? Thats because the people in prison are in a completely different mentality to us. They NEED to get big, because the biggest get respect in prison. It is competition day in day out, and they have nothing to do other than to work out. Look up averagejoes on youtube, the guys there are insanely strong because they push themselves beyond their limit.

Another thing i would like to point out here, for anyone that is still reading. Dont be afraid of doing bicep curls, tricep extentions, pec flys, side raises, hamstring curls, leg extentions. Many from the SS and SL community will bash you and call you a little girl if you say you do these exercises. Do them. Reasons why gym bros have such big arms and chests even when they dont squat and deadlift or do strength exercises is because it doesnt matter. They do the exercises that directly targets the muscle they want to workout. Want to get big biceps, well guess what, do curls. Pec flys are incredible, very good exercise for building the pecs. Doesnt mean you should just do curls and just do pec flys, and forget doing any chin ups or benchpress or dips, you must also do the compounds, always do the compounds, but the icing on the cake is the isolations. All these isolations you can do at the end of your workout.

Also, i would recommend you do ab exercises like hanging leg raises at the end of all your workouts. It will significantly improve your performance, but most importantly, having strong abs will protect your lowerback. Trust me, do em.

In terms of routine, you can still do your full body workout. You could also do an upper lower split, power hypertrophy (if you still want to do a lot of strength work), 3daw etc... Check out westside for skinny bastard, that ain't bad at all. Generally any bodybuilding routine with enough volume, assuming you push yourself very hard every workout, get enough food and sleep, you will grow. Its very simple, but people tend to overcomplicate. Maybe i have in this post, i hope i havnt.

Thanks alot man i have a couple of questions, can i ask you tomorrow i have to go now and dont want to rush them
Original post by Thenearlyguy
Thanks alot man i have a couple of questions, can i ask you tomorrow i have to go now and dont want to rush them

Go for it, I'll try answer them but I'm no expert so take all my advice with a pinch of salt.

Quick Reply

Latest