The Student Room Group

I didn't get the job

I didn't get the job with the company I really wanted to work for (www.wesser.co.uk). Basically they have around 1000 applications a week right now and they only have around 150 free places - most of which are gone. I was told yesterday I would hear within 24 hours if successful.

I think the fact I am dylexic let me down because my application form which we had to fill in on the spot there, despite having CVs with us and already having an orginal interview on the phone, had several mistakes in there as result.

Also, I found it impossible how a the guy could have gottening to know 12 people within the space on 2 1/2 hours when he did most of the talking. Plus this one girl who already had a friend already accepted was there and was really chatty to the interview guy because apparently this guy had given the her friend a lift and they had spoken about the fact she had a friend who also wanted work. As a result of this already formed "connection" she was very vocal and a lot of the others including myself found it rather hard to compete with her. Then it turned out that the girl sitting next to me also knew the girl who was vocal.

I feel really disappointed because I have the skills and experince for this job and I have been let down despite my best effort because of the group aspect of this interview. I would have thought despite this, my cv which demostated my skills which are invaubleable to this work would have made him think twice.

Now I need to find a job but I really don't feel like it because this job seemed perfect for me. My mother is getting annoyed at the fact I am not trying to look but I can't find anything which interests me.

The guide which I use when preparing should interviews says that you should always send a thank you note the day after and emphsis in this something you believe in revelant but couldn't mention. I want to do this despite thinking I haven't got the job because they may tell me where I went wrong.
Should I?
Reply 1
Awwww, bad luck! :hugs:

It provbably would be best to ask for feedback, as then you can build on this and hopefully do better next time. Although remember today is a Saturday, and sometimes people don't work. I know they said you'd hear, but maybe they forgot it was a Saturday or that relevant people wouldn't be at work.
Juno
Awwww, bad luck! :hugs:

It provbably would be best to ask for feedback, as then you can build on this and hopefully do better next time. Although remember today is a Saturday, and sometimes people don't work. I know they said you'd hear, but maybe they forgot it was a Saturday or that relevant people wouldn't be at work.

:ditto:

Apply to other places...if you get a job with another fundraising firm...go for it..! Get more experience...and then re-apply at Wesser....

:smile:
I don't really want to look elsewhere despite the clear need to do so - I recieve my accommodation contract today remind me of the reason why I need work.

*mubbles bloody expensive place*
Reply 4
There are other fundraising organisations like Dialogue direct?

To be honest though, I don't think you're missing out on much. I know quite a few people who have done fundraising, including with Wesser and most of them mentioned that they encountered a lot of abuse from people they were asking money from. It's not an easy job and a lot of your salary is commissioned based.

Don't despair yet though. It is the weekends. They''ll probably be contacting most people Monday
Angelica
There are other fundraising organisations like Dialogue direct?

To be honest though, I don't think you're missing out on much. I know quite a few people who have done fundraising, including with Wesser and most of them mentioned that they encountered a lot of abuse from people they were asking money from. It's not an easy job and a lot of your salary is commissioned based.

Don't despair yet though. It is the weekends. They''ll probably be contacting most people Monday

I understand your reasoning but I have dealt with abusive customers in the past and done door to door fundraising for certain things in the past (raised £250 for school on one occession) but sigh I just can't take rejection well.
Reply 6
Never mind. Write to them and tell them you didn't want the fkn job anyway -it'll make you feel better.
I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(they called this morning)

Reply 8
wow..congratulations!! did you have to apply again- or am i missing something.
What did you wear for this interview?
What was the general dress code?
Just wondering cause most people applying i guess would be students?
Reply 10
a_musical_gal
I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(they called this morning)

See, told you not to worry!
Tazzie
wow..congratulations!! did you have to apply again- or am i missing something.

Nope - he woke me up this morning - luckly my mobile was on outdoor setting.

I wore a top similar to this without the buttons, black trousures and a pair of black smart shoes from clarks which had a heel I could walk in but weren't flat.

The dress code varied greatly. Everyone was Smart causal dressed and they chosen outfits suited them and their personalities that is basically how I can describe it.
Ask them for feedback, and try to improve for next time.

EDIT: Missed a chunk! Well done!!
Did they ring you again then as you said you didnt get it? Well done though!
No no, they said they would call within 24 hours of getting the job if successful - if you didn't get a call you aren't hired

My call came 3 days later and I believe because I emailed the thank you email and not because he couldn't phone me on saturday - I was sat by the phone.

Latest