The Student Room Group

psychology bsc hons

Hi, I'm rather new to this, I have an unconditional offer for psychology at Manchester met, at college I didn't study psychology A level I did a BTEC with a little bit of psychology. I'm just wondering if anyone could help me with what I need to know so that I'm not as far behind? Any help would be great thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hey, congrats! I'm an honours graduate in psychology and I would recommend reading up on:

Conditioning
Obedience
Stanford Prison Experiment
Baby Albert
Freud (in general)
Bobo Doll Experiment
Attachment Theory
Nature Versus Nurture

Bare in mind though when you begin first year they assume you have no prior knowledge. So anything you do know is just a benefit to yourself. But these are the main topics/areas I'd suggest having a look at if you're interested and have some time on your hands :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AshleyPeppa
Hi, I'm rather new to this, I have an unconditional offer for psychology at Manchester met, at college I didn't study psychology A level I did a BTEC with a little bit of psychology. I'm just wondering if anyone could help me with what I need to know so that I'm not as far behind? Any help would be great thanks :smile:

First year psychology is typically a mix of research methods, statistics, cognitive psych (e.g. memory, language, attention), biological psych, learning theory and mental health :smile:
Don't panic as I guarantee that you won't be far behind. More people than you'd probably expect will be starting the degree with no previous knowledge. What you will be taught will vary greatly between the unis so I wouldn't worry too much before hand. As long as you are willing to learn you'll pick it all up :smile:

I studied psychology before I started my degree and those who had no previous knowledge actually found it easier! (You can be taught many bad habbits/too simple versions of things at A level psychology)

Quick Reply

Latest