The Student Room Group

Does the contraceptive implant mess up/stop you periods?

I'm considering getting the contraceptive implant in the future, but i'm worried that it will make my periods irregular. Although i HATE periods i like having them regularly so i can be reassured that im not pregnant (even tho i always use condoms, im paranoid of the small chance i still have of getting pregnant)
I wouldn't advise the implant. For some people, it stops periods altogether, but I've heard of people bleeding for months on it and having really irregular periods on it.

On any hormonal contraception, you won't have "periods" but withdrawal bleeds (if you bleed at all) but missing a withdrawal bleed is still an indication of pregnancy. If you want natural periods, your options are condoms or the copper coil

Otherwise, there's the pill, if you're worried about remembering it, I'd consider the patch or ring, which you change weekly rather than having to take regularly every day. Anything more long term, such as injections, implants or the hormonal coil, has the potential to mess up your periods, but that doesn't mean that it definitely will.
Reply 2
My friend's sister has the implant and hers completely stopped, but I've heard of other women reacting differently to it.
Reply 3
I think it depends on the type of person you are- i would definitely forget to take the pill which is why the implant is great for me- you don't even have to think about contraception for 3 years. You'll never know how you'll react until you try it.
People react in totally different ways to the implant - it totally just depends on your body. When I had the implant, it totally stopped my periods for a year and then my period started, and didn't stop for 3 months which prompted me to take it out and start using the pill instead. But having said that, if it agrees with your body, it has the pretty major advantage of providing you with 3 years worry free contraception :smile:
My periods were very very painful and heavy for the first 2 months, and lasted about 3 weeks each, but then I didn't have one at all for about 9 months which was worrying at first but then you realise you are twice as protected as you have your implant as well as using a condom. I found that for the first 7-8 months I was really stroppy all the time and my spots got worse, the main downside is that I've put on A LOT of weight :/ but after a year now I am really really happy with it as I still haven't had another period :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
My periods were very very painful and heavy for the first 2 months, and lasted about 3 weeks each, but then I didn't have one at all for about 9 months which was worrying at first but then you realise you are twice as protected as you have your implant as well as using a condom. I found that for the first 7-8 months I was really stroppy all the time and my spots got worse, the main downside is that I've put on A LOT of weight :/ but after a year now I am really really happy with it as I still haven't had another period :biggrin:

What did you take to regulate your periods since they were so long? Cos mine are really long but im not even on the implant or taking pills. What were your periods like before you took the implant if you dont mind me asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
As said people react differently my periods on the pill were horrible, heavy & painful. I switched to the implant after 4 years and I hardly have periods I had it put in in december and since then I've had about 3 light periods lasting about a day so I don't think you can even call them periods
It really depends on the person. It was horrible for me, but I would recommend trying it to be honest. If it works for you, it's great! You could always try the injection first? I was told by my nurse that there wasn't much point in me using the injection after having my implant out as it was very similar and would likely have the same effect.
Original post by Ieatpeasalot
What did you take to regulate your periods since they were so long? Cos mine are really long but im not even on the implant or taking pills. What were your periods like before you took the implant if you dont mind me asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't use anything, I was busy with exams so I just put up with it :/ and they were quite heavy but didn't last more than 5 days, so it was quite a change at first :') I was very anaemic before I got it, which is one of the reasons I wanted to try it, apart from contraception, as I had heard it can often stop your periods, and so it has really helped and I'm a lot better now :smile: just a thought, since yours are long you might have a similar problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had the implant for about a year now, and for the first two months I didn't come on at all then I had light bleeding for a couple of months then after my operation I was on for two more months until I went on the pill to "restart the implant" as people would say, I've had about one bleed since November and little spotting now and again. So it's gonna depend on your body, stress can actually sometimes make it heavier, I know two girls who were on the implant and was on their period for months. So yeah it's dependant on the body

Quick Reply

Latest