The Student Room Group

Why did you and an ex break up? any regrets?

Scroll to see replies

Long term relationship, 19th July 2004-11th March 2011.
We lived together for 6 months after finding a good place that suited our budget. I got poorly and became a financial burden of sorts. We had a up and down relationship which got complicated with a friendship circle that we found didn't work well together with our relationship towards the end. I am no longer friends with the person concerned that later told me she was possibly to blame for our break up. I found my insecurities she had made in our friendship, was reflected with my relationship with my ex. I miss him, and wish him all the best to this day and that one day we can be friends again as we have mutual friends where its likely that we will meet again. You would have to ask him if he regretted ending things with us, but I do wish that I had ended my friendship with this toxic friend that manipulated situations to suit her and get into my head with things that weren't an issue as I had resolved feelings of dislike of my ex's friends and any insecurities of their potential threat of me in my relationship with my ex. I wish my ex would hear me out as to why I reacted the night he ended things with us.
I am happily single presently and finally enjoying my own company for the first time. I wish my ex the best of luck in the world, with whatever he puts his mind to.
Reply 61
We were arguing too much and she ended up speaking to someone else.
So I just abandoned ship, went to festivals throughout the summer and turned back into a lad!
Best summer of my life!
Probably cause I was a bit of a *unt.
Because he couldn't deal with the fact that I have to go on a year abroad next academic year, and wasn't ready for a 'real' relationship.

So regrets.. for me, the fact it's over? But once I get over that it should be ok :smile: We're still friends.
Reply 64
1st - lasted around 10 months- he would flip out and loose his temper alot of the time (problems at home and that) usually I could calm him down quickly but towards the end I was getting tired of it so we mutually broke up as he decided to move away.

2nd - lasted 2 years - we just drifted apart and realised although we still loved each other it was becoming strained. So we went cold turkey on each other. After a yr got talking again. He's now my closest friend and wouldn't change him for anything! Is like a very protective older brother :smile:

3rd - lasted a yr - but wished I'd ended it sooner as it was really awkward in the sense that I really didn't like him enough and realised I wasn't happy. Things just progressed too fast and I felt I was leading him on so o stopped it. We're civil but don't talk if we can help it

Posted from TSR Mobile
The distance I think, oh that and the fact that I kept pushing him away (personal reasons) but it's not all my fault he said he'd support me when I was gonna be admitted into hospital and he wasn't, he just left, this was last year.
We've put all that behind us and we're best friends now and I'm in another relationship :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
he used me and played me and another girl off against each other for about a year. I realised I was better than that.
"She was your friends for 4 year's"? You mean she was a friends girlfriend for 4 year's? :confused:
Reply 68
We disagreed on a lot of things, she was hanging around with a lot of older people and experimenting with drugs. Decided to end it and start hitting the gym to keep my mind off it. Got in really good shape and met a ton of different girls and currently happy in a relationship! Every cloud...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just realised he wasn't the one I guess, I didn't want to waste his time trying to find "that spark" again..no regrets..I'm single and happy..he's in love again :smile:
I moved town and idk what happened to me i turned cold and told him it wasnt gonna work anymore..Now I regret it immensely because i didn't realise what i had.. imyb
Lasted around 2 years, had an 'interest' for 3 years, I guess we just grew apart and had different opinions in how we treat each other. Regret breaking up over text - silly disagreement. 2 months later he had moved on and i had to deal with health issues which was on going from the previous year. I don't regret the break up at all it wasn't working and prob shouldn't have let myself be walked over for so long :smile: Just really awkward now because he is in my friendship group and there is just those constant digs :s-smilie:
I had a ex was the daughter of one of my teachers. Broke up because I thought he was going to end up burying me in a landfill somewhere. Needless to say he didn't approve.
Other people. At least she says. She was jealous of my ex. Also because of her faith. Things we did she felt guilty about. Plus she's a bit nuts and has had 5 boyfriends since we split up in December.
Original post by desdemonata
As I said in my edited post, we weren't actually together. Hence the asking him to commit (which I asked because he had gotten with other people). If we had been, due to the circumstances, I wouldn't have met the person I fell for. As is, I realised who my mind was on and cut things off with my ex.

Actually it wouldn't be about being female. It would be about being a douche.

Im not trying to throw you under the bus here but... if you didnt feel the same anymore and your heart wasnt in it as you said, why would you want him to commit?
1. I lost interest
2. I lost interest
3. I lost interest
4. Cheated
5. Moved away
Original post by Bipolarb3ar
Im not trying to throw you under the bus here but... if you didnt feel the same anymore and your heart wasnt in it as you said, why would you want him to commit?

I did initially want him to commit for some security. It wasn't a big deal in my mind, I just wanted to know he wasn't going around with other girls. It took me an embarrassing month or so to realise what a mistake I'd made getting back into contact. In a way I had been reluctant to let go because he was my first boyfriend and we had been together for years, and I had known him even longer. So I deluded myself into thinking that not only would things "fix" and I'd feel about him like I did, but that also we even worked as a couple. Which we really didn't.
Because I was a bitch and I wanted to go out with my friends. Yeah I'm not proud of that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 78
Original post by Anonymous
Other people. At least she says. She was jealous of my ex. Also because of her faith. Things we did she felt guilty about. Plus she's a bit nuts and has had 5 boyfriends since we split up in December.

ohh that doesn't sound good. Probably best being out of that then
I don't even know (I know, how lame is that?)
He chased me and said all the usual "you're perfect/amazing" etc, and suddenly met up with me saying he "didn't think it was working out". We'd only dated 2 and a half months. At the time I'd moved out down my nan's because I was having trouble at home and maybe he thought I was a problem or issue ridden individual. However, my sister's boyfriend's mum knows my ex's mum, and she said she is pushy etc, and it's possible he was discouraged (or forced not) to date until he'd done his exams (he broke up with me 2 weeks before exams started).
Ahhh well, still confused 2 months on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply