The Student Room Group

Did i mess up my Tesco Interview?

Hi had my interview yesterday, as far as questions go i think i answered them pretty well. The problem came when availability was discussed, i told the manager that i was free over the summer to work pretty much whenever, however when i go back to do my 3rd year of uni in September/October i wouldnt be as available. The manager seemed determined that i be able to work at 5:30am which i said i would but only during the holidays.At this point the manager seemed a bit flat, like i probably wouldnt get the job.

Should i have kept quiet about going back to uni and just got the job and waited till the time came to go back to uni to discuss hours? I was planning to but i thought to myself i only had 2 months untill i go back to uni and didnt want to appear like i was hiding going back to uni?

Sorry for the long post, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Yea you should have kept it quiet. From what you write, the manager seemed to come across as lacking hours to accommodate your availability during uni. Remember, it takes a few months to fully train you (meaning you won't even be fully trained by the time uni starts - in their opinion). You weren't hiding anything. It's better to have a job for 2 months than none at all.

But who knows, they might have really liked your interview/thought everyone else was bad and still hire you.
Original post by Faisal_R
Hi had my interview yesterday, as far as questions go i think i answered them pretty well. The problem came when availability was discussed, i told the manager that i was free over the summer to work pretty much whenever, however when i go back to do my 3rd year of uni in September/October i wouldnt be as available. The manager seemed determined that i be able to work at 5:30am which i said i would but only during the holidays.At this point the manager seemed a bit flat, like i probably wouldnt get the job.

Should i have kept quiet about going back to uni and just got the job and waited till the time came to go back to uni to discuss hours? I was planning to but i thought to myself i only had 2 months untill i go back to uni and didnt want to appear like i was hiding going back to uni?

Sorry for the long post, thanks :smile:

Next time don't say you're going to uni. I never employ anypne that says they're going back to uni in a couple of months. But if they hid it and told me closer to the time that they were going then I wouldn't be angry because I'd do the same.
Reply 3
They where probably looking for people to fill in the summer shifts, I work at Tesco and I know my manager was in quick need of people to do the shifts and then it dies down in Winter, less hours. I don't know about that, from my perspective even if you didn't tell them it would have come up sooner of later and if you lie about your education it doesn't show any honesty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending