The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Black Students @ Hull

Due to unforeseen circumstance I've had to change uni I just wanted to know if there are any 1st years who are black that will be attending hull university this year. Not racist just want to know as its too late to visit as students are gone also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Loads of ethnic people at Hull - I never struggled to meet anyone from any backgrounds whilst there..
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by gloria28
Due to unforeseen circumstance I've had to change uni I just wanted to know if there are any 1st years who are black that will be attending hull university this year. Not racist just want to know as its too late to visit as students are gone also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey !!! I'm black and thinking of applying to Hull University ( well it's more of a back up option in case I miss my offer ) so yeah you are alone :smile:
Reply 3
Oh okay then this has now become my 1st option

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by frankieh20
Hey !!! I'm black and thinking of applying to Hull University ( well it's more of a back up option in case I miss my offer ) so yeah you are alone :smile:

What you looking to study

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What you looking to study

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, sorry just saw this ! I'm hoping to apply for sociology *fingers crossed* and yourself ?
Reply 6
Original post by frankieh20
Hey, sorry just saw this ! I'm hoping to apply for sociology *fingers crossed* and yourself ?

Looking to do criminolgy and sociology, well if you come down make sure you holla

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey

Yes there are black students in Hull and I'm going into my 2nd year (Yh I am black student). There is significant proportion black students and from other ethnic minorities. At first when you arrive on the campus its seem a bit foreign and weird but during fresher week you will encounter a lot of people and social events that will be going on. You can join the ACS and BAME society to meet other students from other minority backgrounds. Also just try new things when your in Hull. I hope you settle into Hull very well :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by dami20
Hey

Yes there are black students in Hull and I'm going into my 2nd year (Yh I am black student). There is significant proportion black students and from other ethnic minorities. At first when you arrive on the campus its seem a bit foreign and weird but during fresher week you will encounter a lot of people and social events that will be going on. You can join the ACS and BAME society to meet other students from other minority backgrounds. Also just try new things when your in Hull. I hope you settle into Hull very well :smile:

Thanks and what is bame

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks and what is bame

Posted from TSR Mobile

Black and Minority Ethic society
Reply 10
Original post by dami20
Hey

What is ACS like? Is it more cultural/educational or a social thing? I'll be studying at Hull this sept as first year. Plus I can see that you are Nigerian, I heard Nigerians Nigerians in the Nigerian society are snobby? As in the Nigerian born Nigerians.
Reply 11
Original post by Ebuwa
What is ACS like? Is it more cultural/educational or a social thing? I'll be studying at Hull this sept as first year. Plus I can see that you are Nigerian, I heard Nigerians Nigerians in the Nigerian society are snobby? As in the Nigerian born Nigerians.

Well from what I've seen the majority of black students in hull are Nigerian international students. So the acs is practically the Nigerian society as a non nigerian I just hope they are very welcoming in general. And for your sake as a Nigerian that they are accepting, acs is meant to be and educational as well as social thing all other acs have released their dates for events just not hull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Well from what I've seen the majority of black students in hull are Nigerian international students. So the acs is practically the Nigerian society as a non nigerian I just hope they are very welcoming in general. And for your sake as a Nigerian that they are accepting, acs is meant to be and educational as well as social thing all other acs have released their dates for events just not hull.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if there are any Caribbeans? Looking a bit lonely on that front! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by sherace
Do you know if there are any Caribbeans? Looking a bit lonely on that front! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friends sister went there and said they are welcoming. I think maybe one or two were snobby to her.
Plus I doubt there is a carib society as carib numbers are small.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9oyYUItBSI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Reply 14
My sister attend a uni near by and sed they are friendly but learn to adapt to their ways and get use to them talking in their own language when saying a joke. To be honest I don't think there is even that a handful of Caribbean's in the ACS maybe their just not into joining societies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
My sister attend a uni near by and sed they are friendly but learn to adapt to their ways and get use to them talking in their own language when saying a joke. To be honest I don't think there is even that a handful of Caribbean's in the ACS maybe their just not into joining societies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omygosh! I hope that changes this year, and more carribeans join! I hope everyone's very inclusive! *fingers crossed*
Do u have any idea how big the society is?
Reply 16
Original post by sherace
Omygosh! I hope that changes this year, and more carribeans join! I hope everyone's very inclusive! *fingers crossed*
Do u have any idea how big the society is?

Loool it's a good medium size judging from past pictures but obviously don't know the turn out this year. Only off putting this is that even the acs leader is spending freshers elsewhere that says a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Loool it's a good medium size judging from past pictures but obviously don't know the turn out this year. Only off putting this is that even the acs leader is spending freshers elsewhere that says a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loool, well that's dodgy! Shouldn't they be signing up freshers?
Medium sized? Well thank goodness for that! Initially, I envisioned like 15 people loool!

And what accommodation did you get?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by sherace
Loool, well that's dodgy! Shouldn't they be signing up freshers?
Medium sized? Well thank goodness for that! Initially, I envisioned like 15 people loool!

And what accommodation did you get?

well they should be doing events all other acs have already planned at least five events. i had to go with head leasing as i applied through clearing what about you ?
Reply 19
well they should be doing events all other acs have already planned at least five events. i had to go with head leasing as i applied through clearing what about you ?

I expected events to be planned as well!

I went through clearing too, but on Friday 16th I actually made the journey up there to go look arounds (aaages from London. Died like 4 times). And I filled in the accommodation form by hand. So I got into Needler Hall. But tbh, it doesn't sound that great. And the building is really ugly. But at least the rooms are biggish, so all my stuff will fit. And its one of the smaller halls, so should be a cosy environment.

How far is you property away from uni? Is it a walkable distance? I wish mine was closer, when I took the bus there, it was like 15mins, so definitely not walkable.

Quick Reply

Latest