The Student Room Group

Does he like me, or are we just good friends?

I know that you might not be able to tell just from my post, I was just curious to see what others would think :smile:. I've just been thinking about him a lot over the past few weeks!

I really like this guy I share a few classes with at uni. We get on well but I'm never really sure of the signs to look for and whether he's just being friendly and considers me a good friend or whether he actually likes me the way I like him...

He looks at me a lot, which I guess is a good thing. A few months ago a few people from my class including him decided to get a drink at the local students union. We were there for about two hours and he talked to others for about half an hour but for the remaining time he sat next to me and as we both enjoy books we just talked about what we were reading and it felt as though no one else was in the room and we didn't take any notice of anyone else (which looking back on it seems kind of rude, but there were lots of people there). We tease each other often and whenever there's contact it always seems to be lingering.

I'm just never really sure of the signs to look for. I would ask him out but I'd want to have a pretty good idea first, because I have a few classes with him in the coming year and I feel like it would be awkward if he just liked me as a friend.

Guys - How differently do you treat the women you fancy to the women who you just see as friends? Would you give them all your attention above anyone else for the majority of the time you were out with others?

Reply 1
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 2
ask him out as it's clear he feels the same way about you just the fact he spent an hour and a half just talking to you says that he is interested (rather than walking away after a few mins)
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses so far both :smile:. I'm going to meet him on saturday for a few drinks so maybe something will happen then? I think someone commented on us spending a lot of time together that night and he blushed and said 'I just like books', ha!

It's helpful to get a male's perspective on these things.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I know that you might not be able to tell just from my post, I was just curious to see what others would think :smile:. I've just been thinking about him a lot over the past few weeks!

I really like this guy I share a few classes with at uni. We get on well but I'm never really sure of the signs to look for and whether he's just being friendly and considers me a good friend or whether he actually likes me the way I like him...

He looks at me a lot, which I guess is a good thing. A few months ago a few people from my class including him decided to get a drink at the local students union. We were there for about two hours and he talked to others for about half an hour but for the remaining time he sat next to me and as we both enjoy books we just talked about what we were reading and it felt as though no one else was in the room and we didn't take any notice of anyone else (which looking back on it seems kind of rude, but there were lots of people there). We tease each other often and whenever there's contact it always seems to be lingering.

I'm just never really sure of the signs to look for. I would ask him out but I'd want to have a pretty good idea first, because I have a few classes with him in the coming year and I feel like it would be awkward if he just liked me as a friend.

Guys - How differently do you treat the women you fancy to the women who you just see as friends? Would you give them all your attention above anyone else for the majority of the time you were out with others?

I would say flirting is Universal, however you may be reading into signs a little bit, it's hard to tell unless we see it, but from your information there's definitely something there. The problem is if you wait too long you will automatically friend-zone eachother.

If you feel like you have lots of things in common, contact lingers, etc then those are obvious signs, you should ask him out on a date. Your options are literally asking him out on a date, or specifying something that implies it's a date like "Hey I have two tickets to see...x, would you like to come with me?" Is always a winner.
Reply 5
My God does he like you. Ask him out casually

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks for the responses so far both :smile:. I'm going to meet him on saturday for a few drinks so maybe something will happen then? I think someone commented on us spending a lot of time together that night and he blushed and said 'I just like books', ha!

It's helpful to get a male's perspective on these things.

Let us know how things go
Reply 7
Hey thanks everyone. I'm not even sure if he likes me now...We get on so well and seem to have good chemistry, and then of course like I said, when we go out he seems to spend a lot of the time talking to me.

However, I saw him yesterday walking around with another girl...Could be just a friend or whatever, and I know it makes me sound pretty obsessed but it kind of knocked my confidence. She was beautiful and I completely pale in comparison and he'd definitely choose her over me any day. I don't know if they're going out or anything...as far as I knew he was single but that could have changed and as I said, she may have just been a friend.

It turns out he's not going out tomorrow too...Which knocked my confidence a bit. If he really liked me and he knew that I was coming would he not have made an effort to come? He just told me that he wanted to relax instead...

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this but I'm going to start looking elsewhere...
Reply 8
Hey thanks everyone. I'm not even sure if he likes me now...We get on so well and seem to have good chemistry, and then of course like I said, when we go out he seems to spend a lot of the time talking to me.

However, I saw him yesterday walking around with another girl...Could be just a friend or whatever, and I know it makes me sound pretty obsessed but it kind of knocked my confidence. She was beautiful and I completely pale in comparison and he'd definitely choose her over me any day. I don't know if they're going out or anything...as far as I knew he was single but that could have changed and as I said, she may have just been a friend.

It turns out he's not going out tomorrow too...Which knocked my confidence a bit. If he really liked me and he knew that I was coming would he not have made an effort to come? He just told me that he wanted to relax instead...

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this but I'm going to start looking elsewhere...

None of it means anything, telling him how you feel is the only way to know.
Reply 9
Original post by skribble
None of it means anything, telling him how you feel is the only way to know.

Thank you :smile:. Sometimes I feel like it's easier just to move on instead of admitting to him that I like him, but you're right in that I shouldn't be running away from things and should instead face them.
Reply 10
Thank you :smile:. Sometimes I feel like it's easier just to move on instead of admitting to him that I like him, but you're right in that I shouldn't be running away from things and should instead face them.

Yeah definitely, its hard :smile:

But at least you can have your answer for definite either way and move on cleanly if it doesn't work out.
For your own good, find out. Living with the 'what ifs' is very hard. You're better off knowing, even if it be that he has no interest whatsoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending