The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

What is your opinion on OU courses?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tilly Seargeant
Well if you do something theoretical like the mathematics and physics course then it's fine.

This was what I was thinking. I'm doing the physics pathway in October and although I would rather go to a brick uni (I can't right now for personal reasons), I'm not too worried as I've heard a lot of universities do accept OU science degrees. If they accept them then it can't be that bad.

I've seen labs advertised that want people for an apprentice like scheme that gives lab experience for people who are studying at degree level.
(edited 10 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 61
Original post by bon_voyage
Try to be honest with yourself. One module one-week-residential school.
How can it be compared with those who spend 5-8 hours every week during three years in a lab? Science is very competitive.

No it doesn't compare but then I guess employer expect OU students to gain practical experience in other ways. Probably helps if you're a mechanic or a lab technician.
Reply 62
Original post by louise6427
This was what I was thinking. I'm doing the physics pathway in October and although I would rather go to a brick uni (I can't right now for personal reasons), I'm not too worried as I've heard a lot of universites do accept OU science degrees. If they accept them then it can't be that bad.

Are you doing the natural science physics pathway or the mathematics and physics one?

I think they're pretty well respected, and I can't wait to do one. I have 2 years still, and I actually can't wait!
This was what I was thinking. I'm doing the physics pathway in October and although I would rather go to a brick uni (I can't right now for personal reasons), I'm not too worried as I've heard a lot of universites do accept OU science degrees. If they accept them then it can't be that bad.

I wish you good luck. If you made your mind, do it. And proceed to your goal, what I wanted to say - consider it thoroughly all advantages and disadvantage. Good luck!
Reply 64

I think it's more of an issue if you're going straight from the BSc into work. If you've done limited practical work and had no relevant work experience then things could be tough. Having said that I know fellow science students who were offered interviews for science related jobs (not graduate level) mid way through their first major module.
Studying in Germany and in Spain is not that expensive as in the UK. Apply to German or Spanish Universities directly, go to study there and take your OU books with you.

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. The OU does not have any Erasmus or Socrates exchanges so if an OU student did organise an independent exchange with a foreign university (assuming its possible, which I don't think it is), they would be liable to pay fees, and they would receive no funding or EU grants for living costs.

Original post by Nitebot
It would be interesting to know how well received OU language students are by employers.

Hard to say, I personally don't rate the degree very highly because it focuses entirely on spoken language, vocabulary and grammar. There is hardly any cultural content, no history, literature, linguistics etc. I'd be interested to know what level of proficiency can be gained through an OU language degree.
Original post by Samual
I'm pretty sure you can't do that. The OU does not have any Erasmus or Socrates exchanges so if an OU student did organise an independent exchange with a foreign university (assuming its possible, which I don't think it is), they would be liable to pay fees, and they would receive no funding or EU grants for living costs.

Hard to say, I personally don't rate the degree very highly because it focuses entirely on spoken language, vocabulary and grammar. There is hardly any cultural content, no history, literature, linguistics etc. I'd be interested to know what level of proficiency can be gained through an OU language degree.

Maybe I surprise you but undergraduate studies in Germany will cost you from 0 to 600 Euro (maximum) per term. The student pays per term, not per course. It is not that expensive as in the UK.

You have to pass German language test (either DHS or testDAF), your A-levels matter and possibly you have to pass the admission interview.
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
Are you doing the natural science physics pathway or the mathematics and physics one?

I think they're pretty well respected, and I can't wait to do one. I have 2 years still, and I actually can't wait!

I'm doing the natural science physics pathway. I can't wait either, I've been studying physics since I was about 14 so I'm really excited to actually start the degree.
Reply 68
I'm doing the natural science physics pathway. I can't wait either, I've been studying physics since I was about 14 so I'm really excited to actually start the degree.

Physics is my favourite subject, and for me, I adore theoretical physics, so for me open uni works. Plus you have much less fees to worry about, and can have a job alongside it. For me there is no doubt in my mind, no matter what some people say. :smile:

I want to do the maths and physics pathway though.
I wish you good luck. If you made your mind, do it. And proceed to your goal, what I wanted to say - consider it thoroughly all advantages and disadvantage. Good luck!

Thank you!

I get what your saying, I worried about it too but I've done my research and know its not as hard as people might think to carry on studies with a brick uni.
Maybe I surprise you but undergraduate studies in Germany will cost you from 0 to 600 Euro (maximum) per term. The student pays per term, not per course. It is not that expensive as in the UK.

You have to pass German language test (either DHS or testDAF), your A-levels matter and possibly you have to pass the admission interview.

Tuition fees aren't the problem, the cost of living is high and without some sort of grant it wouldn't be possible. It'd be different if you knew someone in the country who you could live with but most people don't have that luxury.
Reply 71
Original post by Spinnerette
You can email your tutors all the time or attend the tutorials if you wish, they are usually four hours long or a day school on Saturdays. It is a lot of independent learning that you will have to have the discipline to do yourself x. And depending on the subject depends on whether you have tutorials or if they are required to pass. You have to really be strict with your time and discipline yourself.

what modules still have face-to-face tutorial? never heard them being needed to pass the module.
Original post by Samual

For me, this is a selling point!

I might possibly decide to attempt to switch to the University of Reading's part-time language BA after my first lot of credits but Reading demands that undergraduates spend two months abroad studying in the target country.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
This was what I was thinking. I'm doing the physics pathway in October and although I would rather go to a brick uni (I can't right now for personal reasons), I'm not too worried as I've heard a lot of universities do accept OU science degrees. If they accept them then it can't be that bad.

I've seen labs advertised that want people for an apprentice like scheme that gives lab experience for people who are studying at degree level.

Got a link to that ?
Original post by mug2k
Got a link to that ?

Here's one that asks for beginners http://www.gsk.com/uk/careers/apprenticeships/science-apprenticeships.html

Here's another one but don't know too much about this one http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Types-of-Apprenticeships/Engineering-and-Manufacturing-Technologies/Laboratory-Technicians.aspx

There are loads that I've heard about because I know someone who's an employment coach and she hears of loads of these kinds of things at different levels for different sciences.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by mug2k
Got a link to that ?

If you check the OU's career (sciences) pages, there's a big section on how to get practical experience for the sciences. Includes interviews with employers who can offer it.
Reply 76
Original post by Nitebot
If you check the OU's career (sciences) pages, there's a big section on how to get practical experience for the sciences. Includes interviews with employers who can offer it.

Ooh thank you for that. I will look into it :wink:
Reply 77
Here's one that asks for beginners http://www.gsk.com/uk/careers/apprenticeships/science-apprenticeships.html

Here's another one but don't know too much about this one http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Types-of-Apprenticeships/Engineering-and-Manufacturing-Technologies/Laboratory-Technicians.aspx

There are loads that I've heard about because I know someone who's an employment coach and she hears of loads of these kinds of things at different levels for different sciences.

Original post by Nitebot

Thanks guys much appreciated, even if I can't get a job straight away at least there are options for gaining experience.
Reply 78
Hi I was planning to study with OU this year but due to financial reasons, I am going to have to go to college instead and hopefully start my OU degree next year is it ok to cancel your registration before you receive your books and everything thru? I have sent away SAAS forms and my registration agreement but haven't heard anything back for weeks.
Also, if I get a student loan by doing HNC at college this year, will that affect my part time fee grant if apply to OU next year?
Thanks
But don't some courses offer residential school? Don't know exactly what you'll do though.

Like someone else said, you can make up for it by doing masters and I know a lot of brick uni do accept OU degrees in science.

The OU have started to withdraw alot of their resi schools as a cost saving measure. This is one area where which causes a lot of debate and frustration.

Quick Reply

Latest