The Student Room Group

Working at Tesco's - Cashier, I have a few questions, please help.

Hello,

I've never had a job before because of my education so this is my first job. I'm a cashier at Tesco, it's an express store. I've already done my test run on the till but unfortunately they did not get time to help me with everything I need to know.

I'm worried about asking my manager because even though it will be my first job and first shift I don't want to look incapable and slow.

If I ask they won't judge against me will they?

Questions:

1) How do you use the lotto machine?
2) In terms of serving alcohol, can you serve to someone with ID if they have a friend next to them that looks younger?

I'm just somewhat unclear on the rules of this think 25 policy, I've been told chocolate liqueur can be given to people of 16 years but would I have to ID them for it as well? and can you ID anyone buying alcohol within reason if you are unsure?

Thank you in advance, most of this is probably my nerves getting the better of me.
Reply 1
I worked at tesco in 2011 for a year it was a bigger store but same principles, you're new to the store so they won't judge you if you ask for help. We all need help at times right ? :smile: as for the lotto machine its difficult to explain online so i'd just ask someone that you work with to explain it (as soon as you see it done you get the hang of it). When serving alcohol if they are at the till with friends regardless of whose buying we were told to ID all of them (unless it a teen shopping with parents or similar situation) and if it has a age restriction on the product and the person looks under 21/25 depending on the product you have to ID them.

And make sure you check the ID thoroughly also if you're unsure about a persons age ID them just to make sure it comes back on you if you serve to someone underage.

It probably is your nerves getting the best of you but just remember they hired you so must think you are right for the job :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending