The Student Room Group

Nursing degree

How does the results of Nursing degrees work? Is it like every other degree 1st, 2:1, 2:2 etc? Or...? Can someone help me out!
Reply 1
Yes. It's based 50% on getting competences signed which is pass or fail then the theory side is the same as normal degrees
Original post by Soph.Jade
Yes. It's based 50% on getting competences signed which is pass or fail then the theory side is the same as normal degrees

What do you mean getting competences signed? And what do you need to get an overall pass? Btw are you a nursing student? And do you know what grade you need eg 2:1, 2:2 etc to be eligible for the NMC registration?
Reply 3
Original post by needsomeadvice12
What do you mean getting competences signed? And what do you need to get an overall pass? Btw are you a nursing student? And do you know what grade you need eg 2:1, 2:2 etc to be eligible for the NMC registration?

Nursing courses are split 50/50 between university study and practice placements. Placements are a pass or fail thing, depending on how you perform. You should have a book of competencies to meet which tie into that placement. They're usually linked to the module you've just done at university, for example you may do a placement in a critical care environment following the critical care module.

To be eligible to register with the NMC you need to pass your course overall, along with this your course director will fill out a declaration of good health and character to the NMC stating you are eligible to become a registered nurse. Generally, your grade from your course doesn't have any effect on applying for jobs, it's more about how good your application is, how you are in the interview and that you are a registered nurse.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
Nursing courses are split 50/50 between university study and practice placements. Placements are a pass or fail thing, depending on how you perform. You should have a book of competencies to meet which tie into that placement. They're usually linked to the module you've just done at university, for example you may do a placement in a critical care environment following the critical care module.

To be eligible to register with the NMC you need to pass your course overall, along with this your course director will fill out a declaration of good health and character to the NMC stating you are eligible to become a registered nurse. Generally, your grade from your course doesn't have any effect on applying for jobs, it's more about how good your application is, how you are in the interview and that you are a registered nurse.

thank you. Are you a nursing student?
Reply 5
thank you. Are you a nursing student?

No. I'm a registered nurse.
Original post by moonkatt
No. I'm a registered nurse.

Oh cool.. Did you do a degree or diploma in nursing? And what kind of experience did you have before applying? What courses did you do at college to get in to Uni?
Reply 7
Oh cool.. Did you do a degree or diploma in nursing? And what kind of experience did you have before applying? What courses did you do at college to get in to Uni?

Hi, I did the diploma, I was going to do an access course and apply for the degree however managed to get accepted onto a course with my grades that I had anyway. I had no healthcare experience but a wealth of life experience from being in the armed forces. I think the year I applied they were struggling to fill their course up due to there being bad press about jobs in the NHS.

However that was a few years ago now. It's quite competitive to get into nursing at the moment, my advice to you would be to try and get as much relevant experience as possible, theres loads of advice on the forum about it, try and tailor it depending on the branch of nursing you want to apply to.

Quick Reply

Latest