The Student Room Group
RMIM
1.Lithium aluminium hydride,
2.lithium tetrahydridoaluminate(III)
3.LiAlH4

Are the above all the same thing? Do they all react in the same way?

All I see is is [H] e.g
CH3 COOH + 4H -----> CH3 CH2OH + H2O

Please tell me I can treat all 3 as just [H].

Thanks.
(The above is topic 4.5 bii. edexcel)

Yh, they're all the same thing. You can treat them as [H] since it's a reducing agent.
Reply 2
RMIM
1.Lithium aluminium hydride,
2.lithium tetrahydridoaluminate(III)
3.LiAlH4

Yup, all the same :smile:
Reply 3
WHY IS YOUR TEXT SO SMALL? And yes all the same and use [H]
Reply 4
Prometheus
WHY IS YOUR TEXT SO SMALL? And yes all the same and use [H]

It messes up sometimes when you copy paste. It was originally too big, so made it small. But it does not look small on firefox. Hope it's normal now.

So you all say it's the same, do you mean identical in everyway (formula?) or identical in action (as in reducing agent) - just wondered why they would bother to write out 3 ways of saying the same thing, on the same line of the syllabus.

For example 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine is 2,4-DNPH, I would say they r the same thing, 2nd is an abbreviation of the 1st
Reply 5
whats this [H] lark? surely they provide :h:-?
Reply 6
...I thought it was 2,4-DNP?
Reply 7
caramel_qt3
...I thought it was 2,4-DNP?

Well that's yet another way of saying the same thing.
O.K (okay) ok?

some say just DNPH

But it can make life confusing if you think it's something different, as I originally thought for the 3 ways of saying LiALH4
Reply 8
RMIM
Well that's is yet another way of saying the same thing.
O.K (okay) ok?

some say just DNPH

But it can make life confusing if you think it's something different, as I originally thought for the 3 was of saying LiALH4

Yeah I know what you mean, but sometimes exam boards can be a bit picky about certain things....which is why I mentioned 2,4-DNP because that's what my teacher has told us to write.
Reply 9
DNPH - that's not fair, we have to write 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine on our exam papers.

Latest