The Student Room Group

Pupillage - if at first you don't succeed, try and try again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Really random question but would appreciate anyone's help on this: how important do you think your hobbies are to an application form. I managed to get 6 first rounds without having terribly adventurous or unusual hobbies.

But ive been advised on a couple of ocasions by mentors to find "intellectually challenging hobbies", - does anyone have a view on this kind of stuff?

Would really appreciate any one's examples or thoughts on hobbies in relation to the bar! :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by thinker18
Really random question but would appreciate anyone's help on this: how important do you think your hobbies are to an application form. I managed to get 6 first rounds without having terribly adventurous or unusual hobbies.

But ive been advised on a couple of ocasions by mentors to find "intellectually challenging hobbies", - does anyone have a view on this kind of stuff?

Would really appreciate any one's examples or thoughts on hobbies in relation to the bar! :smile:

6 First round interviews is good going. I wouldn't be too concerned about hobbies. Things like sport/music/travel are common but honest. If you have got 6 1st round interviews but no/few 2nd rounds I would say that the thing you need to work on before the next round is interview technique; not taking up TT racing! I also think that sets are more likely to be interested in your legal experience so I'd do minis at the sets that you intend to apply to (if you haven't already) and try to gain some advocacy experience with FRU/LPC etc.
Reply 62
Original post by Tixi
6 First round interviews is good going. I wouldn't be too concerned about hobbies. Things like sport/music/travel are common but honest. If you have got 6 1st round interviews but no/few 2nd rounds I would say that the thing you need to work on before the next round is interview technique; not taking up TT racing! I also think that sets are more likely to be interested in your legal experience so I'd do minis at the sets that you intend to apply to (if you haven't already) and try to gain some advocacy experience with FRU/LPC etc.

Thanks again Tixi, I think I will get some mini-pupillages at these places. Might as well earn some brownie points and it will be much easier to talk about why I like them if I do so!!! =)
I have another question Luckypupil - you say that you approached the interviews on the basis that you didn't care anymore. That sounds like a really good approach, it can even work in exams. But in a pupillage interview - I'm assuming that you still managed to show your enthusiasm and formulate structured answers. I find that I struggle to give good, structured answers. Any tips on this? I know the answers probably obvious, but what is your view?

I never consciously had this problem, but I suppose my advice would be;

1. Make 2 strong points rather than 4/5 weaker points.

2. Link to a personal story if possible. i.e. The answer is X, and this reminds me of the time I did Y while volunteering at the local orphanage blah blah

3. Try and ensure that your answers are based on commercial reality. I remember spending 5 hours on a set question I had been given before interview, where the sum of money was something like 2 grand. After answering the question I added that my “real” advice would be not to bother to even instruct a barrister. The money was so small that it would be better to just head to the small claims court and represent yourself given that costs are fixed and that legal fees would outstrip any award.
Wow Luckypupil, that is quite inspiring and I'm really grateful that you shared it! It's a shame that it's a lot of luck, i think that next year, I am going to apply to even more places. What kind of experience did you do overseas, like what did it relate to, before you then undertook some legal experience. Was it volunteering? I would really like to do an overseas internship, helping out in human rights activities. At the moment I am applying to be an adjudicator at the FOS, whilst keeping my eye out for other opportunities...

Just commercial/civil stuff like P.I/contractual disputes. Unless you are doing a human right pupillage (do they even exist?) - i can't see the point in doing a HR internship. (This is just my humble opinion. I'm sure many others found it helpful.) However, I was once asked a ethical question linked to misrep and I only managed to recall the necessary info because I handled a misrep claim while abroad. If you want to do civil work, look for civil placements/internships.
Reply 65
Original post by Luckypupil
Just commercial/civil stuff like P.I/contractual disputes. Unless you are doing a human right pupillage (do they even exist?) - i can't see the point in doing a HR internship. (This is just my humble opinion. I'm sure many others found it helpful.) However, I was once asked a ethical question linked to misrep and I only managed to recall the necessary info because I handled a misrep claim while abroad. If you want to do civil work, look for civil placements/internships.

Thanks so much!! :smile:
Reply 66

I really hope that you don't mind me asking - to get a placement abroad, did you use a recruitment company? I've been looking everywhere for these, they all seem to want experience or the recruitment companies only recruit the top lawyers to do these things.

Human Rights internships do work wonders IMO at family and criminal sets which are progressive and flashy. Coram, 36BR etc. I've been asked about my civil liberties work at all the more left wing family sets.
Original post by travellingbird
Human Rights internships do work wonders IMO at family and criminal sets which are progressive and flashy. Coram, 36BR etc. I've been asked about my civil liberties work at all the more left wing family sets.

Good point. Happy to stand corrected :smile:
I really hope that you don't mind me asking - to get a placement abroad, did you use a recruitment company? I've been looking everywhere for these, they all seem to want experience or the recruitment companies only recruit the top lawyers to do these things.

Sent off speculative CVs direct to firms across the commonwealth promising to work for free. Got lucky with one. Saved money during BPTC year to fund travel. They offered me a full time job afterwards which was very tempting....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 70
Sent off speculative CVs direct to firms across the commonwealth promising to work for free. Got lucky with one. Saved money during BPTC year to fund travel. They offered me a full time job afterwards which was very tempting....

I really admire you for taking an unpaid internship abroad, at the moment I can't afford to do this and wish I had thought ahead like you clearly did!
Hi All,

I got pupillage on my fourth year of applying. I can't remember exactly but I had around 25-30 interviews in total, but very very few second rounders. I eventually got pupillage at a tier one chambers (that had rejected me without interview for each of the previous three years!!!).

A lot of the advice above is brilliant, so I'm not going to add anything, except to really emphasise just how important luck is. I know a small number of people who got loads of offers, and loads and loads of people who got one offer through the reserve system. That's normal. I also know A LOT of people who got pupillage third time around, and a fair few who did on their fourth. And mostly at really good sets too (like one of the other posters I found that not very good sets rejected me without interview all the time!).

The only advice I would give is that if you are getting interviews then the problem is not your form/experience/lack of a shooting starred first from Cambridge, but with how you do interviews.

Also, have a back up plan. Definitely keep on trying, but don't let your cv look too much like you would absolutely hate to be a solicitor. You might need to apply there eventually and it's not quite the piece of cake those hunting for pupillage might think. Particularly when your cv and all your experience makes it obvious you want to be a barrister!!

Good luck! x
Reply 72
Original post by ProBonoQueen
Hi All,

I got pupillage on my fourth year of applying. I can't remember exactly but I had around 25-30 interviews in total, but very very few second rounders. I eventually got pupillage at a tier one chambers (that had rejected me without interview for each of the previous three years!!!).

A lot of the advice above is brilliant, so I'm not going to add anything, except to really emphasise just how important luck is. I know a small number of people who got loads of offers, and loads and loads of people who got one offer through the reserve system. That's normal. I also know A LOT of people who got pupillage third time around, and a fair few who did on their fourth. And mostly at really good sets too (like one of the other posters I found that not very good sets rejected me without interview all the time!).

The only advice I would give is that if you are getting interviews then the problem is not your form/experience/lack of a shooting starred first from Cambridge, but with how you do interviews.

Also, have a back up plan. Definitely keep on trying, but don't let your cv look too much like you would absolutely hate to be a solicitor. You might need to apply there eventually and it's not quite the piece of cake those hunting for pupillage might think. Particularly when your cv and all your experience makes it obvious you want to be a barrister!!

Good luck! x

Hello, this is quite incredible. Congratulations on all your hard work paying off :smile: Can I ask you -

- How did you manage to improve your CV every year? What type of work did you do?

- I always wondered - when applying to the same sets again the next year, where you did get interviewed, how did you change your forms? Did you change everything or leave some things the same?
Hello, this is quite incredible. Congratulations on all your hard work paying off :smile: Can I ask you -

- How did you manage to improve your CV every year? What type of work did you do?

- I always wondered - when applying to the same sets again the next year, where you did get interviewed, how did you change your forms? Did you change everything or leave some things the same?

hmm first I tried to apply to different places every year, but it was difficult. I wanted to do employment and PI in London and unfortunately that involved a fair bit of repetition in applications. I'm sure my CV improved every year, particularly between the 3rd and the 4th I was a bit stuck for extra things to do. However I did:
* a part time LLM at LSE
* loads of pro bono (seriously loads - quite a few appellate employment cases before high court judges, and advocacy for different charities spanning employment, social security, and different types of education law)
* carried on with mooting, mini-pupillages etc
* managed to get jobs which involved advocacy throughout

As I said luck plays such a huge role. I do feel I was very very unlucky not to get it sooner. It was galling watching people getting interviews and offers every year thinking "I just know I'm better than they are"! And I was right!

Sorry, important typo in my original response: should be "i'm not sure my cv did improve every year". Perhaps between 1st and 2nd and a bit between 2nd and 3rd, but I don't really think that was my problem. Interviews seemed to let me down quite a bit.

Also, I didn't fundamentally change my form year on year, because, essentially I'm not anything was really wrong.

One thing I did do, when I got fed up with people not so good as I getting interviews and offers, was to ask people to see their forms to see where I'd gone wrong. Generally, when people have pupillage in the bag, they are happy to share. I'd defo recommend that.
Reply 75
Sorry, important typo in my original response: should be "i'm not sure my cv did improve every year". Perhaps between 1st and 2nd and a bit between 2nd and 3rd, but I don't really think that was my problem. Interviews seemed to let me down quite a bit.

Also, I didn't fundamentally change my form year on year, because, essentially I'm not anything was really wrong.

One thing I did do, when I got fed up with people not so good as I getting interviews and offers, was to ask people to see their forms to see where I'd gone wrong. Generally, when people have pupillage in the bag, they are happy to share. I'd defo recommend that.

I totally get what you mean by interviews! Well im glad it worked in the end, and Im sure they liked your perseverence :smile:
Reply 76
hmm first I tried to apply to different places every year, but it was difficult. I wanted to do employment and PI in London and unfortunately that involved a fair bit of repetition in applications. I'm sure my CV improved every year, particularly between the 3rd and the 4th I was a bit stuck for extra things to do. However I did:
* a part time LLM at LSE
* loads of pro bono (seriously loads - quite a few appellate employment cases before high court judges, and advocacy for different charities spanning employment, social security, and different types of education law)
* carried on with mooting, mini-pupillages etc
* managed to get jobs which involved advocacy throughout

As I said luck plays such a huge role. I do feel I was very very unlucky not to get it sooner. It was galling watching people getting interviews and offers every year thinking "I just know I'm better than they are"! And I was right!

I keep hearing this about luck, but i do think, the harder you work the luckier you get! (sometimes)
Original post by sarahjanedolly
Hi ProBonoQueen,

Congrats on not giving up and finally getting that deserved pupillage. Would you mind me asking how you much sway you think the LLM had? I have a first but from the OU which, although I would argue it should be, I know it is not very highly regarded.

Did you get your advocacy employment experience via FRU?

Thanks

Advocacy: I did most of mine at FRU (social security, employment, EAT, professional discipline - really tried it all). I also did education advocacy with IPSEA which I'd recommend just because it's a bit different. Also I sat and heard admissions and exclusions hearings (sort of judging!). Plus, the endless mooting, debating, etc. I also got jobs paying me to do advocacy, in my cases employment, though there are opportunities in civil areas too (normally this is just an option after you have completed the Bar course though).

LLM: Not sure. I didn't really want to do it, and only did because I could do it part time with a job that was quite well paid and so thought it might help. Lots of chambers have points systems for interviews, and you do get an extra "point" for having one under most systems. But then again, the time and money it takes up, you could probably get other points more easily! That said I did spent most of my interview where I got pupillage discussing my LLM options, and they liked the clear interest I had in the law they practised. TBH I think a 1st from OU looks impressive (were you working while you did it?), I had a 2.1 from Oxford, but - despite the large number of Oxbridge types - most Chambers seem to be more concerned with 1sts than which uni.
Good luck all for next year. Great to see everyone planning ahead. This is a great thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Does anyone here recon its even worth applying to any commercial/chancery sets in London if you didn't go to Oxford/Cambridge or their foreign equivalents? Looking at the last few tenants taken on and pupils is rather depressing reading for someone who went to a red brick russel group uni t'up north!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending