The Student Room Group

Getting a job at Topshop?!?!

I am 17 and have been looking for a job for what seems like forever:frown:
I got really excited when I heard that Topshop were recruiting and looking for Sales Advisers. I went into the shop and asked one of the staff where I should hand my CV in. They told me to go to the till and when I did the woman told me she was going to talk to the store manager and when she got back she asked if I had retail experience and when I said no she looked at me in a really condescending way and I gave her my CV anyway. She almost sniggered which I thought was quite rude and now I feel as though I don't have a chance!:frown::mad:
My question is will my cv even get to the manager or will they just chuck it away before they decide I seriously have no chance?!:mad:
Anyone else had this experience ?? Will I get an interview? :frown:
Reply 1
I'm 16 and work at Topshop and had no previous retail experience. My advice to you is try another store if there is one near you or try and ring the store and ask for the manager and explain about how rude the staff were on the till!
Reply 2
always give your cv directly to the manager
Hey girl, the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I wasn't even asked about experience but when I handed in my CV the girl just glared at me as if to say 'why are you even bothering'... However a few days later the manager invited me to the interview. WELL i have to be honest and tell you although this was a learning curve, it was the WORST experience of my whole life!! There was around 30 applicants in the store for the interview and we were all put into groups of around 5, I was the youngest person out of everyone and was surrounded by fashion students, fashion graduates, and people who had previously worked in fashion and retail. I was 16 and had no experience so as you can imagine i felt SO awkward, every single person made me feel so uncomfortable when doing the group tasks, i was practically ignored half the time and when we presented our ideas to the other 25 candidates and the current store employees i could literally hear girls sniggering and looking at me as if to say 'just be quiet'.

It is such a bitchy environment so if you get called for an interview I hope you have a lot of confidence, by all means do not let me put you off, as you may actually have a great time! However my experience was AWFUL and i feel that the current employees literally went out of their way to make me look and feel stupid. Now i look back on it i just laugh, who do they honestly think they are lol? They're SALES ASSISTANTS, not managing directors, pftt.
Reply 4
Original post by bethany-emma
Hey girl, the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I wasn't even asked about experience but when I handed in my CV the girl just glared at me as if to say 'why are you even bothering'... However a few days later the manager invited me to the interview. WELL i have to be honest and tell you although this was a learning curve, it was the WORST experience of my whole life!! There was around 30 applicants in the store for the interview and we were all put into groups of around 5, I was the youngest person out of everyone and was surrounded by fashion students, fashion graduates, and people who had previously worked in fashion and retail. I was 16 and had no experience so as you can imagine i felt SO awkward, every single person made me feel so uncomfortable when doing the group tasks, i was practically ignored half the time and when we presented our ideas to the other 25 candidates and the current store employees i could literally hear girls sniggering and looking at me as if to say 'just be quiet'.

It is such a bitchy environment so if you get called for an interview I hope you have a lot of confidence, by all means do not let me put you off, as you may actually have a great time! However my experience was AWFUL and i feel that the current employees literally went out of their way to make me look and feel stupid. Now i look back on it i just laugh, who do they honestly think they are lol? They're SALES ASSISTANTS, not managing directors, pftt.

Hi there, I thought it was only me. I actually completely agree with you, and even though I haven't been called for interview yet, I don't really think I want to be! The whole atmosphere in there was horrible and didn't think it was funny to apply for a job. Seriously. Say I did get the job.... if they are bad now what then?! Thanks for your reply:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending