The Student Room Group

Is geography A level worth taking?

I took geography as a GCSE and was wondering if its worth taking as an a level? On my induction day at college I saw the essay question that you have to write for the exam and it put me off a bit...?
Reply 1
You can't judge the subject based upon the questions in the exams. Why not take a look at the content and see if it interests you? Geography is a well regarded A level, so in that sense it is worth taking it.
But if you have no real interest in the subject, why bother?
Reply 2
If you really enjoy geography then take it for A level. I remember being told about the essay questions but after doing a few practice ones I found them quite easy, its like everything once you get used to it then it is usually okay
Reply 3
im about to go into year 12 and don't really understand a levels. can someone please explain to me AS and A2 and also what sort of ums and grades are needed for top units???
Hmm, there's a LOT of content to learn, but the grade boundaries are pretty low :dontknow: If you enjoy the subject, go for it.
Reply 5
The question you will have looked at will obviously seem hard and make the course look daunting, but this is only because you haven't studied it yet! If you like Geography then you should take it, don't be put off it from one silly question.
Original post by Millerman
im about to go into year 12 and don't really understand a levels. can someone please explain to me AS and A2 and also what sort of ums and grades are needed for top units???

AS accounts for 50% of your overall A Level and is taken during the first year of sixth form (Year 12/Lower Sixth). A2 is studied in the second year and makes up that other 50%, so AS and A2 combine to make a full A Level qualification. Most subjects are out of 400 UMS, with the exception of Mathematics and the sciences, where it's out of 600 UMS.

As for top grades:

A* at A level requires 80% of available UMS + 90% of available UMS in A2 Modules
A at A level requires 80% of available UMS
B at A level requires 70% of available UMS
Agree with the other people who've posted it, only do the subjects you'll enjoy.

If you like geography, go for it. The workload and the essay writing probably seems a tad intimidating now, but you'll quickly adapt to A Levels and the new style of learning. The question might just be difficult because you haven't learnt how to answer it yet - all the more reason to study geography!

A word of caution though, definitely only do it if you enjoy it. Despite it being a fairly easy A Level with a pretty small workload, a lot of people in my class have struggled this year because they lack enthusiasm for the subject. Enjoyment is key at A Level, I took Chemistry 'because I was good at it', but found it ridiculously dull and dropped it after getting a U in my January exam.
Reply 8
Original post by megantrace
AS accounts for 50% of your overall A Level and is taken during the first year of sixth form (Year 12/Lower Sixth). A2 is studied in the second year and makes up that other 50%, so AS and A2 combine to make a full A Level qualification. Most subjects are out of 400 UMS, with the exception of Mathematics and the sciences, where it's out of 600 UMS.

As for top grades:

A* at A level requires 80% of available UMS + 90% of available UMS in A2 Modules
A at A level requires 80% of available UMS
B at A level requires 70% of available UMS

Thanks. So in maths and further maths what would i need for an A*?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending