The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You should have checked the amount first if i had an extra £4000 i would be questioning it. Although you could have kept that money to one side so you wouldnt be broke.
Reply 21
Original post by Klix88
Not true. Sadly, you do still have to pay back your SF loan if you move abroad:

"If you go abroad for more than 3 months you need to fill in an overseas income assessment form. Student Finance England will then work out your repayments"

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/repayments

What if he leaves and doesn't tell them - they're not gonna get the police on him because its a civil matter. The same way the bank can't chase you down in another country.

By the way I'm not advocating running unless you can deal with 30 years away from the uk - this is the time for which your debt will be wiped off regardless of circumstance.
Original post by chikane
You should have checked the amount first if i had an extra £4000 i would be questioning it. Although you could have kept that money to one side so you wouldnt be broke.

Exactly this. You either return it wait for it to be asked for it. You can't spend their money and than complain when you can't pay it back. And saying I'm just a graduate and didn't know about it is a bit of a cop out. You are an adult. You are educated therefore you should be able to read a set of terms before agreeing to it. If not you should be man enough to face up to the consequences. Instead of complaining about it like a child.
Reply 23
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
Exactly this. You either return it wait for it to be asked for it. You can't spend their money and than complain when you can't pay it back. And saying I'm just a graduate and didn't know about it is a bit of a cop out. You are an adult. You are educated therefore you should be able to read a set of terms before agreeing to it. If not you should be man enough to face up to the consequences. Instead of complaining about it like a child.

My cousin had to repay her grant cause she dropped out and didn't tell them and she spent all of the money, which i thought was a stupid thing to do but she was in first year so didn't know. Whereas op you got paid 3/4 years of finance so you should clearly know how much you would be getting each year. As a graduate your not very bright.
Reply 24
Original post by Klix88
Not true. Sadly, you do still have to pay back your SF loan if you move abroad:

"If you go abroad for more than 3 months you need to fill in an overseas income assessment form. Student Finance England will then work out your repayments"

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/repayments

If you don't live in the UK how will they find you and make you pay it back? they can't. Like the guy said up above he moved house and Santander couldn't find him.
Reply 25
Original post by chikane
My cousin had to repay her grant cause she dropped out and didn't tell them and she spent all of the money, which i thought was a stupid thing to do but she was in first year so didn't know. Whereas op you got paid 3/4 years of finance so you should clearly know how much you would be getting each year. As a graduate your not very bright.

It was in the first year, fresh out of college and homeless for that matter. Was told by advocate to fill in forms apply for it all and they will determine what i'm entitled to. like I said wasn't my fault they made a miscalculation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by newgrad101
It was in the first year you numpty, fresh out of college and homeless for that matter. Was told by advocate to fill in forms apply for it all and they will determine what i'm entitled to. like I said wasn't my fault they made a miscalculation.

You still haven't answered my question earlier about what grants you actually received. How did the overpayment actually occur?
Original post by randomd_love
Or like others have said: student finance take their money through your salary because they have your NI number, so to get around this you can emigrate.

No, with grant overpayments they don't take it through your PAYE, they take it directly like normal debt.
Reply 28
It was in the first year you numpty, fresh out of college and homeless for that matter. Was told by advocate to fill in forms apply for it all and they will determine what i'm entitled to. like I said wasn't my fault they made a miscalculation.

Why not include that in your original post? How was i or anyone to know it was in your first year.
Nobody gets paid that much grant in their first year unless they are claiming Grants for Dependants.

Did you remember to do your finalisation?
Reply 30
:lolwut:
I haven't been paid student finance for 3/4 years.
I do know how much I should get every year.
I'm not a graduate.
I'm not the OP.

Of course your not op lol... i was agreeing with you :rolleyes:
Original post by chikane
Of course your not op lol... i was agreeing with you :rolleyes:

Oh sorry didn't realise. I apologise. :getmecoat:
Reply 32
Oh sorry didn't realise. I apologise. :getmecoat:

No worries young one :wink:
Bit drastic to move country to avoid a bit of debt...next time try reading every single thing you sign from beginning to end. And if it's too good to be true it probably is. You get sent a breakdown from SF telling you exactly what tuition loan, maintenance loan and grant you receive. Did you even read it? I would definitely notice if I suddenly got £4k extra, or surely you would have asked friends if they got that much too. You can't skirt around that kind of common sense with "I was a young fresher", everyone else seems to manage...
Nobody just gets overpaid £4k of grant in one year, that doesn't happen. Unless it's PLA or ADG and more is applied for than the student is eligible for. Or CCG and more is applied for than is required.
If it was in the first year that's pretty odd and annoying they decide to declare this discovery of overpayment to you now. As much as you are spending their money, it's still as bitchy as Inland Revenue overpaying over a year then saying you owe them...

I had to drop out in my first year due to being in hospital. I was mean to suspend my studies but the Uni's admin was too incompetent to handle the request or notify Student Finance. When I called SFE they told me the university had to contact them stating what I was meant to be doing. I spent months emailing the Uni constantly trying to get my re enrollment arranged but they went and changed all their staff handling my case over Christmas -_-

Long story short I recieved a letter at the start of my second year stating the overpayment for the time I wasn't attending and they would take the money out of the coming years' grants. Fair enough. Why did they not acknowledge any overpayment at the sart of your first year and take it out of your funding for consequent years? 0_0
Reply 36
Original post by infairverona
Bit drastic to move country to avoid a bit of debt...next time try reading every single thing you sign from beginning to end. And if it's too good to be true it probably is. You get sent a breakdown from SF telling you exactly what tuition loan, maintenance loan and grant you receive. Did you even read it? I would definitely notice if I suddenly got £4k extra, or surely you would have asked friends if they got that much too. You can't skirt around that kind of common sense with "I was a young fresher", everyone else seems to manage...

Clearly not, as numerous people are overpaid all the time as mentioned in the room. Not everyone is caple of dealing with finance some students have learning disabilities some are disabled. Not everyone switches on to the fact how much they should and shouldn't be getting. I'm a true believer in, if a company makes a mistake they should deal with it and learn from the mistake, instead of penalizing us folk. #corporategreed
(edited 10 years ago)
Clearly not, as numerous people are overpaid all the time as mentioned in the room. Not everyone is caple of dealing with finance some students have learning disabilities some are disabled. Not everyone switches on to the fact how much they should and shouldn't be getting. I'm a true believer in, if a company makes a mistake they should deal with it and learn from the mistake, instead of penalizing us folk. #corporategreed

Are you disabled?

Perhaps when you take out a huge loan such as the one required for university the common sense thing to do IS to "switch on" to how much exactly you are borrowing and how much you are entitled otherwise? I mean if you're smart enough to get into uni, you're smart enough to handle your own finances like the adult you are, no? YOU signed to the fact that you will pay back any overpayment. Yes you may consider it corporate greed, but at the end of the day that's how things work - if you sign to it, that's it. I'm a true believer in people upholding their end of a contract which they have signed. Mistakes happen and you signed to say you would repay it. Maybe don't take out a student loan if you consider yourself too young to deal with it? Just an idea.
(edited 10 years ago)

You still haven't said exactly which grants you were paid. Nobody would be paid £4k of Maintenance Grant for one year since it is above the maximum. So what is it that you were overpaid?

So if a company makes a mistake and you benefit. Then everything is well and good.
However when you make a mistake and cost the company money and the company want their money back it's corporate greed?

Talk about double standards. Having learning disabilities or other disabilities doesn't necessarily mean you can't handle your own finances. In fact if you said that to a lot of disable people they would probably feel insulted.

Latest