The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Nightclub bouncers rough to boys, harmless to girls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
(edited 10 years ago)
I had a slight altercation friday night with some bouncers of a local bar. Plan was to meet a couple of my friends in there, I got there a little late and they were already inside, so I joined the queue on my own. I should point out now, not one person in front of me was searched or asked to empty their pockets. Most were girls, but tehre were a couple of men amongst them.

So I got to the door and one of them herded me to one side and said, "turn out your pockets, please". I said, "Well why, I didn't see you search anyone else?". He said "Im not going to argue with you, just empty your pockets and then you can go in." Annoyed at being arbitrarily singled out, and actually feeling quite uncomfortable with the situation, I calmly said, "No, forget it. I'll just go somewhere else". Then he started getting right in my face saying, "What you trying to hide? You think I'm a mug? What have you got?". I said "I'm not hiding anything, I just don't want to be searched for no good reason" (this was the truth, I had nothing on me but my wallet and phone).

I started to walk away, and a second bouncer stepped in front of me blocking my path, saying, "Whoa, you're not going anywhere, mate". I said "you can't keep me here", and went to walk around him. At that point the first bouncer grabbed me by the arm, which I yanked away from him away immediately, turned around and shouted, "Don't ****ing touch me, I'll have you done for assault!", and walked away, went to another pub round the corner that doesn't have boucers, and got my friends to meet me there. Great start to the night, huh? :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bassetts
What if you can't easily get back to your home because it's a long walk away or a taxi ride away?

As the poster above said. Mcdonalds/Subway.
Reply 83
Original post by Greenlaner
I had a slight altercation friday night with some bouncers of a local bar. Plan was to meet a couple of my friends in there, I got there a little late and they were already inside, so I joined the queue on my own. I should point out now, not one person in front of me was searched or asked to empty their pockets. Most were girls, but tehre were a couple of men amongst them.

So I got to the door and one of them herded me to one side and said, "turn out your pockets, please". I said, "Well why, I didn't see you search anyone else?". He said "Im not going to argue with you, just empty your pockets and then you can go in." Annoyed at being arbitrarily singled out, and actually feeling quite uncomfortable with the situation, I calmly said, "No, forget it. I'll just go somewhere else". Then he started getting right in my face saying, "What you trying to hide? You think I'm a mug? What have you got?". I said "I'm not hiding anything, I just don't want to be searched for no good reason" (this was the truth, I had nothing on me but my wallet and phone).

I started to walk away, and a second bouncer stepped in front of me blocking my path, saying, "Whoa, you're not going anywhere, mate". I said "you can't keep me here", and went to walk around him. At that point the first bouncer grabbed me by the arm, which I yanked away from him away immediately, turned around and shouted, "Don't ****ing touch me, I'll have you done for assault!", and walked away, went to another pub round the corner that doesn't have boucers, and got my friends to meet me there. Great start to the night, huh? :rolleyes:

It's a shame that with no real powers (apart from those everyone is afforded under common law)- bouncers feel the need to throw their weight around and be bullies just like this situation. It goes without saying though that a fair few bouncers are thugs, current/ ex criminals with no real prospects moving forward, no chance or intellectual capability to get into the police service, hence the need to, again, act like bullies on a power trip. On the other hand, they have a demanding job and can be heavily scrutinised if something goes wrong, that's why they need not mess around when it comes to ejecting people and intervening with situations inside the venues.
I've had a few run ins with bouncers most notably when I haven't even had a drink. The worst was when they made me walk in a straight line to get in vodka bleeding revolution of all places and I was sober :angry: they also managed to ruin a friend's birthday party this last week by manhandling my friend who was peacefully stood at the bar. Complete power abusers who deserve the stick they get.

Although this one club and its bouncers are remarkable, never had any trouble and they don't even hang around inside like vultures waiting for prey. Although thats more down to the club and the people it attracts, you'd be lucky to see a half serious fight in there amongst the goths and 'geek' kids.
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol @ some of the whining here. I've just moved back from Spain (where I've lived for four years) and the difference between bouncers there and here - some of you don't know you're born!

There's no hesitation in grabbing you by the throat if you kick off in Spain because they're immediately letting you know who's going to be in charge, and if you don't simmer down they only need what...5 seconds pressure on the carotid till you're passed out on the floor?

Broken fingers and wrists are also a pretty common way of getting people to snap out of whatever aggressive funk they're in - and when I say common I mean maybe 2-3 instances a week. God help you if you're in a particularly vindictive mood as you'll get an open palmed slap in such a fashion that they 'drag' your face down and depending on how strong the bouncer is, the 'I've had a stroke' look doesn't go for weeks.

Not trying to turn this into a big d1ck competition but the notion that you're hard done by is laughable. As has been mentioned, their job is not to be arbiters of fairness - they're there specifically to pass judgements on who they let in. Do you have a legitimate reason for getting in? I don't give a toss. Would you get aggressive and kick off or attack the validity of an interviewer/HR manager because they didn't give you a job you'd applied for even though you had a legitimate claim to it?

'Oh but they ruined my night'. Behave yourself, you're old enough to be drinking so don't act like a child. If you're at Uni you'll have maybe 3 years worth of nights out and probably be only 21 when you're finished. Not getting into some clubs on some nights isn't the end of the world.

Are some bouncers absolute nobends? Aye, course they are - they get hungry on the power. On the flipside, if I was working an environment where my personal safety was at risk and I was around intoxicated people 95% of the time I'd probably shoot first and ask questions later, too.

They aren't the police, they don't have some sort of obligation to your safety (or feelings, lol) any further than legal liability specifically states.
Original post by StretfordEnd
Lol @ some of the whining here. I've just moved back from Spain (where I've lived for four years) and the difference between bouncers there and here - some of you don't know you're born!

There's no hesitation in grabbing you by the throat if you kick off in Spain because they're immediately letting you know who's going to be in charge, and if you don't simmer down they only need what...5 seconds pressure on the carotid till you're passed out on the floor?

Broken fingers and wrists are also a pretty common way of getting people to snap out of whatever aggressive funk they're in - and when I say common I mean maybe 2-3 instances a week. God help you if you're in a particularly vindictive mood as you'll get an open palmed slap in such a fashion that they 'drag' your face down and depending on how strong the bouncer is, the 'I've had a stroke' look doesn't go for weeks.

Not trying to turn this into a big d1ck competition but the notion that you're hard done by is laughable. As has been mentioned, their job is not to be arbiters of fairness - they're there specifically to pass judgements on who they let in. Do you have a legitimate reason for getting in? I don't give a toss. Would you get aggressive and kick off or attack the validity of an interviewer/HR manager because they didn't give you a job you'd applied for even though you had a legitimate claim to it?

'Oh but they ruined my night'. Behave yourself, you're old enough to be drinking so don't act like a child. If you're at Uni you'll have maybe 3 years worth of nights out and probably be only 21 when you're finished. Not getting into some clubs on some nights isn't the end of the world.

Are some bouncers absolute nobends? Aye, course they are - they get hungry on the power. On the flipside, if I was working an environment where my personal safety was at risk and I was around intoxicated people 95% of the time I'd probably shoot first and ask questions later, too.

They aren't the police, they don't have some sort of obligation to your safety (or feelings, lol) any further than legal liability specifically states.

I don't think it's particularly legal of them to break people's fingers (at least not in the UK)
I know numerous people who have been assaulted by bouncers (some who were being dickheads, some who weren't), and I have been grabbed round the throat and flung across the street for nothing. The police don't care, they let the bouncers kick a few heads without a second glance.
Original post by de_monies
I don't think it's particularly legal of them to break people's fingers (at least not in the UK)

Exactly. They (almost always) comply with the law and the law is very much on the side of the 'consumer'. The bouncers in the UK are immeasurably better than any other European country I've visited with the possible exception of the Czech Republic, where they are bloody delightful.
You are clearly a disgusting bouncer; who as a result of cognitive dissonance: i'm powerful, but people use me as a common gatekeeper- need to try and repair the damage done to your ego by who knows/ who ****ing cares what. I've never met a bouncer who wasn't a human that was affecting the human race negatively. All bouncers; and i mean this, if youve ever exercised your power because you could without due cause- are scum. If you meet the criterion you are a waste of flesh. End your pathetic existence you atavistic lump of ****.
Reply 91
1). They are always angry because they lack the prerequisites for getting a proper job.

2). Bewbs.
Original post by Callofdutymw3
Anyone else notice this? They seem to like roughing up boys but all they do is leer and stare at the girls.

Am I stereotyping? Yes. But I think I have a point.

I've never ever seen a bouncer being rough to a girl I'm sure they're too scared of the consequences

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because men often get aggressive when drunk fighting over the girls.Because girls are treated as an economic resource in clubs, they are in high demand and men low demand.

Add into the equation that females are indoctrinated to fear slut shaming and that makes the type of girl that a guy wants to 'fight over' even more rare.
Reply 93
If you have problems with the bouncers of a particular venue then hit them in the financials and take your business elsewhere. Perhaps shoot off an email to the manager the next day alerting to them about what has happened and why you wont be giving them your money anymore.

A friend of mine once had a problem with a bouncer being aggressive to one of her friends. She refused to go back to the bar. Unfortunatly for the bar she was also the organiser of the uni's biggest bar crawl event and had that bar removed from the event for all future bar crawls. Apparently the manager literally begged them to return as it made such a huge dent in the venue's yearly takings.
Bouncers are generally the lowest form of life

If you care enough, buy a discrete hidden camera, stay 100% on the right side of the law and take them to court if they are physically violent or abusive in any way, if you don't have hard evidence, they will back each other and you will get nowhere.

Original post by holmes221
That's because men often get aggressive when drunk fighting over the girls.Because girls are treated as an economic resource in clubs, they are in high demand and men low demand.

Add into the equation that females are indoctrinated to fear slut shaming and that makes the type of girl that a guy wants to 'fight over' even more rare.

This is why you can't blame the girls themselves.

If you are running a nightclub you want as many girls to be there as you can possibly get - all the dumb schmucks will be falling over themselves to get in and buy them drinks
Walked to a weatherspoon....

"Your too drunk, can't let you in"

I don't drink:facepalm:
Original post by King Leonidas
Walked to a weatherspoon....

"Your too drunk, can't let you in"

I don't drink:facepalm:

Lol! That must have sucked!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a girl and once there was the unfortunate night where I was too too drunk, like it was the most drunk I'd been. I tried to get into a club but I was refused entry assuming because I looked too drunk and also apparently I gave them a £10 note instead of my ID twice even though I was 18. Whilst waiting outside the club after I was shouting (so I'm told) and the bouncer apparently came like an inch close to my face and started shouting aggressively and swearing at me, I was so bad that night though. I must have deserved it

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's quite ridiculous how they barely and rarely search girls, whilst searching every guy who goes through the doors.

I've found for this reason girls always stash away the drugs, defeating the whole point of security.

If that isn't sexism I don't know what is.
i hate bouncers, absolute scum and betraying us men. Sexist pigs.

Not all girls are innocent and sweet.

Latest

Trending

Trending