The Student Room Group

What subjects are required for software engineering in Alevels?

I want to become a software engineer in the future, probably a system software engineer. And i want to get a job in companies like apple, google, microsoft.
But i have no idea what subjects do i need to choose for my Alevels. Please help me decide the subjects that'll help me for that, in my Alevels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ayeshakhakwani
I want to become a software engineer in the future, probably a system software engineer. And i want to get a job in companies like apple, google, microsoft.
But i have no idea what subjects do i need to choose for my Alevels. Please help me decide the subjects that'll help me for that, in my Alevels.

Ideally check the course you want to do and check the unis your interested in to see the subject requirements.
Usually maths..........
Original post by Iqbal007
Ideally check the course you want to do and check the unis your interested in to see the subject requirements.
Usually maths..........

Thank you! But could you help me with what subjects would generally be required in Alevels if i want to become a software engineer?
Reply 3
Maths definitely. Probably computing and possibly physics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ayeshakhakwani

At Cambridge it's maths, further maths and physics. But at most places Maths and I.T/ computing will be ideal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths with a preference for FM, Physics and/or computing
Reply 6
Please please don't pick ict. Even imperial's computing department say they would prefer you not to have it, stick with maths, further maths, then preferably a science then just something you enjoy.
What is my future if i study with media??
What subjects did you take? I see this was 7 years ago. My son wants to do the same. Could you advise me

Quick Reply

Latest