The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will probably end up on this thread quite a lot.

Original post by Hfranklinw
A few banks offer multiple spring insight program's, would it hinder an application to apply to more then one? It may show that your uncertain of what department you want to go into..

Not too sure about the banks accepting more than one application, my instinct would be that they only accept one application. I know that Citi offer a separate programme for those who are unsure of the division they want to go in to.
Hi guys I've started this thread to help us all share information and help each other get a spring insight this coming year. First question:

A few banks offer multiple spring insight program's, would it hinder an application to apply to more then one? It may show that your uncertain of what department you want to go into..

Apply to all the banks but don't apply to more than one department. A lot of banks offer division specific SWs whereas others just give an insight into all areas. So, stick with the latter if you're not sure. My advice would be to try find out what you want to do, the internet is bombarded with resources about the different divisions and S&T vs IBD etc. Should give you a strong enough flavour.

This is free and gives you a good overview of all the different areas: http://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/careerguide/

Countless resources like this but that should get you going :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

Does anyone have a list for when the banks open? Could be quite useful for people - also when are you guys thinking of applying?
Original post by Applicant101
Hi guys,

Does anyone have a list for when the banks open? Could be quite useful for people - also when are you guys thinking of applying?

I do. I have a list of links to banks SWs but no dates, so will just keep checking. Applying as soon as they open. Most open around September, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
I do. I have a list of links to banks SWs but no dates, so will just keep checking. Applying as soon as they open. Most open around September, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, yes I know which banks you can apply to etc. just not specific date for each.. I think alot open in Sept. I'm going to spread the apps though, I will do few when they open and then some perhaps when I start uni.
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heard that the majority of banks for SWs don't process on a rolling basis, surely it would be more beneficial applying in October/November following career events and after the chance to get involved in extra-curriculars at uni?
Original post by JWz
Heard that the majority of banks for SWs don't process on a rolling basis, surely it would be more beneficial applying in October/November following career events and after the chance to get involved in extra-curriculars at uni?

I don't know. I've heard the opposite. I've also heard that some banks say they do that but actually recruit on a rolling basis. It's like when they say they recruit from a diverse range of universities and you look around the room and see 70% have offers from LSE. One summer intern I spoke to said to me there is no point in waiting to join extra-curriculars because by the time you've joined and sent off your SW application you won't have done anything anyway and your College ECs should be sufficient as long as you intend to join ECs at university. Take that with a pinch of salt though, it was just his opinion. I take your point with the career events though, it's a difficult one but if you already know quite a lot about a bank from an insight programme or something, can't imagine it's worth waiting for the career events. Anyone have any idea what is the best strategy to follow when applying for SWs? Perhaps someone who has already done it and was successful rather than us guessing or saying what we've heard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I don't know. I've heard the opposite. I've also heard that some banks say they do that but actually recruit on a rolling basis. It's like when they say they recruit from a diverse range of universities and you look around the room and see 70% have offers from LSE. One summer intern I spoke to said to me there is no point in waiting to join extra-curriculars because by the time you've joined and sent off your SW application you won't have done anything anyway and your College ECs should be sufficient as long as you intend to join ECs at university. Take that with a pinch of salt though, it was just his opinion. I take your point with the career events though, it's a difficult one but if you already know quite a lot about a bank from an insight programme or something, can't imagine it's worth waiting for the career events. Anyone have any idea what is the best strategy to follow when applying for SWs? Perhaps someone who has already done it and was successful rather than us guessing or saying what we've heard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I suppose it would make little difference. I was under the impression anyway that the career fairs were mainly just to get more applicants to the programmes.

What courses has everyone applying got offers from?
Original post by JWz
Yeah I suppose it would make little difference. I was under the impression anyway that the career fairs were mainly just to get more applicants to the programmes.

What courses has everyone applying got offers from?

BSc Spring Week Studies- from a target. Sorry guys looks like I have one of the offers in the bag already,
Isn't this a bit early?

Some people will be bracing themselves for making apps at LSE and then find themselves taking a place at Kent on August 15th.. plans shattered.

heart attack central
Reply 11
Do you know what site the banks use for the tests? And which types of test they use?
Do you know what site the banks use for the tests? And which types of test they use?

Credit Suisse uses Kenexa I think but others will use SHL. They're the most common.

Verbal and Numerical Reasoning are almost always tested on with the latter being more common if there is only one test. Some banks also go the whole way and add Logic/Diagrammatical Reasoning as well, but I think that's literally one or two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
So Barclays is open, what else is. I can see alot of summer internship applications are open but not spring weeks?!
So Barclays is open, what else is. I can see alot of summer internship applications are open but not spring weeks?!

I'm genuinely horrified Barclays have opened so early - caught me completely off guard. Most open in September.

I take it most people are going to wait for their A Level results/uni confirmation before applying, right? I mean, I'm one for applying early but this early is just ridiculous. I'm going to get my application ready, practice some tests but not send it off till at least after my results, it's too early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm genuinely horrified Barclays have opened so early - caught me completely off guard. Most open in September.

I take it most people are going to wait for their A Level results/uni confirmation before applying, right? I mean, I'm one for applying early but this early is just ridiculous. I'm going to get my application ready, practice some tests but not send it off till at least after my results, it's too early.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its insane how early they are opening this year!!! I always thought they opened later in the year, most the sites that list deadlines haven't started listing the 2014 ones yet [ have a few up so far, also on the numerical testing does anyone know where I can practice?

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did I miss the memo going around saying that it was first come first served? :confused:

I don't see the hurry, I'm sure applying by Sept/late October, you're still in good stead and in that way can also attempt to build on your CV in some ways, rather than applying hastily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How the absolute --- is barclays open now?!?!?!?! Especially as the majority of people don't even know what uni they're going to? Is it rolling basis :O
Original post by Tomatochuckers
How the absolute --- is barclays open now?!?!?!?! Especially as the majority of people don't even know what uni they're going to? Is it rolling basis :O

It's not on a rolling basis lol, just don't leave it till Christmas break.
Original post by Cutmeloose
It's not on a rolling basis lol, just don't leave it till Christmas break.

http://graduate.barclayscapital.com/emea/application-process

Second line- 'we recruit on a rolling basis'

Either way maybe that's just for the summer internships and grad roles. I won't submit mine till after results day and even then I'll probably wait to build up my CV a bit through ECs.

Latest

Trending

Trending